WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
It seems like the Q isn't very well represented in these projected rosters. Are there any 19 year forwards from Quebec who have a realistic shot? Or goalies?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Brayden Point
Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Mitchell Marner
Lawson Crouse - Mathew Barzal - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Travis Konecny - Jayce Hawryluk
Daniel Sprong

Travis Sanheim - Jeremy Roy
Haydn Fleury - Joe Hicketts
Jakob Chychrun - Roland McKeown
Sean Day

MacKenzie Blackwood
Mason McDonald

Last edited:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good thing Canada won it this year. Next year's roster won't be nearly as strong and some of the other countries will be better than they were this year. They will still have a good chance but we need this year's gold badly.

I wonder about Sam Bennett and what Calgary will do there. Since he's missing so much time this season I guess there's a fair chance he plays in the OHL (and for Canada) next season.

TCascagnette

Jun 19, 2014
Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Brayden Point
Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Mitchell Marner
Lawson Crouse - Mathew Barzal - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Travis Konecny - Jayce Hawryluk
Daniel Sprong

Travis Sanheim - Jeremy Roy
Haydn Fleury - Joe Hicketts
Jakob Chychrun - Roland McKeown
Sean Day

MacKenzie Blackwood
Mason McDonald

This. Most realistic prediction for Canada I've seen

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
After a great tournament resulting in a Canadian Gold, nothing better than winning the year after and doing it all again. Next year it'll be in Helenski, Finland. Canada will be in the same pool as Sweden, USA, Denmark and Switzerland.

This won't have many returnees (only up to 5 returnees excluding McDavid). Good year for Canada to have a good 2015 draft year because we'll be needing some good players out of that one IMO. Last time we were in Europe playing in the World Juniors, it wasn't good (2014). Hopefully lessons are learned from playing in Europe and I hope they check out Guy Boucher for a coaching job, his team is #1 in the Swiss League and he's coaching it. Maybe Ralph Krueger has a similar role he had for the Sochi team as an advisor for the bigger ice. Don Hay coached the 2013 U18s to Gold but he had a pretty stacked team including McDavid. Jody Hull just won the Ivan Hlinka is a pretty dominating manner, he's a good one because I think alot of the players from the Ivan Hlinka team will be on the World Junior team like Strome, Marner, Merkley, Crouse, Konecny, Barzal, J.Roy, Booth or Sawchenko possibly.

Well here's my early long shot prediction at the roster, going to need some quality 19 year olds to come through.

Dal Colle - Bennett - Marner
Perlini - Barzal - Virtanen
Crouse - Fabbri - Bleackley
Lemieux - McCann - Hawryluk
Point

Fleury - J.Roy
Sanheim - Carrier
Pilon - Hicketts
Chychurn

Blackwood
MacDonald

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
After a great tournament resulting in a Canadian Gold, nothing better than winning the year after and doing it all again. Next year it'll be in Helenski, Finland. Canada will be in the same pool as Sweden, USA, Denmark and Switzerland.

This won't have many returnees (only up to 5 returnees excluding McDavid). Good year for Canada to have a good 2015 draft year because we'll be needing some good players out of that one IMO. Last time we were in Europe playing in the World Juniors, it wasn't good (2014). Hopefully lessons are learned from playing in Europe and I hope they check out Guy Boucher for a coaching job, his team is #1 in the Swiss League and he's coaching it. Maybe Ralph Krueger has a similar role he had for the Sochi team as an advisor for the bigger ice. Don Hay coached the 2013 U18s to Gold but he had a pretty stacked team including McDavid. Jody Hull just won the Ivan Hlinka is a pretty dominating manner, he's a good one because I think alot of the players from the Ivan Hlinka team will be on the World Junior team like Strome, Marner, Merkley, Crouse, Konecny, Barzal, J.Roy, Booth or Sawchenko possibly.

Boucher is not a bad idea, but I think HC would be more inclined to stick with a coach working in the CHL.

Krueger is not even working in hockey. He's the chairman of the Southampton Football Club, as of last year anyway... don't know if his employment status has changed since last time I checked.

I think it will be either Dale Hunter, or Scott Walker taking over from Groulx.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Boucher is not a bad idea, but I think HC would be more inclined to stick with a coach working in the CHL.

Krueger is not even working in hockey. He's the chairman of the Southampton Football Club, as of last year anyway... don't know if his employment status has changed since last time I checked.

I think it will be either Dale Hunter, or Scott Walker taking over from Groulx.
I don't know about Dale.. On the big ice, he doesn't to be a coach that can adapt and play a less physical brand of hockey. I think he can make a group of hockey players work hard and get them going at their best but the system might get burned with more speed and skill from the Europeans.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't know about Dale.. On the big ice, he doesn't to be a coach that can adapt and play a less physical brand of hockey. I think he can make a group of hockey players work hard and get them going at their best but the system might get burned with more speed and skill from the Europeans.

He did coach this 1996 group to a gold medal at the Hlinka tournament. Not that I care one way or another about the Hlinka tournament, or read too much into the results of that summer tourney, but I don't buy your argument that he can't coach on big ice.

I think Dale is as qualified as any...but I'd be just as pleased if Walker went from Assistant Coach to Head Coach.

So long as HC maintains their Sochi blueprint and tic-tac-tao. I say giddy up.

avalanchenation*

Well here's my early long shot prediction at the roster, going to need some quality 19 year olds to come through.

Point

Fleury - J.Roy
Sanheim - Carrier
Pilon - Hicketts
Chychurn

Blackwood
MacDonald

Dal colle Fabbri Virtanen
Point Bennett Strome
Crouse Merkley Marner
Ho-sang Bleackley Konecny
Barzal

Hicketts Sanheim
Fleury Roy
Chabot Meloche

Blackwood
Booth

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Surprised how few people have Strome included but I must say he will need to work on his skating in the summer can't have slow players on the big ice.

Dal Colle-Bennett-Marner
Perlini-Strome-Fabbri
Crouse-Barzal-Virtanen
McCann-Bleackley-Point
Konecny

Fleury-Hicketts
Sanheim-Roy
Chychrun-Meloche
Wotherspoon

McDonald
Booth

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Groulx's not coming back as coach? Figured he would given he was the coach of our first gold team in yrs.

I heard that he said he didn't want to coach another junior team. I looked for the quote, but I was unable to find it. I'm going on the assumption that he's 1 and done.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The center position seems extremely weak relative to this year's team (I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bennett is in the NHL), and we all know how important that position is.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Point

Fleury - J.Roy
Sanheim - Carrier
Pilon - Hicketts
Chychurn

Blackwood
MacDonald

Crazy idea...how about sticking to the guy who won gold?? Why can't we bring back Groulx? I don't understand why we have to have different coaches every year. I can understand if Groulx doesn't want to do it again but if not why do we have to hire a new guy? Seems like every year we have a different guy behind the bench. I'd like HC to hire a national coach and have some consistency

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Essential to this team winning gold is having a strong defensman who can wear down the opposition's best such as Nurse. Best fit is Chychrun and Day. Two solid big guys that I'd like to see on the team as underagers.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Essential to this team winning gold is having a strong defensman who can wear down the opposition's best such as Nurse. Best fit is Chychrun and Day. Two solid big guys that I'd like to see on the team as underagers.

So the pairing we should rely most heavily on next year is two underagers?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

not just underagers. double underagers! 1998 born players in a tournament for 1996 born players. I'll be surprised highly if Chychrun makes the cut. I'll be shocked stupid if Day made the team. Other than Day's skating, there's nothing exceptional about his game to suggest he has a prayer of making any junior team until it's time for the 1998s to hit the ice... and maybe not even then he makes the cut.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
not just underagers. double underagers! 1998 born players in a tournament for 1996 born players. I'll be surprised highly if Chychrun makes the cut. I'll be shocked stupid if Day made the team. Other than Day's skating, there's nothing exceptional about his game to suggest he has a prayer of making any junior team until it's time for the 1998s to hit the ice... and maybe not even then he makes the cut.

Day's going to make the '98 team. HC isn't risking losing Chychrun to the USA, he still has dual citizenship and I'm assuming they want him in a Canadian jersey ASAP.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North

I said a big defenseman who can wear down the opposition's best. I don't mean in the sense of taking those big minutes, however someone who's strong enough to beat down the opposition's best. I don't want the team to be a bunch of defenders that just want to score and benefit the offense while not playing defense.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Day's going to make the '98 team. HC isn't risking losing Chychrun to the USA, he still has dual citizenship and I'm assuming they want him in a Canadian jersey ASAP.

They don't have to wait until the U20 tournament to do that. There's an IIHF U18 tournament coming up this April. He could very well be available.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Isn't that when the OHL playoffs commence?

mid to late March is when the POs commence. They are late this year due to a late start of the OHL season. (CHL has too many games in its sched. imo) Sarnia is not much of a threat to do anything in the POs. I'm just saying, he could very well be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad