WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Very weak defense core with Hicketts being the only returning player.

He was hands down the worst D-man last year, and he is Canada's only veteran with experience.

:(:(

He really shouldnt even be on the team this year. I am sure he will be but there are better options.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Crouse - Point - Marner
Beauviller - Strome - Konecny
Perron - Barzal - Gauthier
DeBrusk - Chartier - Hawryluk
Quenneville

Sanheim - Juulsen
Fleury - Hicketts
Chabot - McKweon
Roy

Blackwood
MacDonald
Sawchenko

I think Virtanen will also be let go for the tournament. In that case I'd cut Debrusk, move Chartier to 4LW, Quenneville to 4C and Gauthier to the 13th forward.

My oh my. Perron and Debrusk over Watson. This lineup can't be taken seriously, but the other lineup posted doesn't look that bad.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Somebody mentions in a couple pages back that Vancouver already mentioned they wouldn't be letting Virtanen or McCann play in the tourney.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
He really shouldnt even be on the team this year. I am sure he will be but there are better options.

Maybe he will get the Bigras treatment. Realistically he`s a lock though, with Lowry (his coach in Victoria) coaching the national team this year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Maybe he will get the Bigras treatment. Realistically he`s a lock though, with Lowry (his coach in Victoria) coaching the national team this year.

Steve Spott the Sequel. folks are killing my Christmas buzz already...and the camp roster hasn't been released yet.

to be honest, I have Hicketts in the 2nd pairing. I'd rather not take another 97 RHD and ask him to play LHD on European ice. And Chychrun is not the answer either. Sometimes what you have is what you have and you got to go with it.

and to say he was the worst d-man from last year's team isn't saying anything at all...as he was an underager playing on a pretty impressive group of 95s.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
[/B]

Steve Spott the Sequel. folks are killing my Christmas buzz already...and the camp roster hasn't been released yet.

to be honest, I have Hicketts in the 2nd pairing. I'd rather not take another 97 RHD and ask him to play LHD on European ice. And Chychrun is not the answer either. Sometimes what you have is what you have and you got to go with it.

and to say he was the worst d-man from last year's team isn't saying anything at all...as he was an underager playing on a pretty impressive group of 95s.

I`m maintaining an open mind with respect to Lowry. Even without the NHLers, the pieces are there for another gold medal-winning team this year. He`ll have some hard decisions to make regarding some of the under-performing CHL starts like Dal Colle and Perlini, but that`s fine. We have good depth at forward and defense.

With respect to Hicketts I certainly wasn`t impressed last year (or with Heatherington either for that matter...they scared me s**less in the gold medal game vs. Russia). He was a reach. I expect a decent tournament out of him this year.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
What I would like to see personally:

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Dal Colle - Point - Konecny
Beauvillier - Barzal - Watson
Perlini - Chartier - Hawryluk
Merkley

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Chychrun
Chabot - Juulsen
Roy

MacDonald
Blackwood

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
What I would like to see personally:

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Dal Colle - Point - Konecny
Beauvillier - Barzal - Watson
Perlini - Chartier - Hawryluk
Merkley

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Chychrun
Chabot - Juulsen
Roy

MacDonald
Blackwood
This is nice. Dal Colle isn't making it but only one replacement you have. The defense is sick. Chychrun with Fleury.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Marner - Point - Watson
Beaullivier - Barzal - Hawryluk
Crouse - Strome - Konecy
DiGiacinto - Chartier - Aube-Kubel
Shirley

Hicketts - Sanheim
Mckeown - Van Sompel
Chychrun - Fleury
Dermott

Blackwood
Sawchenkow
Hill

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My oh my. Perron and Debrusk over Watson. This lineup can't be taken seriously, but the other lineup posted doesn't look that bad.

You're the only person in this entire thread who has put Shirley on a roster and you think you can tell other people their rosters can't be taken seriously? :laugh:

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
You're the only person in this entire thread who has put Shirley on a roster and you think you can tell other people their rosters can't be taken seriously? :laugh:
Shirley got a goal and three assists in the first game and another assist in the next game. Let me guess, he isn't a team player just like you said about Ho-Sang last year. A goal and three assists in one single game on a team of players he's never played or gel'd with. Shirley is making this team kid.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Shirley got a goal and three assists in the first game and another assist in the next game. Let me guess, he isn't a team player just like you said about Ho-Sang last year. A goal and three assists in one single game on a team of players he's never played or gel'd with. Shirley is making this team kid.

You wouldn't by chance happen to be related to this "Shirley" character, would you?

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
I think Team Canada is going to have another really solid group, that being said I wanted to try an construct a team that might be a bit more off the board so to speak.

maybe something like:

Point-Barzal-Gardiner/Mangiapane
Perron-Strome-Marner
Crouse-J.Evans-Konecny
B.Seney-Beauvillier-Dal Colle
Ho-Sang/Hawryluk/Perlini as 13th

Sanheim-McKeown
Hickey-Fleury
Hicketts-Dunn
Chychrun

Blackwood
Billia
E.Weninger/Toth

I added in Evans (NCAA drafted by Montreal) and Seney (NCAA drafted by NJ) because they are at least ppg at this point according to eliteprospect, and Weninger has put up pretty good numbers in the NCAA so far as well (1.69 // .954). It would be interesting to see how Evans and Seney do in camp if they get invited, but i don't see them in top6 roles if either of them are at camp or on the team, and I don't think Team Canada will have 4 NCAA players, probably Hickey is the only NCAA player Team Canada actually invites.

I would like to see one of Reid Gardiner/Mangiapane on the team because they are good '96 players that could contribute offensively. I think probably Point-Barzal and Strome-Marner will be paired together, and it is a matter of who is going to be the 3rd guy on their lines.

Course/Konecny are probably also locks (though for where who knows) and I have a feeling Beauvillier will also be there. I chose Dal Colle over Perlini because both are struggling offensively, but Dal Colle has some good experience winning the Memorial Cup. Though Perlini could be a decent 13th forward. I also added Ho-Sang (though he's not TC's favourite and probably won't be select because of 'attitude') and Haweryluk as 13th. Though I'm not sure who to pick between Perlini and Hawryluk for that spot.

Defense wise I do think Hicketts, Sanheim, Fleury, and Hickey will all be there, and Chychrun, McKeown, and Dunn will most likely be there as well even if some '97s have a chance of sneaking on, like Chabot or J.Roy.

Goalie-wise I think Blackwood is unanimously going to be the starter, he's having a great year in Barrie. After him I chose Billia over McDonald because Billia is putting up better numbers on a worse team, and Toth because he is doing well in Red Deer, and I am not sure putting Carter Hart as a '98 for a backup is really all that wise. It would be neat to see Weninger, at least how he does in camp, but Team Canada has this sort of "invite 2 goalies to camp" deal so he's probably not going to get a look.

I think Team Canada has a good chance at repeating Gold this year because their offense is really strong, and Blackwood will at least be Fucale good, if not better (hopefully). But like I said I wanted to go off the wall in selecting the team.
hope team canada can win at world junior and world cup

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I didn't say anything about Ho-Sang last year or any year. You have no right to be telling anyone about how silly their team is when you are the only person in the entire thread has a person on the roster, and on their first line in 1 post. Their roster or anyone's roster is more realistic than that.

and then in another post you telling someone that you're allowed to post as many rosters as possible and anyone can do that and put anyone on it and blah blah blah and then you had the gall to tell someone else how unrealistic their roster was and shouldn't be taken seriously :laugh:

and your argument is Shirley had 5 points in 2 games in the Russia series? lol you literally can't make this stuff up. Guy was not even 0.6 ppg last year as an 18 year old winger, not drafted, and is barely ppg this year but should get ont he team and 1st line no less because he got 5 points in 2 games.

If you asked hockey Canada is Shirley was gonna be on the team they'd probably ask you who that was. Ho-Sang had 10000 times more chance to make the team last year and this year than this Shirley character.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Marner - Point - Watson
Beaullivier - Barzal - Hawryluk
Crouse - Strome - Konecy
DiGiacinto - Chartier - Aube-Kubel
Shirley

Hicketts - Sanheim
Mckeown - Van Sompel
Chychrun - Fleury
Dermott

Blackwood
Sawchenkow
Hill

Won't be on the team.

And why do you have Marner at left wing?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

You're right. It sure was controversial for Canada to do away with training camps and just pick the highest scorers from the super series.

I'm curious about what Lowry's teams usually play like. Sounds like he likes a quick offensive game, which is a positive,

Dec 3, 2012
Won't be on the team.

And why do you have Marner at left wing?

Did you watch SSS games in the Q?
I think Aube Kubel has a pretty good chance at making the team.
Complete player with great skills. Could fit perfectly on our 3-4th line.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
You're right. It sure was controversial for Canada to do away with training camps and just pick the highest scorers from the super series.

I'm curious about what Lowry's teams usually play like. Sounds like he likes a quick offensive game, which is a positive,
Yup. Lowry coaches a north-south, quick, high compete style. Sort of like the Blackhawks, they get the puck in deep, are able to skate with anybody and compete hard with no backdown.

The colour commentator for WHL on Shaw was mentioning that the Royals have a 9-3 away record. They are going to Finland, hostile area, other than 3 players they'll be new to the WJC. Having a coach who knows how to win on the road, a coach who doesn't panic or yell at his players when they're down is probably the best choice for this type of team.

Did you watch SSS games in the Q?
I think Aube Kubel has a pretty good chance at making the team.
Complete player with great skills. Could fit perfectly on our 3-4th line.
I agree, Aube-Kubel has impressed me. Maybe he doesn't have the puck skills to be a 1-2 line guy but he's quick, fast, and competes hard. His type of play will create chances in this tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad