WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Does anyone know if the jerseys we wore this year will be our jerseys going forward?

they change it every year. Cause they know Canadians will buy it. I just wish they keep it as one Jersey like what Sweden, USA, Russia does etc etc.

It's a cash grab by Hockey Canada. Hate it to death.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Ho-Sang wont be there, I'm sure of that. Too immature and plays a style that doesn't fit into Hockey Canada's plans. We have tons of other skilled players that can bring more to the table than him.

People said the same thing about Domi.

ZeroPT*

Fabbri-Bennett-Chartier
Dal Colle-Strome-Marner
Crouse-McCan-Virtanen
Lemieux-Point-Perlini
Konecny/Sprong/Barzal/Merkley

Hicketts-Sanheim
Fleury-Roy
Chabot-McKeown
Chychurn

McDonald
Booth/Blackwood

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
if Ho-Sang wants to play internationally, he should forget all about Hockey Canada, concentrate on becoming the pro that he thinks he can become, in Brooklyn, NY., apply for U.S. citizenship and play for the Red White and Blue....because Hockey Canada has made it perfectly clear they don't see him as a NT player. In fact, if I were his agent, I'd be telling him to do exactly that.

I'm sure if he were a dual citizen HC would have seen to it already to have Mr. Ho-Sang in a Canadian sweater.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
After a great tournament resulting in a Canadian Gold, nothing better than winning the year after and doing it all again. Next year it'll be in Helenski, Finland. Canada will be in the same pool as Sweden, USA, Denmark and Switzerland.

This won't have many returnees (only up to 5 returnees excluding McDavid). Good year for Canada to have a good 2015 draft year because we'll be needing some good players out of that one IMO. Last time we were in Europe playing in the World Juniors, it wasn't good (2014). Hopefully lessons are learned from playing in Europe and I hope they check out Guy Boucher for a coaching job, his team is #1 in the Swiss League and he's coaching it. Maybe Ralph Krueger has a similar role he had for the Sochi team as an advisor for the bigger ice. Don Hay coached the 2013 U18s to Gold but he had a pretty stacked team including McDavid. Jody Hull just won the Ivan Hlinka is a pretty dominating manner, he's a good one because I think alot of the players from the Ivan Hlinka team will be on the World Junior team like Strome, Marner, Merkley, Crouse, Konecny, Barzal, J.Roy, Booth or Sawchenko possibly.

Well here's my early long shot prediction at the roster, going to need some quality 19 year olds to come through.

Boucher is potentially a valuable tool for Hockey Canada (good coach with quality European experience) but I doubt that a professional team is going to release their coach for the WJC. Please no Don Hay after his debacle in 2012. I don't follow the juniors enough to know who the good coaching prospects are, but there must be plenty.

I would like to see Bennett returned to junior so that he can more easily avoid injury next year as well as get major minutes in a prime development year, but who knows. I think that would be very big for Canada. I really like the look of the forwards at the moment, and hope that they are willing to invest heavily in the forwards from the 2015 draft. The defence doesn't look nearly as promising. Hopefully someone can emerge over the next 11 months.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Brayden Point
Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Mitchell Marner
Lawson Crouse - Mathew Barzal - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Travis Konecny - Jayce Hawryluk
Daniel Sprong

Travis Sanheim - Jeremy Roy
Haydn Fleury - Joe Hicketts
Jakob Chychrun - Roland McKeown
Sean Day

MacKenzie Blackwood
Mason McDonald

Most likely this will be the team come December 31st.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
My concern for next years team is the lack of quality 19 year olds. Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen might be the only 19 year olds in the top 6 next season and 2 of them (Bennett and Dal Colle) could be in the NHL, I think Virtanen has a chance in the bottom 6 for the Canucks but probably needs more time to mature in junior. Obviously guys like Barzal, Konecny, Marner, Crouse, Strome, Merkley have alot of talent but they'll be 18, I can't see a team with a core of 18 year olds winning especially for us with our lack of great goaltending.

I wonder if we'll see guys like Konecny, Strome, Merkley get cut because the lack of 19 year olds and see some guys like McCann, Lemieux, Quenneville, Bleackley get the call in the top 9 instead.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
My concern for next years team is the lack of quality 19 year olds. Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen might be the only 19 year olds in the top 6 next season and 2 of them (Bennett and Dal Colle) could be in the NHL, I think Virtanen has a chance in the bottom 6 for the Canucks but probably needs more time to mature in junior. Obviously guys like Barzal, Konecny, Marner, Crouse, Strome, Merkley have alot of talent but they'll be 18, I can't see a team with a core of 18 year olds winning especially for us with our lack of great goaltending.

I wonder if we'll see guys like Konecny, Strome, Merkley get cut because the lack of 19 year olds and see some guys like McCann, Lemieux, Quenneville, Bleackley get the call in the top 9 instead.

you're forgetting Fabbri and Point. So far I have 5 out of 6 19 year olds and 3 returnees in the Top 6. Although, with next year's cap crunch a lot of NHL teams will be looking to rob the cradle and work in some cheap ELCs. (ruining a few careers in the process).. but that's something to worry about by the end of October in the new season.

So far I'm expecting TC to be missing only 2 players next year, McDavid and Ekblad. After missing almost an entire year of hockey, the smartest thing Calgary can do for Bennett is send him back to junior. Unfortunately NHL GMs are not always smart.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
you're forgetting Fabbri and Point. So far I have 5 out of 6 19 year olds and 3 returnees in the Top 6. Although, with next year's cap crunch a lot of NHL teams will be looking to rob the cradle and work in some cheap ELCs. (ruining a few careers in the process).. but that's something to worry about by the end of October in the new season.

So far I'm expecting TC to be missing only 2 players next year, McDavid and Ekblad. After missing almost an entire year of hockey, the smartest thing Calgary can do for Bennett is send him back to junior. Unfortunately NHL GMs are not always smart.
You see Point in the top 6? I guess he has that potential to find himself a spot on the top 6 next year but I think they'll go with a guy like Marner instead if they wanted a skilled forward. I would think Calgary will look at Poirier before Bennett which helps the chances of the World Junior Team.

I have my doubts about next year's team, defence has some holes to be filled, the group might be young. I wonder if they try to for a younger group to get experience and then in Toronto/Montreal in 2017, they'll have some possible returnees that have already experienced the World Juniors.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You see Point in the top 6? I guess he has that potential to find himself a spot on the top 6 next year but I think they'll go with a guy like Marner instead if they wanted a skilled forward. I would think Calgary will look at Poirier before Bennett which helps the chances of the World Junior Team.

I have my doubts about next year's team, defence has some holes to be filled, the group might be young. I wonder if they try to for a younger group to get experience and then in Toronto/Montreal in 2017, they'll have some possible returnees that have already experienced the World Juniors.

Let's try and get off the Brian Burke Top 6 Bottom 6 mentality please. That's part of the reason for the 5 year drought. I prefer a Top 10 or 11 + 2 elite players who can adapt well to a specific role. We've been over this a 1000 times in various threads.

Marner I have on the 3rd line...And he could take Point's spot on the 2nd line, but he'll have to win that position. on a bigger ice sheet, those 2 players can play key roles. I don't care which one plays a slightly more significant role so long as the job gets done.

re: D. I have on the right side all underagers except for Neill. McKeown has been underwhelming this year. but granted I've only seen a few games. He needs to pick it up, but as of right now, I have him off the roster.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Let's try and get off the Brian Burke Top 6 Bottom 6 mentality please. That's part of the reason for the 5 year drought. I prefer a Top 10 or 11 + 2 elite players who can adapt well to a specific role. We've been over this a 1000 times in various threads.

Marner I have on the 3rd line...And he could take Point's spot on the 2nd line, but he'll have to win that position. on a bigger ice sheet, those 2 players can play key roles. I don't care which one plays a slightly more significant role so long as the job gets done.

re: D. I have on the right side all underagers except for Neill. McKeown has been underwhelming this year. but granted I've only seen a few games. He needs to pick it up, but as of right now, I have him off the roster.
I mean't that I just have Point outside of the top 2 lines because I think our team is in a better position if he's playing 3rd or 4th line.

I'm sure you have Carrier a late '96, another QMJHL RD I think might get a spot is Loik Leveille. J.Roy is probably a lock though somewhere on the RD spot. Looks weak now but might have another Hicketts emerge so we'll see how it is.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I mean't that I just have Point outside of the top 2 lines because I think our team is in a better position if he's playing 3rd or 4th line.

I'm sure you have Carrier a late '96, another QMJHL RD I think might get a spot is Loik Leveille. J.Roy is probably a lock though somewhere on the RD spot. Looks weak now but might have another Hicketts emerge so we'll see how it is.

H FLEURY A CARRIER
T SANHEIM J ROY
J HICKETTS C NEILL
_________ N MELOCHE

Those are my 7 and on big ice I'd keep all players on their strong side unless they've proven they can play their off side well.

I'd rate that D-corp as better than average to good. Obviously if you add Ekblad to the mix it is an A+ d-corp..

3 returnees for Montreal/Toronto 2017 (edit: 2 returnees)

I had Carrier's age wrong. I thought he was a 97. but even better, he's a late B-day.

and I don't have Leveille in contention for a roster spot. but certainly he should be given a shot at winning a spot.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes, there is no need for Canada to pick a bottom six at any level. This isn't the NHL, and talent isn't spread thin enough to require a traditional bottom six. From what I've seen, the 2015 draft forwards are more than capable of filling in for Canada in the big scoring roles. Marner, Strome, Konecny, Merkley and company all look like good bets (depending on who makes the NHL). Hopefully Bennett kept in junior and Dal Colle gets a WJC shot.

The defence doesn't look so good, but there's a lot of time for things to pick up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes, there is no need for Canada to pick a bottom six at any level. This isn't the NHL, and talent isn't spread thin enough to require a traditional bottom six. From what I've seen, the 2015 draft forwards are more than capable of filling in for Canada in the big scoring roles. Marner, Strome, Konecny, Merkley and company all look like good bets (depending on who makes the NHL). Hopefully Bennett kept in junior and Dal Colle gets a WJC shot.

The defence doesn't look so good, but there's a lot of time for things to pick up.

not the best group we've ever had, but not the worst either...better than average and capable of getting the job done and getting the puck to the forwards... no Nurse, Theodore or Morrissey in that group.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
You dont need a bottom 6 if guys play their proper roles.

For example, it would be completely ok to keep Lawson Crouse in a 4th line role. The coach should not feel any pressure to move a returning player up the lineup.

We did that with Ryan Ellis and at times it did burn us, especially in 2010 when he was forced into a top 4 role

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You dont need a bottom 6 if guys play their proper roles.

For example, it would be completely ok to keep Lawson Crouse in a 4th line role. The coach should not feel any pressure to move a returning player up the lineup.

We did that with Ryan Ellis and at times it did burn us, especially in 2010 when he was forced into a top 4 role

something like this roster...

I'm undecided on Perlini, but I really think that 3rd line could be a monster line on big ice. And got to drop a d-man, one of the 97s.

This roster should contend for gold imo

M DAL COLLE R FABBRI B POINT
S BENNETT D STROME M MARNER
B PERLINI R CHARTIER J VERTANEN
L CROUSE J HARKINS J HAWRYLUK

N MERKLEY

T SANHEIM A CARRIER
J HICKETTS N MELOCHE
R PILON D MAYO
M VANDE SOMPEL J ROY

M MCDONALD
J BILLIA

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

I'm undecided on Perlini, but I really think that 3rd line could be a monster line on big ice. And got to drop a d-man, one of the 97s.

N MERKLEY

T SANHEIM A CARRIER
J HICKETTS N MELOCHE
R PILON D MAYO
M VANDE SOMPEL J ROY

M MCDONALD
J BILLIA

to have all Dall Colle, Bennett, Fabbri, and Virtanen would be huge for us

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
to have all Dall Colle, Bennett, Fabbri, and Virtanen would be huge for us

I don't see any of those players as guaranteed locks to make their NHL teams next season. And all 4 would benefit greatly from another year in junior. And even if one or 2 stick with their NHL teams, I can't imagine any of them playing key roles, making their release to the junior team likely come December. But you never know the lunacy of NHL GMs. I'm counting on at least 3.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

N MERKLEY

T SANHEIM A CARRIER
J HICKETTS N MELOCHE
R PILON D MAYO
M VANDE SOMPEL J ROY

M MCDONALD
J BILLIA

Yeah, if we can get Dal Colle, Fabbri, Bennett, and Virtanen, the forward group looks pretty good. Although I'd certainly find a way to get Konecny in there, and would also be hesitant to play Strome at center on the international ice given his skating deficiencies. I'd move Bennett over to C, and have Strome on the wing. Konecny can play all three forward positions, move up and down the lineup and play on both special teams, is a fantastic skater, and a gritty competitor for an undersized guy. I'm not familiar with Harkins.

The defense doesn't stand out as being overly strong next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad