WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Ive only watched 2 Canucks games so maybe I lack viewing time, but I dont get why Virtanen is in the NHL. Yeah hes a big body who can skate, but still a little raw, and hasnt dominated the CHL.

Remember Brett Connolly being in a somewhat similar position... I would say Connolly was even more NHL ready

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ive only watched 2 Canucks games so maybe I lack viewing time, but I dont get why Virtanen is in the NHL. Yeah hes a big body who can skate, but still a little raw, and hasnt dominated the CHL.

Remember Brett Connolly being in a somewhat similar position... I would say Connolly was even more NHL ready

I agree. Just because he's physically ready to play a bottom 6 banging role doesn't mean he should. Should be playing in the CHL and trying to dominate rather than trying to stay afloat in the NHL. I think their decision was influenced by Horvat being in a similar situation last year (physically ready, getting few minutes though) and turning it on eventually.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I agree. Just because he's physically ready to play a bottom 6 banging role doesn't mean he should. Should be playing in the CHL and trying to dominate rather than trying to stay afloat in the NHL. I think their decision was influenced by Horvat being in a similar situation last year (physically ready, getting few minutes though) and turning it on eventually.

It's a dangerous development game Vancouver is playing for sure. I think both McCann and Virtanen would be better served back in junior. but you know, cheap ELC.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

They said they felt they could develop him better in the NHL than in the WHL because they can control all the off-ice elements. He looks comfortable and is helping the team win, getting plenty of chances, no reason why he shouldn't be there. I honestly don't think dominating the CHL means you're NHL ready, or vice versa.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
My picks after 3 games of the Subway Series. (Including only WHL,NCAA,NHL,OHL (those who played yesterday) and OHL injured players). There's players who are IMO, sure things for the training camp, and others on the bubble (in order). I'll make another list with only players who will get an invite(IMO), weeks after the SSS.

NHL
On the bubble***
J.Virtanen* RW Vancouver
R.Fabbri* C/LW St Louis
J.McCann* C/LW Vancouver

NCAA
On the bubble
Brandon Hickey D BU

WHL
Sure thing for Training Camp
B.Point C Moose Jaw
M.Barzal C/RW Seattle
J.Hawryluk C/RW Brandon
J.Hicketts D Victoria
H.Fleury D Red Deer
T.Sanheim D Calgary
N.Juulsen D Everett
On the Bubble
J.Quenneville C/LW Brandon
N.Merkley C/RW/LW Kelowna
R.Chartier LW Kelowna
C.Bleackley C/RW Red Deer
D.Sideroff RW Kamloops
N.Patrick C Brandon
B.Guhle D P-Albert
K.Clague D Brandon
A.Hill G Portland

OHL
Sure thing for Training Camp
D.Strome C Erie
L.Crouse LW Kingston
S.Watson RW Kingston
T.Dermott D Erie
R.McKeown D Kingston
M.Blackwood G Barrie
On the Bubble
T.Konecny C/RW Ottawa
M.Stephens C/RW Saginaw
J.Ho-Sang RW Niagara
V.Dunn D Niagara
M.Vande Sompel D Oshawa

Ho-Sang wasn't invited to play in either OHL super series game. I don't see him getting an invite to camp.

Dec 3, 2012
Ho-Sang wasn't invited to play in either OHL super series game. I don't see him getting an invite to camp.
I know, I put him in last place of the ''On the Bubble'' category, which means he hasn't approx. no chances to get an invite. But, you know, he was at the Summer Camp and he has a very good season, so it was tough to let him out of my considerations.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The way Strome is skating this season is huge. He is a great talent but his skating was always holding him back a little bit, I think on this big ice, the way he is skating he can truly be a force for us. I wasn't a fan of having him in a big role for this team as a centre because the biggest problem on big ice is not being able to skate, now he's on my team. Really like Crouse's game, he can skate, he's a huge hockey player, he's smart, and he has a cannon of a shot. I think we might get Virtanen because he doesn't look too good with Vancouver and a break at the WJC could be helpful for him.

Crouse - Point - Marner
Dal Colle - Strome - Hawryluk
Perlini - Beauvillier - Konecny
Chartier - Barzal - Watson
Quenneville

Fleury - Hicketts
Sanheim - Juulsen
Hickey - LeBlanc
McKeown

Blackwood
McDonald
Sawchenko

LeBlanc is an interesting player for me, he's got a lot of tools, I haven't seen a lot of him but in the summer camp he was physical, skated well, and moved the puck up the ice. I thought he was pretty good defensively as well despite a 5'11 height and a little underweight.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Have a feeling the top line is Marner and Strome with either Crouse, or Dal Colle. Have a feeling that line could be very deadly, personally I want the Crouse-Strome-Marner line.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The way Strome is skating this season is huge. He is a great talent but his skating was always holding him back a little bit, I think on this big ice, the way he is skating he can truly be a force for us. I wasn't a fan of having him in a big role for this team as a centre because the biggest problem on big ice is not being able to skate, now he's on my team. Really like Crouse's game, he can skate, he's a huge hockey player, he's smart, and he has a cannon of a shot. I think we might get Virtanen because he doesn't look too good with Vancouver and a break at the WJC could be helpful for him.

Crouse - Point - Marner
Quenneville

Fleury - Hicketts
Sanheim - Juulsen
Hickey - LeBlanc
McKeown

Blackwood
McDonald
Sawchenko

LeBlanc is an interesting player for me, he's got a lot of tools, I haven't seen a lot of him but in the summer camp he was physical, skated well, and moved the puck up the ice. I thought he was pretty good defensively as well despite a 5'11 height and a little underweight.

Needs more Chabot.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Have a feeling the top line is Marner and Strome with either Crouse, or Dal Colle. Have a feeling that line could be very deadly, personally I want the Crouse-Strome-Marner line.

then Brayden Point with anybody on the second line right now should be deadly.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Virtanen has actually looked good in the nhl. Had 1 awful game vs the leafs.

Has not looked out of place for most of them.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Virtanen has actually looked good in the nhl. Had 1 awful game vs the leafs.

Has not looked out of place for most of them.

The question is though, should he even BE in the NHL right now?

I'm sure he can fit into the NHL, because he has the NHL body and elite speed, but is that what is best for his development right now?

Guess we'll see.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Crouse - Point - Marner
Quenneville

Fleury - Hicketts
Sanheim - Juulsen
Hickey - LeBlanc
McKeown

Blackwood
McDonald
Sawchenko

Team Canada seems pretty set on having Strome and Marner playig together.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Team Canada seems pretty set on having Strome and Marner playig together.
Yeah, I think so too..

The question for me is whether both Barzal and Point play at centre, or one moves to RW.

either have Strome-Point-Barzal-Beavuillier (assuming there's no McCann/Fabbri), or Strome-Point/Barzal-Beauvillier-Quenneville/Hawryluk/Bleackley/Watson/Stephens...

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Yeah, I think so too..

The question for me is whether both Barzal and Point play at centre, or one moves to RW.

either have Strome-Point-Barzal-Beavuillier (assuming there's no McCann/Fabbri), or Strome-Point/Barzal-Beauvillier-Quenneville/Hawryluk/Bleackley/Watson/Stephens...

We're not especially deep at RW this year (assuming no Virtanen), so Marner will almost definitely move to RW (probably with Strome at C). Konecny and Hawryluk are natural RWs who are strong bets to make the team (particularly Konecny), then we're looking at converting someone like Stephens or Barzal to the wing. Barzal seems better suited at C though, and this is where Team Canada has typically utilized him. Point can play wing (and did play wing at last year's WJHC) but he'll be counted on as a driving offensive force this year and should probably be left at his natural position.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I think so too..

Why so intent on having Beauvillier at centre? He can play wing. I'd certainly rather Beauvillier on the wing than Barzal.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Needs more Chabot.
I was thinking of Chabot instead of McKeown, they can both skate, I like McKeown's physical maturity more than Chabot, both can skate. I wouldn't count out Dermott though, he's a poised defenceman with good size and decent skating ability. Not flashy but he gets it done without many mistakes. Late birthday too and he has done very well in the summer camp.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Dal Colle-Point-Marner
Crouse-Strome-Konecny
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier
Perron-Quenneville-Hawryluk
Watson

HM: Perlini, Chartier, Bleackley, Patrick. Perlini could easily supplant Watson or Perron.

Sanheim Hicketts
Fleury Juulsen
Chychrun Roy
McKeown

HM: Dunn, Dermott, Carrier ( strong contender if healthy), Chabot, Hickey, LeBlanc, Vande Sompel

Blackwood
McDonald
Sawchenko

HM: Montembeault, Booth

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I was just thinking about it and imagine how filthy, Team Canada could have been if this was a lockout year and everyone was healthy.

Bennett- McDavid- Fabbri
Dal Colle- Strome- Marner
Crouse- McCann- Virtanen
Beauvillier- Barzal- Point
Konecny

Fleury- Ekblad
Chychrun- Juulsen
Sanheim- Hicketts
Roy

Blackwood
McDonald

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I was just thinking about it and imagine how filthy, Team Canada could have been if this was a lockout year and everyone was healthy.

Bennett- McDavid- Fabbri
Dal Colle- Strome- Marner
Crouse- McCann- Virtanen
Beauvillier- Barzal- Point
Konecny

Fleury- Ekblad
Chychrun- Juulsen
Sanheim- Hicketts
Roy

Blackwood
McDonald

Drouin-Mackinnon-Fabbri
Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Horvat-McDavid-Lazar
Petan-Bennett-Virtanen

Should have wished for one last year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Drouin-Mackinnon-Fabbri
Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Horvat-McDavid-Lazar
Petan-Bennett-Virtanen

Should have wished for one last year.

Even with a lockout, none of these players would be eligible this year as they are all 1995 birth years. This year's tournament is for players born 1996 and younger.

sorry, didn't see you comment referencing last year. my apologies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad