Brandon Perlini - Braydon Point - Travis Konecny
Lawson Crouse - Anthony Beauvillier - Mat Barzal
Francis Perron - Nicolas Aube-Kubel - Jayce Hawrlyuk
Julien Gauthier

Travis Sanheim - Joe Hicketts
Haydn Fleury - Noah Juulsen
Thomas Chabot - Roland McKeown
Jakub Chychrun

Why move Barzal to wing and not Beauvillier?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
IMO Chychrun is already better than any of our other defensemen. Not a big fan of Beauvillier or Perlini, but maybe they'll show some improvement in the super series. Agree with the Aube-Kubel inclusion.

What improvement do you want from Beauvillier?

CoDD

Sep 19, 2012
Québec
Point won't be on the third line. Too offensively skilled.

The proposal is centered around a complete 4 lines team where each line play between 20 to 30% of ES time. PP and PK should be build around effectiveness whatever the draft pedigree of each player.

first I am hearing that Perlini is slow, even relatively. Is this true?

My relatively slow comment is based on the expected pace of that line compared to the three other lines. Strome and MDC are forwards that likes to slow down the pace from my viewings and I expect this line to reflect that.

Dec 3, 2012
The proposal is centered around a complete 4 lines team where each line play between 20 to 30% of ES time. PP and PK should be build around effectiveness whatever the draft pedigree of each player.

My relatively slow comment is based on the expected pace of that line compared to the three other lines. Strome and MDC are forwards that likes to slow down the pace from my viewings and I expect this line to reflect that.

It's not that Perlini is slow, he just doesn't seem really quick because he's so big. In fact, his acceleration is top notch and he's very powerful. I remember hearing McKenzie at the time of the draft in 2014, told that Perlini is one of the best skater of the draft.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Good to see McKeown playing some solid hockey. I liked his game from his GTHL days to his rookie season in the OHL, after that not so much for about a year and a half.

Dunn with McKeown could make for a solid pairing. I hope to see what that would look like at the OHL v Russia games.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
IMO Chychrun is already better than any of our other defensemen. Not a big fan of Beauvillier or Perlini, but maybe they'll show some improvement in the super series. Agree with the Aube-Kubel inclusion.
This comment is rather surprising. Beauvillier was impressive in the Isles training camp and he's considered one of the top forward (if not the best) in the Q.
Did you see him play this year? I suspect the answer is no.
And what kind of improvement are you looking from him?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Very weak defense core with Hicketts being the only returning player.

He was hands down the worst D-man last year, and he is Canada's only veteran with experience.

:(:(

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Very weak defense core with Hicketts being the only returning player.

He was hands down the worst D-man last year, and he is Canada's only veteran with experience.

:(:(

nah, the defence is solid imo. One of the best in the last 5 years actually.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
nah, the defence is solid imo. One of the best in the last 5 years actually.

Not better than last year. Not EVEN CLOSE.

but I'd rate them better than a few of the d-corp over the past 5 years...but considering there were a few bad teams over that period, the statement is not much of a stretch.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not better than last year. Not EVEN CLOSE.

but I'd rate them better than a few of the d-corp over the past 5 years...but considering there were a few bad teams over that period, the statement is not much of a stretch.

I'm not sure that this defence will be any better than anything from the past 5 years in terms of player quality... maybe 2011 or 2014. At least the forwards will be better than what we saw in 2014.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
My roster without any nhl addition:

Perlini - D.Strome - Marner
Crouse - Barzal - Point
Perron - Beauvillier - Konecny
Dal Colle - Hawryluk - N.Roy
Quenneville

Sanheim - Fleury
Chabot - McKeown
Hicketts - Juulsen
Chychrun

I know I'm always positive to Team Canada...but I'm really excited for the forward group, even without McCann or Fabbri, it's a very, VERY strong offence to me. Absolutely.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Fabbri and McCann would get that team on another level though.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Fabbri and McCann would get that team on another level though.

I think McCann and Virtanen will be sent down personally (for the tournament) the Canucks will have Prust returning from injury and will likely just call up Gaunce or Kennis to fill the other void. Benning seems like the type of guy who values the world juniors a lot. Despite McCann leading our team in goals he's still slated to be a healthy scratch next game (also playing really well) so it's clear that the coaching staff don't see he and Virtanen (who was benched after the best game of his career) as huge parts of the team and they know how good this tournament is for development.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
even if we don't get neither of McCann/Virtanen/Fabbri, there's a lot of other players I would be excited to watch - to name a few, J.Roy, Hawryluk, Perron, Quenneville....no need to worry, there's a lot of talent.

This is what my roster would be like with possible nhl-ers, bolded are locks imo:

Perlini - Fabbri - Point
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Dal Colle - McCann - Virtanen
Beauvillier - Barzal - Konecny
Hawryluk

I think the second line would work really well - you have a playmaker (Strome), physical force in Crouse, and a highly skilled player in Marner.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My roster without any nhl addition:

Perlini - D.Strome - Marner
Crouse - Barzal - Point
Perron - Beauvillier - Konecny
Dal Colle - Hawryluk - N.Roy
Quenneville

Sanheim - Fleury
Chabot - McKeown
Hicketts - Juulsen
Chychrun

I know I'm always positive to Team Canada...but I'm really excited for the forward group, even without McCann or Fabbri, it's a very, VERY strong offence to me. Absolutely.

I agree about the offence. Also interesting to see Perron included. The guy puts up points at the very least.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Projected roster, assuming no NHLers:

Dal Colle - Point - Merkley
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Beauvillier - Barzal - Konecny
Perlini - Bleackley - Hawryluk
Stephens (C/RW)

Last cuts: Quenneville, DeBrusk, Chartier, Aube-Kubel

Fleury - Hicketts
Sanheim - McKeown
Chychrun - Juulsen
Chabot

Last cuts: Roy, Dermott, Dunn

McDonald
Blackwood

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
I think Team Canada is going to have another really solid group, that being said I wanted to try an construct a team that might be a bit more off the board so to speak.

maybe something like:

Point-Barzal-Gardiner/Mangiapane
Perron-Strome-Marner
Crouse-J.Evans-Konecny
B.Seney-Beauvillier-Dal Colle
Ho-Sang/Hawryluk/Perlini as 13th

Sanheim-McKeown
Hickey-Fleury
Hicketts-Dunn
Chychrun

Blackwood
Billia
E.Weninger/Toth

I added in Evans (NCAA drafted by Montreal) and Seney (NCAA drafted by NJ) because they are at least ppg at this point according to eliteprospect, and Weninger has put up pretty good numbers in the NCAA so far as well (1.69 // .954). It would be interesting to see how Evans and Seney do in camp if they get invited, but i don't see them in top6 roles if either of them are at camp or on the team, and I don't think Team Canada will have 4 NCAA players, probably Hickey is the only NCAA player Team Canada actually invites.

I would like to see one of Reid Gardiner/Mangiapane on the team because they are good '96 players that could contribute offensively. I think probably Point-Barzal and Strome-Marner will be paired together, and it is a matter of who is going to be the 3rd guy on their lines.

Course/Konecny are probably also locks (though for where who knows) and I have a feeling Beauvillier will also be there. I chose Dal Colle over Perlini because both are struggling offensively, but Dal Colle has some good experience winning the Memorial Cup. Though Perlini could be a decent 13th forward. I also added Ho-Sang (though he's not TC's favourite and probably won't be select because of 'attitude') and Haweryluk as 13th. Though I'm not sure who to pick between Perlini and Hawryluk for that spot.

Defense wise I do think Hicketts, Sanheim, Fleury, and Hickey will all be there, and Chychrun, McKeown, and Dunn will most likely be there as well even if some '97s have a chance of sneaking on, like Chabot or J.Roy.

Goalie-wise I think Blackwood is unanimously going to be the starter, he's having a great year in Barrie. After him I chose Billia over McDonald because Billia is putting up better numbers on a worse team, and Toth because he is doing well in Red Deer, and I am not sure putting Carter Hart as a '98 for a backup is really all that wise. It would be neat to see Weninger, at least how he does in camp, but Team Canada has this sort of "invite 2 goalies to camp" deal so he's probably not going to get a look.

I think Team Canada has a good chance at repeating Gold this year because their offense is really strong, and Blackwood will at least be Fucale good, if not better (hopefully). But like I said I wanted to go off the wall in selecting the team.

Dec 3, 2012
My picks after 3 games of the Subway Series. (Including only WHL,NCAA,NHL,OHL (those who played yesterday) and OHL injured players). There's players who are IMO, sure things for the training camp, and others on the bubble (in order). I'll make another list with only players who will get an invite(IMO), weeks after the SSS.

NHL
On the bubble***
J.Virtanen* RW Vancouver
R.Fabbri* C/LW St Louis
J.McCann* C/LW Vancouver

NCAA
On the bubble
Brandon Hickey D BU

WHL
Sure thing for Training Camp
B.Point C Moose Jaw
M.Barzal C/RW Seattle
J.Hawryluk C/RW Brandon
J.Hicketts D Victoria
H.Fleury D Red Deer
T.Sanheim D Calgary
N.Juulsen D Everett
On the Bubble
J.Quenneville C/LW Brandon
N.Merkley C/RW/LW Kelowna
R.Chartier LW Kelowna
C.Bleackley C/RW Red Deer
D.Sideroff RW Kamloops
N.Patrick C Brandon
B.Guhle D P-Albert
K.Clague D Brandon
A.Hill G Portland

OHL
Sure thing for Training Camp
D.Strome C Erie
L.Crouse LW Kingston
S.Watson RW Kingston
T.Dermott D Erie
R.McKeown D Kingston
M.Blackwood G Barrie
On the Bubble
T.Konecny C/RW Ottawa
M.Stephens C/RW Saginaw
J.Ho-Sang RW Niagara
V.Dunn D Niagara
M.Vande Sompel D Oshawa

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It's not that Perlini is slow, he just doesn't seem really quick because he's so big. In fact, his acceleration is top notch and he's very powerful. I remember hearing McKenzie at the time of the draft in 2014, told that Perlini is one of the best skater of the draft.

From what I and other Coyote fan) have seen at prospect/pro camps is that Perlini can fly. He skates so well.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Team Canada is going to have another really solid group, that being said I wanted to try an construct a team that might be a bit more off the board so to speak.

maybe something like:

Point-Barzal-Gardiner/Mangiapane
Perron-Strome-Marner
Crouse-J.Evans-Konecny
B.Seney-Beauvillier-Dal Colle
Ho-Sang/Hawryluk/Perlini as 13th

Sanheim-McKeown
Hickey-Fleury
Hicketts-Dunn
Chychrun

Blackwood
Billia
E.Weninger/Toth
why not, it's interesting to get another point of view :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad