WJC: 2016 — Sweden Roster Talk

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
It's a shame that Switzerland was headhunting, that who is the real culprit here.
The hit looked bad to me, reminded me of Crosby receiving the concussion form a Steckel fly by. He's unlikely to play right away when he gets back to Toronto.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
If Sweden ends up not reaching the finals (and possibly win gold), injuries are going to be a huge factor for it IMO. 1st they lost their Captain Sebastian Aho, then they lost W.Nylander (**** Switzerland, seriously) and now Ollas Mattsson, who has been really solid IMO. I don't have a lot of faith in guys like Pettersson and Lagesson (he's soooo slow).

Last edited:

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
If Sweden ends up not reaching the finals (and possibly win gold), injuries are going to be a huge factor for it IMO. 1st they lost their Captain Sebastian Aho, then they lost W.Nylander (**** Switzerland, seriously) and now Ollas Mattsson, who has been really solid IMO. I don't have a lot of faith in guys like Pettersson and Lagesson (he's soooo slow).
what happened? haven't been following.

VL

Sep 22, 2009
The Pale Blue Dot
There's an article on TSN regarding the decision to shut William down for the remainder of the tournament.

"William isn't 100 per cent fit to play a game so it was an easy decision," said Per Adolf Bergsten, the team's doctor. "He was getting better, but I can't tell you how close he was to playing a game."

Dr. Bergsten said that the Toronto Maple Leafs were "not involved at all with the decision, but they fully agreed with the decision."

"The decision for William not to play the rest of the tournament was the right decision," Maple Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello told TSN in a statement. "He will return to Toronto and be reevaluated by our team physicians. We have have been in constant communication with the Swedish Federation and have been supportive of all their decisions throughout this process."

LINK: Leafs prospect Nylander out at world juniors

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
all teams must and can handle injuries. Sweden needs to be mor than a nylander team if they want the cup

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Sweden have had injuries to important players several times

Landeskog (2011?), H.Lindholm (2012?), W.Nylander...

Then semi-important guys like Görtz, Ollas-Mattsson etc

I've probably forgot a few

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sweden have had injuries to important players several times

Landeskog (2011?), H.Lindholm (2012?), W.Nylander...

Then semi-important guys like Görtz, Ollas-Mattsson etc

I've probably forgot a few

Klefbom, Brodin, Zibanejad...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
its becuse we are playing in too slow tempo with the puck, we got hit alot so therefore we got alot of injures. move the feet more, look at usa, they never get hit.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Thank God.

Finally nice to see Leafs management make proper development decisions.

Get him back to Toronto, make sure he's fine, and get him back in the Marlies lineup.

I agree, Team Sweden is a blip in the big picture. Toronto needs to take care of their asset. I think perhaps TS Doctors going on about him being symptom free was a lie because they were hoping to rush him back to play (Which would be incredibly stupid and dangerous) perhaps Toronto found out it was worse then they let on and pulled the rug, if so, good on them.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I think perhaps TS Doctors going on about him being symptom free was a lie because they were hoping to rush him back to play (Which would be incredibly stupid and dangerous) perhaps Toronto found out it was worse then they let on and pulled the rug, if so, good on them.

Ofc they wouldn't. They want the best for and from him in the future too, just like Toronto!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I agree, Team Sweden is a blip in the big picture. Toronto needs to take care of their asset. I think perhaps TS Doctors going on about him being symptom free was a lie because they were hoping to rush him back to play (Which would be incredibly stupid and dangerous) perhaps Toronto found out it was worse then they let on and pulled the rug, if so, good on them.

Sounds you try to plaster some logic on Swedish sports which simply is not there.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I think it was good that william was taken off now at least we have a closure for his case. Hope the kid gets well soon and is in NHL scoring like his old man. :yo::handclap:

Sweden tomorrow against Finland can't wait. :yo:

Not really closure since we still bascially know nothing about the injury and how long he will be out etc. But closure for this tournament yes.

Will be a interest fight against a hyped finland with the best line i this wjc.

William Nylander*

Swedes fans are willing to risk Nylander being their #1C for the next two or three Olympics if it means having better chances to win one WJC? :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
15 different players have scored so far. Holmström & Grundström are the only forwards without a goal.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
all teams must and can handle injuries. Sweden needs to be mor than a nylander team if they want the cup

And anyone who has watched Sweden in this tournament so far knows that that's hasn't been the case either. We haven't even really seen what he would've meant to this team since he got injured pretty much instantly. But in a short tournament like this is, several injuries can be a huge blow for a team. You obviously have to make the best of it, but in the end it still gives you a big disadvantage. Especially when we are speaking of juniorhockey, where hockey is played in a special kind of way.

No player on the US would be able to replace a guy like Matthews for an example, a player that can just completely dominate the play. And Finland would be in a really bad spot if they lost 2 of their topline guys. Those players are irreplaceable, no one can deny this. And in the end, it's not only Nylander either. The fact remains that Sweden have several injuries, while the other teams remaining have none as far as i know. I think the tournament is pretty open right now, injuries such as these could definitely be the difference between a win and a loss.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So, apparently Nylander left the team and went home. I'm sorry to hear that. Love to watch these young guns play and injuries are always sad thing.

And this is a big thing for Swedes. Nylander is a big piece of your team. But you guys still have what it takes to win this all.

I hope you continue to take penalties so we have a chance against you tomorrow. ;)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It's more logical than Toronto pulling him out in order to play for the Marlies.

No logic whatsoever in your statement. If you look it up Sweden got a good record of professional medicine staff (in hockey but also in general) which by no means would push players into playing injured with severe consequences against their medical ethic (i.e. it has not happened ever). Exactly what type of country do you think Sweden is? I would say that it is pretty similar to Canada, with the exception of not being overly fanatical about hockey, a factor which might have been important. but Sweden is not a mirror to Canada in that respect.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
William Nylander is one of very very few prospects who actually have a legit chance of becoming a superstar yes I mean it SUPERSTAR. I wouldn't want to jeopardize anything regardless of which side I was representing in this case.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
William Nylander is one of very very few prospects who actually have a legit chance of becoming a superstar yes I mean it SUPERSTAR. I wouldn't want to jeopardize anything regardless of which side I was representing in this case.

Yes he is the most intresting forward prospect from since at least Bäckström. So yeah his future career is far more importent then a wjc gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad