WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
By they way do we have any potential later rounds 2016 draft prospects in NHL for this team.
Kalapudas, Repo,Siikonen, Björkqvist are all undrafted in NHL.

So does those guys has any chances to get picked in NHL this summer.
Vehviläinen can forgot his draft pick. He isn't been impressive in this tourney.
And those weaknesses what he has will take a couple season to get fixed ( i just guess that).

I'm positively impressed how well Finland has played.
I didn't believe that this team could TOP4 in this tournament with mediocre defense and mediocre goalies.

Jalonen has made great job with these guys.
Too bad he's going to coach Jokerit KHL team next season.

I would liked to see Jalonen behind the bench next years U20's in Canada.
Hopefully Rautakorpi continues that job what Jalonen has started and he''ll respect Jalonen's legacy.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I still don't understand why Keskitalo is playing PK.
It's one of those Jalonen things. He wants all players in his team either playing PP or PK. Most reliable ones play both.

By they way do we have any potential later rounds 2016 draft prospects in NHL for this team.
Kalapudas, Repo,Siikonen, Björkqvist are all undrafted in NHL.

So does those guys has any chances to get picked in NHL this summer.
Vehviläinen can forgot his draft pick. He isn't been impressive and those weaknesses what he has will take a couple season to get fixed ( i just guess that).
Again you're jumping the gun. This tournament won't make or break a player. If Vehviläinen goes back to form when he returns to JYP, he will hear his name called next summer. His position may drop a bit, though. Without this flub, he could've been a 2nd/3rd rounder, now he most likely has to wait 'til later rounds. But he's still a promising goalie in all, and everybody who follows hockey closely enough know that goalies usually take more time to mature than the rest. Just ask Niklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne, Antti Niemi or Antti Raanta. For starters.

Of the rest, Repo may be a late rounder. But again, that's more due to his play in Pelicans than this tournament.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
and his english is really unconvincing? how's the english education in Finland ?
Not accessible enough to a guy who quits school at 15 and focuses solely on hockey, it seems. He'll learn it though, once absolute necessity kicks in. Evgeni Malkin started talking something that resembles full sentences maybe, what, two years into his NHL career? :laugh:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
and his english is really unconvincing? how's the english education in Finland ?

Good enough. The Finns in general just don't speak as good English as the Swedes due to the linguistic differences in their native language. Once Pulju gets more comfortable with speaking it, his English will be fine.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
This tournament won't make or break a player. If Vehviläinen goes back to form when he returns to JYP, he will hear his name called next summer. His position may drop a bit, though. Without this flub, he could've been a 2nd/3rd rounder, now he most likely has to wait 'til later rounds. But he's still a promising goalie in all, and everybody who follows hockey closely enough know that goalies usually take more time to mature than the rest. Just ask Niklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne, Antti Niemi or Antti Raanta. For starters.

I will disagree here, what's the risk for an NHL team here? Alternative cost? Another team picks him? Similarly good goalies emerge all the time. Don't draft him and he becomes good? Same story with many goalies - sign him if you hav space/need.
It will be better to wait Vehviläinen out, pick another player and see if Vehviläinen is worth a contract 2-3 years from now or not. I'm convinced Vehviläinen can forget about the draft.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I will disagree here, what's the risk for an NHL team here? Alternative cost? Another team picks him? Similarly good goalies emerge all the time. Don't draft him and he becomes good? Same story with many goalies - sign him if you hav space/need.
It will be better to wait Vehviläinen out, pick another player and see if Vehviläinen is worth a contract 2-3 years from now or not. I'm convinced Vehviläinen can forget about the draft.

A bad performance by a player in a short tournament is not gonna outweigh the value of good play over the course of full season, I think that was his point.

Barkov didn't live up to the expectations in this tournament in 2013 but it didn't affect his draft position at all.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
A bad performance by a player in a short tournament is not gonna outweigh the value of good play over the course of full season, I think that was his point.

Barkov didn't live up to the expectations in this tournament in 2013 but it didn't affect his draft position at all.

Exactly. If VV plays lights out for JYP, someone will most likely draft him this time, even if it's in the latter rounds. Far less talented goalies have been drafted out of Finland before.

Keskitalo has been sick during the tournament, like they informed. 6-7 guys have had some sickness during this tournament. Worst time was at games against Slovakia and Czechs. He could do better if he is full healthy again. I don't believe he was 100% against Canada.

I know he was sick. But he wasn't any better before he got sick. Maybe he has it in him to do better, but this hasn't been his tournament in the least.

Wander

May 12, 2014

English education is perfectly good in Finland. Probably very comparable to that of Sweden. Of course, it is slightly more difficult for people to learn the language when Finnish is not in any way related to the Germanic languages like Swedish and English, so pronunciation and vocabulary in particular cause some problems to some people.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Average Finnish 17-year-old speaks perfectly good English. In many ways Jesse isn't an average 17-year-old Finn. I bet he has spent more hours playing hockey and bandy outdoors in Tornio than playing video games or watching American or British tv-shows.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Average Finnish 17-year-old speaks perfectly good English. In many ways Jesse isn't an average 17-year-old Finn. I bet he has spent more hours playing hockey and bandy outdoors in Tornio than playing video games or watching American or British tv-shows.

I bet lot of people in Tornio speaks Swedish though since its so close to Sweden, and due to the Swedish as second language in Finland ? Can it be ?

People whose working for the Finns government, do they compulsory to know Swedish like Canada (to know French) ?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What he grew up 4 years in Sweden but doesnt speak any swedish?
Not so unusual, given that his parents are both native Finnish speakers. What little public exposure he had to Swedish was likely promptly forgotten within when they moved to an environment that was exclusively Finnish-speaking.

That being said, it's kind of surprising how few people who speak Swedish as native language live in Tornio (only about 100 of its 22,000 strong population), despite it being right next to the border.

Exactly. If you have an 18-year-old goalie who posts the kind of numbers in a men's pro league as Vehviläinen has, there are far worse things you can waste a pick on especially when you get to rounds 4-7.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
People whose working for the Finns government, do they compulsory to know Swedish like Canada (to know French) ?
Let's start by stating that it's only those parts of Canada where French is a significant language.

As far as Finland goes, technically anybody holding a public office should know Swedish. In reality... there are no exams or active checks. The requirements are filled as part of one's education. You clear the mandatory course in school, even if it's by barely passing the test, you're deemed proficient on paper and that's it - you're free to forget the language afterwards if there's no active use for it. Of course, if you land a job where you're actually going to need Swedish regularly, you should know it. But in places that are exclusively Finnish-speaking, you technically have nothing but clerks who know the language on paper but don't know it in reality.

It's kind of a hot potato in the public debate here, since many feel this letter of law has died in reality a long ago. But let's not go there.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
That being said, it's kind of surprising how few people who speak Swedish as native language live in Tornio (only about 100 of its 22,000 strong population), despite it being right next to the border.

In my experience more people in Haaparanta speak Finnish than people in Tornio speaks Swedish.

There's still a relatively big Finnish speaking population in Northern Sweden as far as I know.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Apart from Puljujärvi and Laine being ridiculous. How does the rest of the finnish team looks? any injuries?

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
As far as Finland goes, technically anybody holding a public office should know Swedish. In reality... there are no exams or active checks. The requirements are filled as part of one's education. You clear the mandatory course in school, even if it's by barely passing the test, you're deemed proficient on paper and that's it - you're free to forget the language afterwards if there's no active use for it. Of course, if you land a job where you're actually going to need Swedish regularly, you should know it. But in places that are exclusively Finnish-speaking, you technically have nothing but clerks who know the language on paper but don't know it in reality.

In practice they do test your Swedish at the interview stage, so you better come at least somewhat prepared if you wanna land the job. But otherwise like you said, you might as well forget everything you know once you're at office.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Apart from Puljujärvi and Laine being ridiculous. How does the rest of the finnish team looks? any injuries?

7th defenceman Eetu Sopanen is injured for the rest of the tournament, other than that we should be fine.

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
yeah you can tell he understands the questions but just isn't confident enough to speak it back, just lack of practice

Like most of Finns.

Finnish posters in HFBoards generally seem to have pretty good English, but probably half of us wouldn't talk it as smoothly since we're not used to it.

We know the language and grammar - but situations where you actually have to speak it outloud are so rare makes our talking often sound rusty and bit slow.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
In practice they do test your Swedish at the interview stage, so you better come at least somewhat prepared if you wanna land the job. But otherwise like you said, you might as well forget everything you know once you're at office.
They may test you... in a job where you'll actually need the language. Which is what I implied too.

They don't really test it in jobs where it's absolutely unnecessary to know it in reality. As in, most of them. With incredibly rotten luck the person making the call may be anal about it (or have a political agenda), but in most cases people are smart enough to not let a whimsical on-paper requirement to stop them from hiring an otherwise competent applicant.

Rici

Jan 9, 2013
Helsinki

Finnish is a Finno-Ugrian language. All other "hockey languages" are Indo-European. So at least in theory it should be much easier for Russian or Swedish speaking people to learn English as all of those languages are related to each other.

Language education is on a good level in Finland compared to any other country. So it is in Sweden. For some individuals it takes more time to learn than for the others. Puljujärvi will learn his English when he begins to use it. But yes, he needs to work on that if he aims to play in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: