WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
From the start I've said we ned to be the Dallas Stars and score 4-6 goals per game to have a chance and we really have to score 4-6 to have a chance.

Of course I want to win gold but after the 1st 2 games it was pretty clear that the defense is awful, 17y Juolevi has to carry our defense and it's too much to ask, he doesn't have a support group and everytime the puck is in our zone we make some type of mistake, and even today we had like 5-6 turnovers just in the 1st, awful passing in the D-zone, have to improve that a lot, so right now getting this far is huge and winning a medal would be great.

Our pk is also awful and Canada was supposed to have a bad pp, can't take penalties against Sweden, it always seems to end up badly.

But the positives are that our offense is amazing and right now we have gotten this far with 1 line, if we can get the other 3 lines to step up more who knows what happens.

more I think it it's more and more clear Finland just has no a chance;

Goaltending Finland <<<< Sweden (With Kahkonen. This gap alone will make a huge difference)
Defense Finland <<<<< Sweden (From another planet)
Offense Finland >>> Sweden (Stellar vs good)
PK Finland <<<<< Sweden (Nonexists vs great)
PP Finland >> Sweden (Finns PP is lethal yes but so has Swe)
Coaching Finland > Sweden (JJ has minor advantage at least)

There's no freaking way (other than game isn't a hockey at all) Finns have a odds here. Hopefully it wont turn into 10-1 bath. All the areas Finland excels Sweden are almost good as they are, that's the difference here versus previous games.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'm also disappointed with Rantanen, that one penalty was so stupid and most of his offense seems to be a drive to the net on the right lane - which is fine in its straightforwardness but he always seems to be driven behind the net by the D rather than forcing himself in front of the net by for a quality scoring opportunity. I still love the guy but hopefully he will find that extra gear for the next game.

Yeah, both Rantanen and Kapanen (especially Rantanen) have been disappointments. To me it seems like they just don't have their legs. It's not easy to come from AHL, have a limited amount of practices and then perform your best on the bigger ice. Especially during this point in their careers, when they're spending their summer to bulk up and learning to play the NA style of game.

And the fact that the tournament is short and there's a lot of games in a short period of time, the fatigue factor doesn't make it any easier.

Both of these guys have an extra gear (again, especially Rantanen) that's just unavailable for them right now.

BUT it's possible these 5 games and playing in the most important game is enough to flip the switch for semis. If we're going to beat Sweden it's going to be these guys who will score the big goal/goals, i doubt our 1st line scores 3+ goals again.

Wilderness

Jan 6, 2015
Finland
more I think it it's more and more clear Finland just has no a chance;

Goaltending Finland <<<< Sweden (With Kahkonen. This gap alone will make a huge difference)
Defense Finland <<<<< Sweden (From another planet)
Offense Finland >>> Sweden (Stellar vs good)
PK Finland <<<<< Sweden (Nonexists vs great)
PP Finland >> Sweden (Finns PP is lethal yes but so has Swe)
Coaching Finland > Sweden (JJ has minor advantage at least)

There's no freaking way (other than game isn't a hockey at all) Finns have a odds here. Hopefully it wont turn into 10-1 bath. All the areas Finland excels Sweden are almost good as they are, that's the difference here versus previous games.

So good its only one game. Because anything can happen in one game. Like earlier when DEN almost won RUS in QF. In one game there is always a chance to win the game.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
You have to wonder what this team could be like if guys like Rantanen and Kapanen were at their best too. Now it kind of feels like there's a black hole in offensive production with these two guys. There's no way to turn our defensemen into first round talents but a guy like Rantanen has shown that he can carry a national team but we're just getting no production from him this year. So frustrating.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I have to say I wasn't that disappointed to lose to the Finns. Part of me wanted to see the rivalry game and if theres anyone to beat us I'd rather it be them than the other teams that advanced.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Anyone know when you can buy team finland jerseys? Preferrably with player and number? Cant find them anywhere except icejerseys and theyre the iihf ones and thu have 0 sizes and no player/numbers, thansk!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
In seven game series, I wouldn't bet a dime on our roster vs. Sweden. But in one game, especially in juniors, anything can happen.

I look at us being the clear underdogs but with a realistic chance to win. The romantic in me says we will win but the realist in me says we lose 5-2

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I tell you what. #3 is a real tire fire.

Possibly the worst Dman I have ever witnessed. Lol

Good game a glad I will be watching more of Finland.

What ever do you mean? Finland's #3 (Keskitalo) has scored at least 3 goals and assisted on a few.:sarcasm:

Seriously speaking, he should be told to stay at least 20 meters away from the Finnish net at all times. If we still had 7 dmen left, he should be benched permanently.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Hyvää päivää :)

American coming in peace, just was curious if any of y'all could tell me if Puljujärvi, Aho and Laine had any experience playing together when they were younger? The chemistry that line has is jaw dropping and has produced the best hockey I have seen in ages. Also kinda curious because the Hurricanes already have Aho, so it would be amazing if we could get another one of the three on draft day :)

Anyway, cheers and hope we see y'all in the final :)

:cheers:

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Hyvää päivää :)

American coming in peace, just was curious if any of y'all could tell me if Puljujärvi, Aho and Laine had any experience playing together when they were younger? The chemistry that line has is jaw dropping and has produced the best hockey I have seen in ages. Also kinda curious because the Hurricanes already have Aho, so it would be amazing if we could get another one of the three on draft day :)

Anyway, cheers and hope we see y'all in the final :)

:cheers:
This is the first time, when they all play together in same line. Puljujärvi and Laine has played together on recent National teams, like U18-tournament last year.

And Puljujärvi has also played with Aho in Kärpät this season, which is their hockey club in Finland.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014

"I’ve played with both of them previously. Well, with [Jesse] Puljujarvi almost all my life.†– Sebastian Aho (FIN) on his linemates

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Finland was in trouble against Canada because of the strong Canadian forecheck. It works well if the defenders are unable to dish out quick breakout passes. Jukka Jalonen (head coach of FIN) has had problems against North American teams in the past and it seemed to happen again yesterday.

If Sweden keeps up a high pressure forecheck tomorrow, Finland will be in trouble. Finnish defenders are just too hesitant to move the puck out of their zone effectively.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What ever do you mean? Finland's #3 (Keskitalo) has scored at least 3 goals and assisted on a few.:sarcasm:

Seriously speaking, he should be told to stay at least 20 meters away from the Finnish net at all times. If we still had 7 dmen left, he should be benched permanently.

Keskitalo has been sick during the tournament, like they informed. 6-7 guys have had some sickness during this tournament. Worst time was at games against Slovakia and Czechs. He could do better if he is full healthy again. I don't believe he was 100% against Canada.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Everybody stay away from the tabloids. Once again they are just making embarrassing **** up just to make a quick whatever currency.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Everybody stay away from the tabloids. Once again they are just making embarrassing **** up just to make a quick whatever currency.

That's the thing though. They write that ***** because there's a demand and you, Ulf, Per and Oscar have to live with it.

Not that it matters all that much. It's just annoying.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Keskitalo has been sick during the tournament, like they informed. 6-7 guys have had some sickness during this tournament. Worst time was at games against Slovakia and Czechs. He could do better if he is full healthy again. I don't believe he was 100% against Canada.

Maybe but he looks lost out there and I dont think that is illness related.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Keskitalo was bad before the tournament already, maybe he shouldn't have made the team but Jalonen liked him so he did.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015

This is not true. Kähkönen is a solid goaltender, and Söderström is no magic man. It'd be <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< with VV, but with KK it's pretty much =. Team defense on the other hand is a whole different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad