WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Could scouts have actually been right to prefer Ruusu over Vehviläinen then?

No. They maybe were right about Vehvilainen but I think Ruusu is much further away becoming NHL player. Drafting Ruusu is mind-boggling.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Finland is also going to have to keep their discipline.

Canada is more than willing to indulge but Sweden will be different.

The Finns are going to have to watch the post-whistle stuff.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines

Should not be a problem. Canada (Strome) begun to provoke on the very first shift by cross-checking Juolevi to the head. With that being allowed, it was clear that there would be scrums all over the ice after the whistles.

Finland really has no players eager to start doing the post-whistle stuff without provocation. That was probably part of Canadian approach for the game to involve Finland in ways they are not yet used to. Sadly for them, this masterplan probably caused Virtanen and Perlini to overheat and take stupid penalties possibly ruining the game for them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Shouldnt be a problem. Canada (Strome) begun to provoke on the very first shift by cross-checking Juolevi to the head. With that being allowed, it was clear that there would be scrums all over the ice once and a while.

Finland really has no players eager to start doing the post-whistle stuff by themselves. That was probably part of Canadian approach for the game to involve Finland in ways they are not used to. Sadly for them, this masterplan probably caused Virtanen and Perlini to overheat and take stupid penalties possibly ruining the game for them.

I'm pretty sure the masterplan didn't involve Blackwood doing his best Vehviläinen impression. ;)

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Finns aren't dumb. They were baiting the Canadians out because if you look at their past couple of games, Canada has taken a lot of dumb penalties (Looking at you Virtanen). Finns took advantage, a PP that features the likes of Laine, Puljujarvi, Aho, Rantanen, Kapanen, Juolevi, etc. is going to be lethal, especially with the chemistry of the former 3. Sweden has to watch out with giving this team penalties because they do punish.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I tell you what. #3 is a real tire fire.

Possibly the worst Dman I have ever witnessed. Lol

Good game a glad I will be watching more of Finland.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I think this is finlands tournament to lose. Good luck fin brothers !

you're right till quarters, now that they;

A qualified to semis
B beat canada

no one in this country is expecting them to win, it's more a like nothing to lose from this point. everybody knows they have no D or G just scoring

only #3 hahah there is more than him

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013

Haha, he was my childhood friend and he wasn't so good even then..
But look at now who is with the team :laugh:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Congrats on the big W. Looked like a great atmosphere for the kids to play.
Best of luck vs Swedes.
With Canada out ( deservedly ) , the underdog home team story moving forward and being a London knights season ticket holder ( Go Joulevi ) I'm cheering for ya.
Enjoy the ride.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
So this is random but I suppose it's the best place to ask. Does anyone have a name for Finlands goal song at this tourney?

It's this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3afPxZhJIw

It's a remix collaboration of sorts. The rap duo JVG who wrote it go way back with hockey folks in Finland, they've been around. The other half of the collab effort is a teensy pop singer called Antti Tuisku.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's this one, right?

It's a remix collaboration of sorts. The rap duo JVG who wrote it go way back with hockey folks in Finland, they've been around. The other half of the collab effort is a teensy pop singer called Antti Tuisku.

I wonder who decides these goal songs. It's some really embarrassing songs as Finland's goal songs every time so for that I could think of Amanda Harkimo even but I guess she doesn't decide things as big :sarcasm: as these. Even that old Teräsbetoni song was better (still horrible).

Finland's goal song should be good however as it is playing all the time as we are scoring all the time :).

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I wonder who decides these goal songs. It's some really embarrassing songs as Finland's goal songs every time so for that I could think of Amanda Harkimo even but I guess she doesn't decide things as big :sarcasm: as these. Even that old Teräsbetoni song was better (still horrible).

Finland's goal song should be good however as it is playing all the time as we are scoring all the time :).

Hopefully we wont hear it at all come monday.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

Well, it was supposed to be Popeda's "I have 20 cents in my pocket" but then they measured finnish players.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Great win, what a nailbiter! I had to switch the sound off for the final minute, it made it a little more bearable to watch :laugh:

That said, it wasn't really a great game hockey-wise in the sense that balanced, great hockey was played, even if I can swap that for the entertainment value for now.

Still, going forward, I'm afraid the lack of quality D (other than Juolevi - new hockey crush), and poor goaltending, might prove fatal in the next round. Canada read our first passes like an open book - I imagine Sweden will do the same.

I'm also disappointed with Rantanen, that one penalty was so stupid and most of his offense seems to be a drive to the net on the right lane - which is fine in its straightforwardness but he always seems to be driven behind the net by the D rather than forcing himself in front of the net by for a quality scoring opportunity. I still love the guy but hopefully he will find that extra gear for the next game.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I'm also disappointed with Rantanen, that one penalty was so stupid and most of his offense seems to be a drive to the net on the right lane - which is fine in its straightforwardness but he always seems to be driven behind the net by the D rather than forcing himself in front of the net by for a quality scoring opportunity. I still love the guy but hopefully he will find that extra gear for the next game.

We still have that one working line, plus Saarela and Juolevi making everything happen on offense. Kalapudas has been good too, but more as an individual than as part of that line. Getting Rantanen and Kapanen going would really improve our chances in the last two games, but then again there are more pressing concerns to spend precious time on...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From the start I've said we ned to be the Dallas Stars and score 4-6 goals per game to have a chance and we really have to score 4-6 to have a chance.

Of course I want to win gold but after the 1st 2 games it was pretty clear that the defense is awful, 17y Juolevi has to carry our defense and it's too much to ask, he doesn't have a support group and everytime the puck is in our zone we make some type of mistake, and even today we had like 5-6 turnovers just in the 1st, awful passing in the D-zone, have to improve that a lot, so right now getting this far is huge and winning a medal would be great.

Our pk is also awful and Canada was supposed to have a bad pp, can't take penalties against Sweden, it always seems to end up badly.

But the positives are that our offense is amazing and right now we have gotten this far with 1 line, if we can get the other 3 lines to step up more who knows what happens.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's this one, right?

Yeah that's it, thanks. This Canadian finds it catchy as hell, maybe because I've heard it so much already(and hope to many more times).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad