WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
One thing I didn't take into consideration is that next year's tournament is in Canada and the one after in USA, Buffalo. This gives the GMs of NHL clubs more motivation to send their prospects to WJC as their players won't have to adjust to European sized rink and mess up their momentum/game if those players are doing good at that moment.

So this increases the odds of having Pulju, Aho or Laine in the squad next year, but yeah if they are in the NHL instead of AHL chances of having them are low regardless of the fact that next WJC is played in NA.

You're probably right, but from what I read Aho was already great at Carolina's training camp this fall and Kärpät got lucky that they decided to send him back. I just cant see them sending him back again after amazing WJC's and Liiga season.

Ok. I didn't know he did so well at Carolina.

Ville231

Dec 7, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Wonder why Juolevi didn't get the assist on Saarelas' 3-3 goal. He clearly passed the puck to Pulju who gave it to Saarela. In that regard Juolevi should have 0+10 by now.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
According to the article his father was born in Sweden to Finnish parents, mother is a Finn who moved to Sweden after meeting the father.

His Father is named "Jari Puljujärvi".. As that is 100% finnish name, They are probably Finnish family (genetics) that moved to sweden.. happened alot in the few years after war, when many went to work in Swedish factories.. And Pulju doesn't even look an inch a Swede! ;) :D

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It's not a given that they'll be with the big club, though. Actually, I'd give it decent odds that at least one of them will be available.

Anyway, something like this...

Goalies + Defense

Veini Vehviläinen
Christian Heljanko
Nico Viksten

Olli Juolevi - Vili Saarijärvi
Robin Salo - Veeti Vainio
Juuso Välimäki - Markus Niemeläinen
Urho Vaakanainen

Forwards, best case scenario

Patrik Laine - Sebastian Aho - Jesse Puljujärvi
Kasper Björkqvist- Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Petrus Palmu - Julius Nättinen - Eetu Tuulola
Kristian Vesalainen - Otto Somppi - Aaro Vidgren
Topi Piipponen

Forwards with either Laine or Puljujärvi

Kasper Björkqvist - Sebastian Aho - Laine/Puljujärvi
Kristian Vesalainen - Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Topi Piipponen - Otto Somppi - Aaro Vidgren
Henrik Borgström

Forwards without either

Sebastian Aho - Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Kasper Björkqvist - Otto Somppi - Kristian Vesalainen
Topi Piipponen - Henrik Borgström - Aaro Vidgren
Arttu Ruotsalainen

I really like the puck skills on that defense; many two-way Ds and none one-dimensional defensive Ds. Personally I'd like to see Tolvanen play next year already, but it depends on his play of course.

If it were up to me I'd probably just pick all the most skilled players and just forget about the grinders, which would probably lead to a bad team. All in all, we should have a competitive roster again next year.

My dream team for next year (who will play on PK is beyond me):

Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Saarela - Nättinen - Tolvanen
Björkqvist - Ruotsalainen - Tuulola
Tammela - Somppi - Vesalainen
Palmu (if somebody is injured insert Borgström)

Juolevi - Salo
Välimäki - Saarijärvi
Vaakanainen - Niemeläinen
Vainio

Vehviläinen
Others

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
His Father is named "Jari Puljujärvi".. As that is 100% finnish name, They are probably Finnish family (genetics) that moved to sweden.. happened alot in the few years after war, when many went to work in Swedish factories.. And Pulju doesn't even look an inch a Swede! ;) :D

Älvkarleby is one strange place to grow up in. It's a tiny place in the middle of nowhere where some chinese billionaire has taken over and built some kind of enormous temple. Looks pretty bizarre.

b81a7b09-5ab0-4ab1-a7a4-8aa0ea9f3295

800px-TKArme.jpg

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Älvkarleby is one strange place to grow up in. It's a tiny place in the middle of nowhere where some chinese billionaire has taken over and built some kind of enormous temple. Looks pretty bizarre.

Lol I want to visit there!

And Kähkönen is starting, yeees!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And Kähkönen is starting, yeees!
Well, Jalonen would have been utterly batdung nuts to make any other choice. Coaches are funny... but not THAT funny.

Otherwise it's the same lineup.

Kähkönen (Vehviläinen)

Juolevi - Tuulola
Mikkola - Niku
Keskitalo - Saarijärvi

Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Saarela - Nättinen - Kapanen
Kalapudas - Hintz - Rantanen
Björkqvist - Siikonen - Lammikko
+Repo

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

800px-TKArme.jpg

Awkwardeby. But it actually is interesting. I hope I can visit it some time.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Other than this one theres another goal song, the only lyrics I can remember is
" Eh, eh , eh, you ". Probably doesn't help much.

Are you looking for the Finnish goal song? It's been posted a couple of times, but it's this one:

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
You have to wonder what this team could be like if guys like Rantanen and Kapanen were at their best too. Now it kind of feels like there's a black hole in offensive production with these two guys. There's no way to turn our defensemen into first round talents but a guy like Rantanen has shown that he can carry a national team but we're just getting no production from him this year. So frustrating.

And now he did it! He stepped up big time to lead this team when it mattered, just like Ristolainen in 2014 :handclap:.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Russia played very well, but I was not that surprised that they beat the states.

I'm not sure about you guys but I think Russia is a better match up for Finland in the final than the states would have been.

Russia is an amazing team this year, but it will be hard for them to beat Finland twice in the same tournament.

Let's do this!!!! :handclap:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So, our guys met Russia once already, and lost back then, 6-4. What happened back then? Well, our defense was still lost, we had shaky Vehviläinen... and despite that, we actually not just controlled, but absolutely dominated the game at strides 'til the half-way mark, until we let Russia back into the game with a few minutes of sloppy play and conceded three goals in a rapid manner. The players admitted after the game that they thought they had it in the bag and lost their focus.

So, what has changed since then?

Kähkönen >>>>>>> Vehviläinen.
Our defense has found its sea legs.
Having lost that game, they probably won't let hubris take over again.

Not saying Russia can't win, but if they win, it's unlikely it'll happen by exploiting the same faults we had in the group stage. Also, the kiddie line had no troubles back then in the offensive end, and as the rematch rolls around, hopefully Russia won't still have the tools to blanket them as actively as Sweden did.

Add to that Rantanen finding his game and slightly longer recovery time, I can't say our odds are looking all that bad heading into this. There are no easy wins at this point, but oddly enough, it's - for once - the kind of setup that does not require a "perfect" game to win - just having one that's "very good" may in fact do.

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Both teams have changed since the group stage match. I doubt it will be at all similar. That said, we should be favourites assuming the back end holds up as well as it did against SWE. Those extra hours of rest and the home crowd should also work in our favour. Can't turtle with a lead like we did in the semi though, the Russians certainly have the backbone to come back if you let them.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Don't feel too comfortable about Russia. Those guys can be stingy as hell and they have this groove thing going on in this tournament. I don't think people expected them to go this far, it's a good situation to be in (kind of like Finland in 2014). We looked pretty good against them in group stage despite the loss, but even an average looking Russia can be deadly efficient. They are good at ruining other people's party (remember the comeback against Canada in Canada.)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Don't feel too comfortable about Russia.
Nobody is. Bad teams don't make it to the final game. All that's being stated is that it's unlikely to be much similar with what happened during the group stage. Whatever it is that settles this game, it will be something else.

Regardless, getting too comfortable was a big part of the result back then, so this team if anybody should know to avoid that pitfall now.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Nobody is. Bad teams don't make it to the final game. All that's being stated is that it's unlikely to be much similar with what happened during the group stage. Whatever it is that settles this game, it will be something else.

Regardless, getting too comfortable was a big part of the result back then, so this team if anybody should know to avoid that pitfall now.

Yeah sorry, I actually meant that I don't feel comfortable about facing Russia, for the reasons I listed. But like you said, there are no easy teams left anymore, if there ever was. USA would have been a different kind of beast but just as difficult.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
For what it's worth, booking agencies seem to think Finland is, if ever so slightly, the favorite. As per livetulokset.com, that is.

I doubt this will be a very goal rich game:
- I don't think Finland will have another 7 minute meltdown,
- Kähkönen is in a solid groove, so is the russian goalie
- Both played a decent game defensively in the semis

That said however, I think Finland has more firepower, while both seem to be playing solid defensive hockey at this point. Thus I think Finland has the upper hand, though by a small margin. Anything can happen.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Came here to congratulate you guys on a wonderful tournament, wonderful team, players and the atmosphere in Hartwall Arena.

I also want to apologize because I didn't really believe much in Finland's team before the tournament, but I can't help but say, I just love this team. Good game against Canada, and great effort there again against Sweden.

Puljujärvi will be a huge star, and I think players like Laine, Aho, Kapanen, or Rantanen will get their piece too. And from what I've watched, I also like Kalapudas.

Russia is a strong team. They surprised me that they basically outplayed the States in physical battles. But your team is something to wach :nod: Wish you the gold medal.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I hope galores, whoever wins then wins but please don't trap.

Now that other 'stronger' pool has been devastated we can go back to normal again

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Russia is a strong team. They surprised me that they basically outplayed the States in physical battles. But your team is something to wach :nod: Wish you the gold medal.

That's the word. They've got some ridiculous muscle on that team. I had a perfect view to see our defense get dominated along the boards in the group stage match... I think the image of Niku trying to defend against Dergachyov will haunt me for like a week if we lose tomorrow. Thankfully our team was (finally) tremendously successful in escaping pressure in the defensive zone against Sweden, so hopefully they won't get pushed around as much as they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00