GDT: 2015 World Junior Championship

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I hope the US can, but right now, I don't see any team beating Canada. They look great.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He played better but still terrible for a first round pick. Someone gives him a pass in his skates and he falls down? lol

The play where he went around the entire offensive zone controlling the puck and took a wrist shot from the point, then caught the guy on the back check was 1st round player play.

I guess it's the cool thing to crap on Kapanen now. Too bad he isn't perfect like every other young player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Cernak for Slovakia looks pretty solid, and he's draft elligible. I think I heard he missed a game due to questionable hits/penalties so he's right up our alley.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
glad to see he rebounded. just to reiterate again: he's 18. he showed some heart today, that's all we need to see, we know the skill is there

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I watched the Can/Fin game, and didn't even realize that Kapanen was playing until the second period. I didn't think he played that great, that being said, I still LOVE the pick, you can really see his talent. Not the least bit worried that an 18/19 year old needs to work on his motivation, especially one that possibly feels more "entitled" to the pros, because his dad played in the NHL.

As someone who collects the draft preview from THN every year, since Kariya, Tverdovsky/Storr, etc were drafted, I remember Marian Hossa's draft year saying similar things about Kapanen.....that he had great offence, needed to work on his defence and intensity, and we all know how that worked out!

dvonfunk

Jun 25, 2013
Watched the Canada-Finland game. Once again, Kapanen contributed little offensively but showed up on the defensive end, chasing guys down from behind, working the puck away from them on the backcheck, etc.

What stands out most about him is his skating, but that should come as no surprise. Really smooth. Good wheels on the lad.

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, that's for sure.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
http://yle.fi/urheilu/kasperi_kapan...uden_olen_valmis_nostamaan_kaden_ylos/7710968

He admits that he has forget the basics so far. Backchecking, skating etc. He said he promise to skate , backcheck and work hard tonight. We'll see if he can do it, or is he just saying so.

Watched the Canada-Finland game. Once again, Kapanen contributed little offensively but showed up on the defensive end, chasing guys down from behind, working the puck away from them on the backcheck, etc.

What stands out most about him is his skating, but that should come as no surprise. Really smooth. Good wheels on the lad.

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, that's for sure.

I'm still planning on watching the game to see it for myself, but if that is true, he set goals for himself and reached them. That ain't bad, even if his whole overall performance still isn't something to be too happy about.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Don't judge a player off one tournament. MacKinnon's tournament was never that great neither was Drouin's although Drouin did have a great second year tournament. Kapanen's no Drouin or MacKinnon, but his potential or ceiling doesn't drop based off of one week IMO.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Don't judge a player off one tournament. MacKinnon's tournament was never that great neither was Drouin's although Drouin did have a great second year tournament. Kapanen's no Drouin or MacKinnon, but his potential or ceiling doesn't drop based off of one week IMO.

Not only that but there has been so many players that have had great tournaments and then resulted to nothing in the NHL.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Duclair...we drafted a 5'7 playmaking center out of a Minnesota high school instead of this guy. No matter what Guentzel becomes, I will never understand that.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Kapanen needs to learn the NA game, simple as that. Hopefully he'll come over next year and have a big year in the A.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I feel sorry for fans who sleep on these New Year's Eve CAN/US games. They're always some of the very best hockey of the year, and today's no exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad