GDT: 2015 World Junior Championship

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Duclair...we drafted a 5'7 playmaking center out of a Minnesota high school instead of this guy. No matter what Guentzel becomes, I will never understand that.

He's 5'10", and other teams passed on Duclair several times over.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Guentzel's 5'10 only in the sense that Downie's 5'11.

And other teams didn't know for certain that they will have no need for a playmaking center (let alone a midget playmaking center, which we already have a few of) for another 8 years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As disappointed as I've been in Kapanen, that's how impressed I've been with Larkin. What a player.

Detroit isn't going to fall off any time soon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel's 5'10 only in the sense that Downie's 5'11.

And other teams didn't know for certain that they will have no need for a playmaking center (let alone a midget playmaking center, which we already have a few of) for another 8 years.

He can play wing too, and I'm pretty sure he did in his freshman year. Duclair would've been a great fit here, but Guentzel's hockey sense and craftiness has always impressed me.

I've compared him to a poor man's Schwartz before, and he's done well on the wing in St.Louis. I don't think that's a pick we need to throw our arms up about just yet.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Guentzel isn't our problem. He looks like a very decent prospect who's got a fair chance at being what they targeted in him when he was drafted: a middle-6 offensive forward.
You can't complain about who we took in the 3rd round that year if he becomes an NHLer. The majority of 3rd rounders don't make the NHL. If Guentzel does, that's a win for us.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Guentzel isn't our problem. He looks like a very decent prospect who's got a fair chance at being what they targeted in him when he was drafted: a middle-6 offensive forward.
You can't complain about who we took in the 3rd round that year if he becomes an NHLer. The majority of 3rd rounders don't make the NHL. If Guentzel does, that's a win for us.

I want him to become a Gaudreau. :sarcasm:

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Kapanen goes to the net to score his first of the tourny and tie up the game with Sweden.

Another great game to watch in what's turning out to be a great WJHC championship to watch (even by WJHC standards).

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North

I think I read somewhere Duclair was passed over because of off-ice issues on the Remparts, which never amounted to anything and he didn't play to expectations in his draft season.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Not sure why it's so small but whatever.

400f7767dd.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad