Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v37) Next: @ Atl| Tue, Sept 15 | 7pm ET/4pm PT| Buehrle vs Tehran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
people are overreacting on Sanchez. He gave up a bunch of ground ball hits. I agree he should be only used for 1 inning outings but he's still our 8th inning guy. We need our starters to get back to going 7 innings so that we don't have to waste Cecil and Lowe so early in games and aren't in a situation where we have to stretch Sanchez out past 10-15 pitches.

to be fair Buehrle was at 66 pitches when he came out, and could have went 8 innings, but we needed to PH Colabello in a tight spot.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They probably did expect the Braves to just rollover, but the Yankees series vs the Braves isn't relevant. The Jays could absolutely dominate an opposing team over a stretch of 3-4 games and the Yankees could come in immediately afterwards and get shutdown by them.

You mean kind of like how the Jays took 2 out 3 against a sliding Baltimore team, but then the Yanks lose 2 of 3 to that exact same struggling team right after?

I guess baseball happens

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Its almost like in a 162 game season even really good teams are going to put up stinkers at inopportune times

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Because they do. We just witnessed it. If you can't tell, even bad teams are able to shutdown and beat good teams.

Gonna go in circles here. Also does every post you make have to come off as being glib and sarcastic? It isn't conducive to open discussion at all.

Yes good teams lose to bad teams. No it doesn't excuse the poor managing and performance in this game. Throwing up your hands and exclaiming "oh well good teams lose to bad teams" is a nice way of blanketing all discussion about why they lost. It's a way of marginalizing other arguments in favour of a general rationalization.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
You mean kind of like how the Jays took 2 out 3 against a sliding Baltimore team, but then the Yanks lose 2 of 3 to that exact same struggling team right after?

I guess baseball happens

And the Jays lost 2 of 3 to Boston... :laugh:

I feel like there have been a few to many missed opportunities for the Jays to separate themselves from NY other than when they play each other, but I'm no the ones on the field, so meh.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
:biglaugh: The guy who sets the fireworks off for the Indians at home when a HR is hit accidentally did it when Rios hit a HR for Kansas City tonight

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The thing is the entire team and management didn't help themselves. Look at how ATL managed their pen vs the Jays. ATL batters worked counts and got good contact.

This wasn't a .500 team you expect to win 2 of 3 from, the Braves are a team that had won 5 of their last 33 games. New York DESTROYED them and put up 8 runs against this same pitcher, and if he's great against righties, Gibbons should have laden his line up with as many lefties as he could.

Just a lazy attitude from the team coming into this one, they have won so easily that they figured they'd just automatically win, at least that's my feeling on the game. Just hope it's a wake up call and they come prepared moving forward.

Buerhle isn't going 7 innings probably ever again.

That's fine. I just think we need quality starts from guys outside of Price so that we don't have to go to Cecil or Lowe so early in games. We haven't had many quality starts lately outside of Price and it really takes away options for later in games.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
:biglaugh: The guy who sets the fireworks off for the Indians at home when a HR is hit accidentally did it when Rios hit a HR for Kansas City tonight

:laugh:

That's pretty epic. Home fans must've been confused.

Or maybe the fireworks guy converted to become a KC fan. I can just imagine him setting off the fireworks, the crowd looks over in confusion, then he rips off his shirt... to reveal a KC jersey! WWF style! He flips the fans the bird, and runs off giggling.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
to be fair Buehrle was at 66 pitches when he came out, and could have went 8 innings, but we needed to PH Colabello in a tight spot.

Oh I understand tonight...I don't really blame anyone but the offense tonight. They simply didn't score enough runs. I just hope Stroman, Estrada, and Dickey can start giving us 7 innings of 2 run ball or something like that so we can save Lowe or Cecil for later in games. If there are three lefties scheduled up in the 8th it would be good to have Cecil available or if we need a strike out with a runner on 3rd with less than 1 out it would be nice to have Lowe available.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
And the Jays lost 2 of 3 to Boston... :laugh:

I feel like there have been a few to many missed opportunities for the Jays to separate themselves from NY other than when they play each other, but I'm no the ones on the field, so meh.

That's fair but you have to realize that the Jays have only lost two series before that since the All Star Break (in Seattle and against the Yankees last month) .. So yeah they should be beating Boston, and it sucks that they couldn't capitalize but they really have been making the most of their opportunities.

The loss sucks tonight but if they win the next two then it's not as bad .. If they lose the series though, then I'm not going to happy. Even the worst teams in baseball average 1 win every 3 games.

As these games get critical down the stretch though they need to find a way to win these games more frequently to stay ahead of the Yankees

That's pretty epic. Home fans must've been confused.

Or maybe the fireworks guy converted to become a KC fan. I can just imagine him setting off the fireworks, the crowd looks over in confusion, then he rips off his shirt... to reveal a KC jersey! WWF style! He flips the fans the bird, and runs off giggling.

:laugh: They showed a video of him .. He tried to hide but the camera kept following him around.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Gonna go in circles here. Also does every post you make have to come off as being glib and sarcastic? It isn't conducive to open discussion at all.

Yes good teams lose to bad teams. No it doesn't excuse the poor managing and performance in this game. Throwing up your hands and exclaiming "oh well good teams lose to bad teams" is a nice way of blanketing all discussion about why they lost. It's a way of marginalizing other arguments in favour of a general rationalization.

No? I typically try to bring as much discussion to the table as possible. This argument doesn't really require it however.

It's weird how I'm always painted as a villain for not being an emotional wreck.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
:laugh: They showed a video of him .. He tried to hide but the camera kept following him around.

Aww, that would've been a glorious opportunity for him to pull the WWF shirt-ripping, team switch. Such a missed opportunity. That would be on the hi-lites forever. He'd be a legend... as long as he could make it out of the park alive, first. :D

That must be so embarrassing for him -- to mistakenly set of the fireworks, and THEN be featured on the camera as they followed him around. Kind of feel bad for him, but it's still so funny at the same time. :laugh:

Just hope he doesn't lose his job. If he does, then that's just lame.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No? I typically try to bring as much discussion to the table as possible. This argument doesn't really require it however.

It's weird how I'm always painted as a villain for not being an emotional wreck.

It's not about being emotional. You can rationally analyze a loss without being overly emotional about it. To me when you immediately respond to my post in that manner with that tone my impression is that you want to limit discussion to a very restrictive arena. In essence I could say anything and you could come back at me with that "good teams lose to bad teams" line, and if you look back you did exactly that. In debating terms you're using a fallacy to suppress other potential arguments. At least that's my impression.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Marlins beat the Mets tonight 9-3, so yes good teams can lose to bad teams, without it being some kind of doom.

It's not about a loss being doom, it's about a lack of willingness to engage in discussion or criticism about the loss.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
people are overreacting on Sanchez. He gave up a bunch of ground ball hits. I agree he should be only used for 1 inning outings but he's still our 8th inning guy. We need our starters to get back to going 7 innings so that we don't have to waste Cecil and Lowe so early in games and aren't in a situation where we have to stretch Sanchez out past 10-15 pitches.

Sanchez should always have been behind Lowe and Cecil on the pecking order, though. Lowe has almost been as good as Osuna this year with Seattle and now here, he should've been the 8th inning man from day 1 when he was acquired.

Sanchez just isn't that great. He has generated 4 swinging strikes in his last 140 pitches, constantly falls behind hitters, and can't be trusted when he really needs a K. He's probably our 4th best reliever, definitely not 2nd.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
This is why I hate the NL.

Baseball purists may disagree with me but I say bring the DH into both leagues...so what if you have a few pitchers that can hit...most of them can't and you have pitchers leaving earlier than they would otherwise...not to mention the possibility of an ace getting injured on the basepaths if they do happen to get on base.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Sanchez should always have been behind Lowe and Cecil on the pecking order, though. Lowe has almost been as good as Osuna this year with Seattle and now here, he should've been the 8th inning man from day 1 when he was acquired.

Sanchez just isn't that great. He has generated 4 swinging strikes in his last 140 pitches, constantly falls behind hitters, and can't be trusted when he really needs a K. He's probably our 4th best reliever, definitely not 2nd.

I feel Lowe has been getting an unfair treatment from Gibby (and maybe some fans, but certainly not saying anyone in particular) because of his unfortunate debut. It's really not fair to him if this is the case. He should be trusted more in important situations, or at least give the guy more chances to prove himself again. He's a great pitcher. We probably wont be able to keep him after this season (although I hope we can), so let's use him while we have him.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
As long as we can gain 1 game on the Yankees before we play them Monday we will be in great shape.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Baseball purists may disagree with me but I say bring the DH into both leagues...so what if you have a few pitchers that can hit...most of them can't and you have pitchers leaving earlier than they would otherwise...not to mention the possibility of an ace getting injured on the basepaths if they do happen to get on base.

I agree. Baseball has changed so much over the years, from how starting pitchers are used, and how the reliever role has changed drastically, among many other things. Players are much more specialized now are also MUCH bigger financial investments compared to the old times. Do owners really think it's a good idea to have their best pitchers, who they are paying millions of dollars, in the firing line of 100mph fastballs at the plate? Time to get with the times in the NL, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad