Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v37) Next: @ Atl| Tue, Sept 15 | 7pm ET/4pm PT| Buehrle vs Tehran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
This loss doesn't really bother me as long as we win the next two.

The record in 1 run games however does bother me. My biggest concern with this team is if they can win the tight 1 run ball games which the team will need to do to go deep in the playoffs.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They should have gotten more than 5 hits off this scrub team, that's why they lost. This Sanchez can't pitch two innings stuff is nonsense, he was a starter for Christs sakes

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

The record in 1 run games however does bother me. My biggest concern with this team is if they can win the tight 1 run ball games which the team will need to do to go deep in the playoffs.

To be fair, that would have been two runs if it wasn't a walkoff.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Actually whoever called for the 5 man infield in here...that's an idea I can get behind. Simmons 10th in league in GB%, Sanchez 5th in league in GB% (min 80 innings)

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Girardi puts another no namer in, basehit.

Somehow that always works for him, take anyone off the bench give them a huge opportunity and they come up good for him.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
..... You should really look at his numbers since he's moved to the pen in July

Two rough appearances in a row doesn't change how dominant he's been out of the pen.

Not including his last two outings they are 18.2 IP .. 7 hits .. 3 walks .. 7 K's .. 1 ER .. Pretty damn good

That's pretty good. How do Lowe's numbers look over that time span? He's been great from my recollection, so I think he'd still be a better option. It's all about putting the best possible team out there in key situations. Even if Lowe is just BARELY better, that's reason enough for me.

If teams were more patient against Sanchez I really think they could rack up the walks. Not sure why that scouting report isn't out yet.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Still not sure why people are making it like it was a cinch Jays win regardless of any decision made there in the 9th

Did Sanchez even give up a hard hit ball? Crap happens. Was calling for the Simmons walk but you got almost exactly what you wanted out of him (weak grounder)

It's decisions like this by the manager that decides whether a team lose a close game or win. Why was Sanchez out there for a second inning when we got weapons in the bullpen? Yes, the top of the order was bad tonight, but they are coming up in the 10th with Josh and Jose in order. It's a tie-game, and Gibbons lets Sanchez go 2, even though he's got a bunch of arms in the bullpen. You roll your bullpen like the way Atlanta did.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
What am I excusing? They deserved to lose. I'm not one to dwell on the fact that they lost to a bad team though, because like I said, these things happen.

The thing is the entire team and management didn't help themselves. Look at how ATL managed their pen vs the Jays. ATL batters worked counts and got good contact.

This wasn't a .500 team you expect to win 2 of 3 from, the Braves are a team that had won 5 of their last 33 games. New York DESTROYED them and put up 8 runs against this same pitcher, and if he's great against righties, Gibbons should have laden his line up with as many lefties as he could.

Just a lazy attitude from the team coming into this one, they have won so easily that they figured they'd just automatically win, at least that's my feeling on the game. Just hope it's a wake up call and they come prepared moving forward.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What am I excusing? They deserved to lose. I'm not one to dwell on the fact that they lost to a bad team though, because like I said, these things happen.

Well you responded directly to my initial post with the line "good teams lose to bad teams" .. To me that's making an excuse. It's a blanket general rationalization you can post whenever this happens. It doesn't address the problems that contributed to the loss.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well you responded directly to my initial post with the line "good teams lose to bad teams" .. To me that's making an excuse. It's a blanket general rationalization you can post whenever this happens. It doesn't address the problems that contributed to the loss.

Because they do. We just witnessed it. If you can't tell, even bad teams are able to shutdown and beat good teams.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I agree. As long as we keep winning series we should be fine. That's why I said as soon as we lost: "We better win the next two." I'll be more than satisfied with 2 out of 3 on the road against any team. It's baseball: nothing is ever guaranteed, and anything can happen. Yankees proved that just last night in the 9th with 2 outs.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
people are overreacting on Sanchez. He gave up a bunch of ground ball hits. I agree he should be only used for 1 inning outings but he's still our 8th inning guy. We need our starters to get back to going 7 innings so that we don't have to waste Cecil and Lowe so early in games and aren't in a situation where we have to stretch Sanchez out past 10-15 pitches.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Actually whoever called for the 5 man infield in here...that's an idea I can get behind. Simmons 10th in league in GB%, Sanchez 5th in league in GB% (min 80 innings)

5 man infield makes complete sense anytime you have a runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs in the bottom of 9th, or extras in a tie game.

A normal fly ball scores the winning run anyway, the outfielders have to play so shallow that 2 can usually cover it(along with the infielders running back as well), better chance to cut down a groundball.

I'm really surprised we don't see it more often with all the shifts we see these days. It seems most people are too traditional to shift an outfielder into the infield when it makes sense.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
people are overreacting on Sanchez. He gave up a bunch of ground ball hits. I agree he should be only used for 1 inning outings but he's still our 8th inning guy. We need our starters to get back to going 7 innings so that we don't have to waste Cecil and Lowe so early in games and aren't in a situation where we have to stretch Sanchez out past 10-15 pitches.

Buerhle isn't going 7 innings probably ever again.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is the entire team and management didn't help themselves. Look at how ATL managed their pen vs the Jays. ATL batters worked counts and got good contact.

This wasn't a .500 team you expect to win 2 of 3 from, the Braves are a team that had won 5 of their last 33 games. New York DESTROYED them and put up 8 runs against this same pitcher, and if he's great against righties, Gibbons should have laden his line up with as many lefties as he could.

Just a lazy attitude from the team coming into this one, they have won so easily that they figured they'd just automatically win, at least that's my feeling on the game. Just hope it's a wake up call and they come prepared moving forward.

They probably did expect the Braves to just rollover, but the Yankees series vs the Braves isn't relevant. The Jays could absolutely dominate an opposing team over a stretch of 3-4 games and the Yankees could come in immediately afterwards and get shutdown by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad