Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v37) Next: @ Atl| Tue, Sept 15 | 7pm ET/4pm PT| Buehrle vs Tehran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I assume you mean only getting five hits off this garbage pitching staff

I mean Gibbons not learning from the last time he tried to force Sanchez to pitch two innings. Also that bizarre decision to not walk to create the force out play.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Wait? Just saw the play by play online(I turned off the TV), how did Keimeier score from 1st on a single by JP?

It was a bloop and he was off on the pitch. He then held up thinking it was gonna be caught, but the outfielder dove and couldn't catch it, so he turned it on and scored.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It was a bloop and he was off on the pitch. He then held up thinking it was gonna be caught, but the outfielder dove and couldn't catch it, so he turned it on and scored.

??? Keirmaier held up on the crack of the bat, and still got home? How did JP not get to 2nd?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
You call a loss almost every game any time anything remotely bad happens. That's nothing to let you thump your chest about said predictions. Blind squirrels and broken clocks and all that.

Actually I never predict losses. Just rip on players who suck.. And moron gibbons.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Anyone else losing more and more faith in Sanchez? That's two pretty crappy outings in a row. Frankly, he scares me, and I've been saying this for most of the season now, so this isn't new from me, and not just because of the 2 crappy performances in a row. I don't think Gibby should trust him as anymore than a matchup pitcher against a batter or TWO at most.

He really needs to get better control. Even tonight he missed the location on many pitches, judging from where Martin placed his glove, which is usually a pretty good indicator. He's young so I think he'll certainly get better. But I really think he should only be in for a batter or two at this point. Use Lowe, Cecil and Hendricks in high stakes positions.

..... You should really look at his numbers since he's moved to the pen in July

Two rough appearances in a row doesn't change how dominant he's been out of the pen.

Not including his last two outings they are 18.2 IP .. 7 hits .. 3 walks .. 7 K's .. 1 ER .. Pretty damn good

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Both those crappy outings he came in and cleaned up a full inning without issue.

He just should not be pitching a 2nd inning.

I am sure that's the last time we will see it.

A bit of it has to do with seeing if Sanchez could rebound from what had happened before.

But with the off day yesterday and the expanded rosters, there isn't much of an excuse as to why Gibbons couldn't have gone with the pen.

Also, why is Sanchez throwing the breaking ball anywhere close to the zone? Burn a couple in the dirt and beat them with the heat. Nobody was getting close to 97.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
??? Keirmaier held up on the crack of the bat, and still got home? How did JP not get to 2nd?

He was running on the pitch, but when he saw it hit pretty high he just slowed down rounding 2nd and wasn't really running hard.

Then it dropped, so he ripped around 3rd and scored.

Pretty poorly played by the outfielder, but can't really call it an error. It was Noel(Sp?) playing RF.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not excusing the way it was managed, but most importantly it wasn't played well by the players. This stuff happens. And yes, it happens even against teams like the Braves. They weren't going to lose every game they play and they managed to hold the Jays in check.

I said it was poorly managed and poorly played. When you combine those two it usually results in a loss. Saying "good teams lose to bad teams" is excusing that IMO. Yes it's baseball and yes it's a sport so weird things happen. No that does not excuse poor management and performance in game.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Saw it floating around on twitter that he has like 4 swinging strikes in his last 140 pitches or something

He induces weak contact but the complete lack of misses is a concern

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Both those crappy outings he came in and cleaned up a full inning without issue.

He just should not be pitching a 2nd inning.

I am sure that's the last time we will see it.

The way he's constantly missing pitch locations scares me. He can get away with it to an extent because of his high velocity. Yankees were smart to be patient and take walks against him. But he also seems to be giving up more hits lately, too. Just not impressed. I hope we don't see him for more than an inning again, as you suggest. I still think the best use for him is as a spot pitcher against a right-handed hitter or two, then yank him. Kind of how the Braves did that tonight with a couple relievers, only in for one batter. He has such good tools, but needs to work on his tool box.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Saw it floating around on twitter that he has like 4 swinging strikes in his last 140 pitches or something

I've noticed the Jays have had trouble getting strike outs from their entire staff the last little while, other than Cecil.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Still not sure why people are making it like it was a cinch Jays win regardless of any decision made there in the 9th

Did Sanchez even give up a hard hit ball? Crap happens. Was calling for the Simmons walk but you got almost exactly what you wanted out of him (weak grounder)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

He literally only has 1 pitch. I don't care how nasty it is, if everyone sees it coming, they won't miss it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still not sure why people are making it like it was a cinch Jays win regardless of any decision made there in the 9th

Did Sanchez even give up a hard hit ball? Crap happens. Was calling for the Simmons walk but you got almost exactly what you wanted out of him (weak grounder)

Personally I don't think any game is an easy win which is why I am more annoyed with tonight's performance.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I said it was poorly managed and poorly played. When you combine those two it usually results in a loss. Saying "good teams lose to bad teams" is excusing that IMO. Yes it's baseball and yes it's a sport so weird things happen. No that does not excuse poor management and performance in game.

What am I excusing? They deserved to lose. I'm not one to dwell on the fact that they lost to a bad team though, because like I said, these things happen.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Sanchez: Osuna, Lowe
Arguably also better than Sanchez: Cecil

7-8-9 should quite easily be Cecil-Lowe-Osuna. I've never been sold on Sanchez as long term relief because of his inablity to miss bats. Sanchez needs to be taken out of that 8th inning role if there's a FAR better option in Lowe, though.

Yep, I think Cecil-Lowe-Osuna is our best possible pitchers for the 7th, 8th and 9th inning, respectively. Lowe has been great lately. Or at least it seems he has -- maybe the numbers go against that, but I'd be surprised. I think Hawkins might even be a bit better at this point, but that is pretty arguable, I guess. Hawkins hasn't exactly looked awesome lately, either.

Absolutely agree that Lowe is a MUCH better option for the 8th, if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad