Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v31) Next: vs Bal| Fri, Sept 4| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Jimenez vs Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
O's trolling us big time. Hitting home runs, getting hit by pitches, now using a pitcher named Drake?? It's too much.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
One hit vs. six strikeouts for the top 5 in the Jays' batting order (Revere, JD, JB, EE, Tulo). Hutch was bad. Relief wasn't very good. Defense was iffy at times. Two Martin GIDPs also made it hard to get momentum at a couple of key times. It was a good (or bad) group effort in this loss tonight -- almost everyone contributed in some way to this loss.

Did I miss anything?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So when can we displace Hutch in the rotation? Stroman is pitching on the 7th and then I assume if all goes well he can get a start in NY and take over him then? I can't stand Hutch. Way too inconsistent

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So when can we displace Hutch in the rotation? Stroman is pitching on the 7th and then I assume if all goes well he can get a start in NY and take over him then? I can't stand Hutch. Way too inconsistent

I'm surprised Stroman isn't in the running for the Cy Young the way HfBoards is ready to crown him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not often you can pin the loss on two players but man Martin and Hutchison were bad tonight.

Hutch has this tendency of getting hit hard when it's not going well. Like he won't give up just soft singles, it'll be HRs.

I love Martin's defense but he can be an idiot at bat sometimes.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Hutch is a perfect exhibit of why wins and losses mean very little for pitchers as a stat. He had a much better ERA and WHIP last year, yet his record this year is MUCH better (11-13 last year, 13-3 this year). Great run support can do that. He just really hasn't been very good. Dickey was also pretty bad in the first half, but at least he's really stepped it up over a VERY long stretch. Not so with Hutch. Bring on Stroman!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'm surprised Stroman isn't in the running for the Cy Young the way HfBoards is ready to crown him.

Really?

After the career he's had so far?

A knee injury is going to stop him?

He's an upgrade on at least two of our current starters, much less Hutchison...

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not often you can pin the loss on two players but man Martin and Hutchison were bad tonight.

Hutch has this tendency of getting hit hard when it's not going well. Like he won't give up just soft singles, it'll be HRs.

I love Martin's defense but he can be an idiot at bat sometimes.

Agree on all accounts. I also love how well Martin calls games. But as you say his batting can be frustrating, and so is his lack of speed.

I don't think Hutch can be trusted at all with big games. I hope he doesn't pitch against the Yankees at all, even at home.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Man that Bautista screw up was bad. Not sure why that wasn't considered an error. The Revere misplay was bad too and I don't understand why those get called as home runs allowed for the pitcher.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

You don't need a Cy Young winner to replace Hutchinson.

You're right though, a lot of unfair expectation and anticipated results are being placed on a kid who has 26 major league games to his credit.

I don't know baseball, but what I've read about him (6 pitches???? he's hacking the game) makes him seem incredibly competent. Doesn't mean it's fair to anoint him as the next coming.

Fortunately the Jays are good without him, so I'm hopeful that it's not a result of fans thinking "If we have X, Y and Z, we're actually a good team!", but an accurate portrayal of his ability. And besides which, they're elite without him.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Really?

After the career he's had so far?

A knee injury is going to stop him?

He's an upgrade on at least two of our current starters, much less Hutchison...

He's played one season, and hasn't pitched in the MLB in an entire year. People already have him penciled as the #2 Playoff Starter... let's slow it down a bit. For anyone to come in after a year off and pitch great right off the bat is rare, let alone a rookie who has pitched one year in the MLB...

Even without the injury, there's the potential that MLB players adjust to him - so let's not jump the gun already.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's played one season, and hasn't pitched in the MLB in an entire year. People already have him penciled as the #2 Playoff Starter... let's slow it down a bit. For anyone to come in after a year off and pitch great is rare, let alone a rookie who has pitched one year in the MLB...

Even without the injury, there's the potential that MLB players adjust to him - so let's not jump the gun already.

Nobody is asking or expecting him to come in as the #1 starter. He'll be at best the #4 guy, or just the #5 guy down the stretch, and then into the pen in the playoffs when the teams go down to a 4 man rotation (Price, Estrada, Dickey, Buehrle).

I'm not sure if you've ever watched Stroman, but he's poised beyond his years, and his stuff is so much better than Hutch's. I guess the Yankees should pull this 21 year old pitcher they have pitching for them down the stretch, who also just happened to win tonight. Too young. Besides, Stroman's injury had nothing to do with his arm. Pitchers just don't forget how to pitch, or is this what you're suggesting?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Nobody is asking or expecting him to come in as the #1 starter. He'll be at best the #4 guy, or just the #5 guy down the stretch, and then into the pen in the playoffs when the teams go down to a 4 man rotation (Price, Estrada, Dickey, Buerhle).

Read the Blue Jays sticky.

I'm not sure if you've ever watched Stroman, but he's poised beyond his years, and his stuff is so much better than Hutch's. I guess the Yankees should pull this 21 year old pitcher they have pitching for them down the stretch, who also just happened to win tonight. Too young. Besides, Stroman's injury had nothing to do with his arm. Pitchers just don't forget how to pitch, or is this what you're suggesting?

Was he injured all season?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Read the Blue Jays sticky.

Was he injured all season?

If he can pitch, what does it matter if he's been injured? So, let's just assume for a minute that he's perfectly fine, and can pitch as well as he did last year. We should just sit him because he's been injured? Shut him down for next season? You realize what's at stake right?

I'm not going to read the sticky because I don't really care what other people think. Logic and reason is logic and reason.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If he can pitch, what does it matter if he's been injured? So, let's just assume for a minute that he's perfectly fine, and can pitch as well as he did last year. We should just sit him because he's been injured? Shut him down for next season? You realize what's at stake right?

I don't want to shut him down. I'm just tired of people penciling him as the #2 Playoff starter before he's pitched a game. I'm all for easing him in the rotation, but that seems to be the anomaly in the Blue Jays sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad