2015 Training Camp & Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Lol, yeah, they would. Divisions don't mean much anymore. If they were willing to trade in conference they'd be willing to trade in division.

JVR is close to the cheapest best answer for the LW on the Tavares line so perhaps your analysis may be right (it's debatable), JVR fits in there better than Bailey imo.

That's just not true. Divisional rivals don't like to trade with each other, especially when they are recent top 5 picks.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Seen a lot proposals on the board involving a 2016 1st round pick. Listen to me, do not do this at this time of the year. Too early to tell how the season will go down, as this team is really not ready to win the SC yet. Without a solid 1-2 in net and enough depth in D to fill in for injuries, and not yet enough proven consistent secondary goal scoring through out the line-up, especially from the bottom 2 lines, and with the Metro being real tough this year, do not rush to give up away a pick that with a major injury on D or top line, can easily turn into a potential lottery pick. With top prospects like Matthews and Laine plus a few others good ones being available, there is a risk of possible ending up on the losing end of the deal.

Comes January, then the team will be in a better position to assess if they should give up their 1st rounder + prospects to improve the team if the team does really well and is in contention of getting home advantage in the playoff round.

This team is young and the management must be patient. Snow may not get lucky each time to be able to move up and steal a top draft pick. Sooner or later he will run out of assets to make these moves.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Williams still being here does not look good for Halak breing ready.

Maybe when Halak is 100% we send down Williams and Call up Petrov?

Could be they want to just be sure about Jaro's health.

I find it interesting that Williams is here instead of Gibson. Williams has been very impressive.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My guess is Boulton signs and plays about 10 games this year, probably spends a lot of time on "injury reserve" as well

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Williams still being here does not look good for Halak breing ready.

Maybe when Halak is 100% we send down Williams and Call up Petrov?

Could be they want to just be sure about Jaro's health.

I find it interesting that Williams is here instead of Gibson. Williams has been very impressive.

That's what I believe is happening. We'll carry 1 forward until we get the Hickey, Strait, Pulock thing situated or the Halak thing. Whichever comes first.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This would all fix itself if they would ****ing waive Strait

I actually disagree, without defending Strait. :laugh:

The whole roster juggle right now is a bit interesting so I want to see how it plays out. But, our defensive roster is/could be:

Leddy
Boychuk
de Haan
Hamonic
Pulock
Zidicky

If the coaching staff is seeing what we all see, then Strait is that perfect guy that just takes up space in the press box. Get Mayfield and Pelech 20+ minutes a night in the A. How many games did Donovan play in last year?

We can see how Zid plays and go from there. I take absolutely nothing away from a preseason from a 38 year old. He's just going through his motions and rituals. He might suck, but I'll see it in the regular season. Then we can see where we are when Hickey is ready to come back. If there are no injuries, run with 8 D or go with 7 and waive Strait and try and send him down.

Even if Strait is in the pressbox and we want to give someone a spell, we can still call up Mayfield and play him and sit whoever + Strait in the pressbox if we are going with 8 D. How many times did that happen last year between Donovan and Reinhart? Reinhart played 67 pro regular season games last year. Donovan played 12.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
I'm sure Snow and co. ran it by Petrov and his agent first to make sure he doesn't head back to Russia. We panicked because Nelson wasn't signed at the time and signed Bernier. Now that signing turned out being pointless.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Also, Bernier hasn't really looked all that great.

Agreed, Petrov played much better than Bernier. Have no idea why they signed Bernier. Sure he scored a CAREER high 16 goals, but that was with a weak Devil's offense. He's nothing more than a 4th line extra with the Isles. Petrov is definitely a top 9 wing with size and good hands. Also a pretty good skater. Dumb move by the typically dumb management. Reminds me of last season with the obviously better Lee being sent down.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I always thought Pelech was bigger. He looks kinda small on tv.

I don't know, he looked big to me. I think the Isle's management fudges the player's measurements (heights and weights). I think he's probably 6'2" which is how tall he was when he was drafted.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't know, he looked big to me. I think the Isle's management fudges the player's measurements (heights and weights). I think he's probably 6'2" which is how tall he was when he was drafted.

All teams do that and honestly almost all guys do that who are in the 5'8-5'11 range, they are always 2-3 inches taller than they really are if you ask them their height.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Agreed, Petrov played much better than Bernier. Have no idea why they signed Bernier. Sure he scored a CAREER high 16 goals, but that was with a weak Devil's offense. He's nothing more than a 4th line extra with the Isles. Petrov is definitely a top 9 wing with size and good hands. Also a pretty good skater. Dumb move by the typically dumb management. Reminds me of last season with the obviously better Lee being sent down.

It's called depth. Yes, Lee was sent down last year. And? He played himself onto the team, while the veteran played himself off.

Sometimes these moves are designed to get a young player to play harder and better to be rewarded vs. just giving them the spot since there is no competition.

In Isles land even depth or transition players are scolded and same with management. Hilarious.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I'm sure Snow and co. ran it by Petrov and his agent first to make sure he doesn't head back to Russia. We panicked because Nelson wasn't signed at the time and signed Bernier. Now that signing turned out being pointless.

Petrov is on a 1way deal. He's getting paid a NHL salary. He made a career move to attempt to come to NA and if that meant time in the AHL, then it's highly likely this was a possibility. He's not some amazing stud 18yr old generational talent that typically automatically makes the team.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
I believe that Staple recently wrote that Petrov is on a 2 way deal, which pays him $67,500 in the AHL and $870,000 in the NHL. Both are less than what he made in the KHL. He will either be playing for the Isles sooner rather than later this year or he will be back in the KHL next year.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
With all the forwards healthy, they probably decided that it would be better for Petrov to go and take regular shifts in Bridgeport than to sit in the press box in Brooklyn. I think he's had a good camp, but he's not taking a spot away from any of the regulars at this point in time. As soon as there's an injury, he'll be back up.

But...does Petrov understand this?
Is he willing to be a 'big boy' and suck it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad