2015 Training Camp & Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
cant see imbedded tweets.....when does camp officially open? i saw on twitter before that an informal skate was held today

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Some people are having trouble viewing embedded tweets so I will do this old school...

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2h2 hours ago
Among the tidbits from today's #Isles skate: Frans Nielsen says his ankle feels great. Hampered him immensely over final two months last yr.

Nielsen not concerned about entering final year of deal. "I've been here long enough that winning is what matters most. We finally have...

"... The team we always wanted, so this is where I want to be. We'll figure something out I'm sure."

Mikhail Grabovski rested up for most of the summer after suffering two concussions last season. "Maybe I have to be more aware on the ice...

"... It's not a lot of space out there anymore, so I need to change my game a little. You get older, you get smarter, right?"

Cal Clutterbuck has been in town for a while, didn't skate today. Hope to catch up with a few more veterans tomorrow.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h1 hour ago
Been reported a few places previously. former Devil Marek Zidlicky has had contract talks with Isles and they made an offer. No deal yet.

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'd rather the team go with one of Pulock/Mayfield than a washed up one dimensional player, time to see what these kids are made of, especially if they are going to be a 3rd pairing

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Looks like we made an offer to Zidlicky. Anyone remember when Tavares speared him in his happy place? Lol

Someone post the YouTube lol JT was pissed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He exists!

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1h1 hour ago
A very grainy look at new #Isles F Kirill Petrov, on ice before the informal skate.
COd9LnkWsAAgBjQ.jpg

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1h1 hour ago
Calvin de Haan, Anders Lee joining #Isles workout today. Petrov's blue helmet has No. 90 on the back.

Scott Charles ‏@ScottmCharles 57m57 minutes ago
Good to see some #isles back on the ice. @IslesInsight
COeAlyxUcAE-bHl.jpg

Scott Charles ‏@ScottmCharles 47m47 minutes ago
Boulton, Lee. Boychuk, clutterbuck, Grabner, Kulemin, Hickey and some others out there #isles

Scott Charles ‏@ScottmCharles 19m19 minutes ago
#isles playing some 4-on-4 right now.

Scott Charles ‏@ScottmCharles 16m16 minutes ago
Local kid @JSchiavo44 practicing with the #isles again, forgot to mention that earlier. He will be with the Missouri Mavericks this fall

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Garth applying the pressure to Nelson. Between this and Petrov being brought over, Nelson might be forced to budge.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I know this sounds weird, but I would've liked to bring in Brad Boyes instead of Bernier. No knock on Bernier, good PTO and could be a good depth forward, but Boyes would've been a good idea too. Tavares liked him, had a couple solid years, would probably come at a major discount if he were to sign.

Oh well, can't be mad.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I know this sounds weird, but I would've liked to bring in Brad Boyes instead of Bernier. No knock on Bernier, good PTO and could be a good depth forward, but Boyes would've been a good idea too. Tavares liked him, had a couple solid years, would probably come at a major discount if he were to sign.

Oh well, can't be mad.

My only issue with this is where would he play? Bernier can play in the bottom 6 and there's no way I want Boyes in that role.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He scored 16 goals last season. That's a good PTO, and he's right handed.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
10 year vet relegated to a PTO. I think we have too much depth now for it to turn out to be another Conacher playing on the top line to start the season, right?

If he's willing, someone like him in the AHL would be mega depth for this team. The Isles always seem to be hard hit by injuries - we were definitely top-10 (maybe even close to top-5) in man games lost last year despite the success.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
10 year vet relegated to a PTO. I think we have too much depth now for it to turn out to be another Conacher playing on the top line to start the season, right?

If he's willing, someone like him in the AHL would be mega depth for this team. The Isles always seem to be hard hit by injuries - we were definitely top-10 (maybe even close to top-5) in man games lost last year despite the success.

I gotta think... if we are PTOing Devils players from last year, who will suck this year and have the cap space, and no other team wants these players, how much could they be commanding in ice time and salary? I want exactly what you said. This is leverage in the Nelson situation, a plan B should things go sour, and/or ultimate depth for when injuries hit.

I'm sure the Devils want to go with the rebuilding route with more future forward players, but they only have 11 forwards signed over there. Trust us when we say you don't want to throw Zacha and a crapload of rookies/sophomores out there without balancing them with veterans. If the Devils don't want Bernier, and hes not signed this year, he doesn't have much choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad