2015 Training Camp & Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Do you really think Petrov didn't think this scenario was at least possible?

Yes, but the best players should play and not the ones which will save them peanuts.
If Gramatanboy's numbers are correct Petrov makes around $4700 per day in the NHL and less than $400 per day in the AHL. So if they keep Petrov in Bridgeport they save $4300 per day, peanuts.

Sure they could lose Bernier on waivers, but the goal should be to play the best players and try to win the game.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
But...does Petrov understand this?
Is he willing to be a 'big boy' and suck it up?

He's a professional, so I think he knew the risk of this happening when he decided to come over over to the NHL. And if he puts up a stink and heads back to Russia despite being under contract, is it really that big of a loss? It's not like he was going to score 50 goals a year. He looked good in camp, but he's probably a 3rd liner in the NHL.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
But coaches obviously know best, right? They gave A-Mac big minutes so he must be really good.

I kinda feel bad for the guy though. Grossly underpaid for his role on the Isles (even though, yes, he wasn't that good), finally cashes in on those minutes to the point that he's the most grossly overpaid defenseman in the league.

Yes I know, poor rich guy, boo hoo.

BroadwayJay*

But coaches obviously know best, right? They gave A-Mac big minutes so he must be really good.

I kinda feel bad for the guy though. Grossly underpaid for his role on the Isles (even though, yes, he wasn't that good), finally cashes in on those minutes to the point that he's the most grossly overpaid defenseman in the league.

Eh, he's got $25m with which to dry up his tears.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
bernier is this years conacher. Unnecessary from jump street and taking up a key roster spot.

Only slightly different since Conacher was on the 1st line with JT and Bernier is almost guaranteed to be a healthy scratch (knock on wood).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Tokarski on waivers. Plenty of goalies going around, so we should get a good idea of how the Isles feel about Halak's injury.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Only slightly different since Conacher was on the 1st line with JT and Bernier is almost guaranteed to be a healthy scratch (knock on wood).

That's a bit more than just a slight difference! Bernier is merely the 13th forward. If someone goes down, Petrov can be recalled and Bernier can still be the 13th forward.

It came down to roster flexibility, just like last year.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Tokarski on waivers. Plenty of goalies going around, so we should get a good idea of how the Isles feel about Halak's injury.

Please no Tokarski...this guy is terrible (he was last season) and in training camp i hear he was terrible.

Isles fans need to stop this no sense of picking every goalies put on waivers!! theres reason they are on waivers (except for very few exception)

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Let's be fair here...

Before MacDonald's last season with the Isles, he was a fairly valuable player. He was a solid 4-5 d-man. Then he was given unworthy enormous minutes and his flaws were made evident. Can't ignore the good he's done for us for us despite his poor year.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that we're sending Petrov down in order to keep Martin and Cizikas around.

Give me the 12 best forwards we have instead of "role players" any day.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
That's a bit more than just a slight difference! Bernier is merely the 13th forward. If someone goes down, Petrov can be recalled and Bernier can still be the 13th forward.

It came down to roster flexibility, just like last year.

Sorry the ":sarcasm:" wasn't as clear as it could have been.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Please no Tokarski...this guy is terrible (he was last season) and in training camp i hear he was terrible.

Isles fans need to stop this no sense of picking every goalies put on waivers!! theres reason they are on waivers (except for very few exception)

What I'm saying, if you read my post, is that we will get a good idea of the severity of Halak's injury today/tomorrow because a lot of goalies are starting to hit the waiver wire or otherwise become available. If the Isles make a move to get a goaltender, then they feel the injury could parlay into the season.

Clearly Staple also agrees. Improve your reading comprehension, bud.

Jaro Halak is supposed to resume practicing with the team Tuesday, but I'm guessing Monday is an important day to figure out if his nagging upper-body injury is the sort of thing that will last into the season. If it is, the Islanders surely would be looking for an NHL-ready goaltender to team with Thomas Greiss. Stephon Williams has looked good, but I'm not sure he's ready for the possibility of playing NHL games.
Would the Isles gamble on Kings prospect Jean-Francois Berube, who has been an AHL star in a crowded pipeline? Would Snow rather try to swing a trade for one of Calgary's three goaltenders? If there's a move like that coming Monday or Tuesday, you can bet Halak's injury is worse than initially thought.

But if Halak can practice fully this week and be up to speed by next week, then it doesn't appear worth the cost of trying to pick up a goaltender. Not with Williams as Bridgeport's No. 1 and Christopher Gibson in the system now as well.

That second scenario means, of course, that Greiss almost certainly goes back-to-back against the Hawks this weekend. Not ideal to say the least.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...n-islanders-as-preseason-concludes-1.10924722

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that we're sending Petrov down in order to keep Martin and Cizikas around.

Give me the 12 best forwards we have instead of "role players" any day.

Disagree, particularly with Zeeker. His role on the team is significant and I think the majority of other clubs around the league would love to have Casey center their 4th line.

I get we are all excited about Petrov but let him familiarize himself with the NA game/rink a bit more before we plug him right into the top 9.

Andres spent a whopping 5 games in Bridgeport, proved himself and immediately got rewarded with a call-up while netting 25 goals. There is nothing wrong with making guys prove themselves. If he succeeds down there, he'll be up before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad