2015 Training Camp & Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
So if we're not gonna give Mayfield or Pulock a shot on the left side now, what's the plan for next year? Boychuk and Hammer aren't moving, so there's still only the 1 spot on the 3rd line for a RHD.

i think i remember reading that Mayfield and Pulock were paired together last year, so one of them (maybe both?) plays the LH side. maybe they will be our 3rd pairing next year? wouldn't be so bad, provided that both get a decent amount of games this year, and they don't **** the bed

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
latka.gif

Jester, that was the first person I remembered when I saw his picture. :laugh:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Scrivens has a very Snow-esque personality. Would fit well in the Isles' locker room if the injury to Halak is indeed that bad. Also, his wife plays professional hockey for the New York Riveters (based in Brooklyn) of the NWHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lol, yeah, they would. Divisions don't mean much anymore. If they were willing to trade in conference they'd be willing to trade in division.

JVR is close to the cheapest best answer for the LW on the Tavares line so perhaps your analysis may be right (it's debatable), JVR fits in there better than Bailey imo.

I'd classify JvR as a "red-line-and-on" player, just like Okposo (and even Tavares) to an extent. No thanks.

Bailey, Lee, and Strome have better 200 ft. awareness than both JvR and Okposo combined and are all cheaper. JT needs linemates who can do the heavy lifting in the defensive zone and neutral zone while he does the heavy lifting in the offensive zone.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Scrivens has a very Snow-esque personality. Would fit well in the Isles' locker room if the injury to Halak is indeed that bad. Also, his wife plays professional hockey for the New York Riveters (based in Brooklyn) of the NWHL.

Waiving Scrivens means that they're going with Talbot-Nilsson (yeah, Anders Nilsson who played for us) as their goalies. Are the Oilers ever going to learn? They got a coup in getting McDavid, but they're still a gong show. Their forwards are a bunch of misfit toys with the hopes that talent wins out rather than actually building a team. Their defense is still a joke and their goalies are inexperienced and cast offs from the NY teams.

It's about time they get their act together, but I'm not seeing much progress from the sale old crap routine from them.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Waiving Scrivens means that they're going with Talbot-Nilsson (yeah, Anders Nilsson who played for us) as their goalies. Are the Oilers ever going to learn? They got a coup in getting McDavid, but they're still a gong show. Their forwards are a bunch of misfit toys with the hopes that talent wins out rather than actually building a team. Their defense is still a joke and their goalies are inexperienced and cast offs from the NY teams.

It's about time they get their act together, but I'm not seeing much progress from the sale old crap routine from them.

Nilsson has been phenomenal for them (albeit preseason). Remember, he posted superb numbers for Ak Bars (Petrov's alma mater) in the KHL and came back much more refined and healthy.. In my opinion at least, it was always evident that Nilsson had really high potential, but was really young, had a weird deficiency or something that offset his development, and had a absolutely brutal D behind him with both the Sound Tigers and Isles.

Also, PW, you should check out some Oilers tape before trashing them. Their defense is still subpar, but I wouldn't call them a gong show at this point. Chiarelli (even with his brutal trades), has the franchise headed in the right direction. There's also the McDavid effect. I expected more from you because our Isles went through this just a couple of years ago.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nilsson has been phenomenal for them (albeit preseason). Remember, he posted superb numbers for Ak Bars (Petrov's alma mater) in the KHL and came back much more refined and healthy.. In my opinion at least, it was always evident that Nilsson had really high potential, but was really young, had a weird deficiency or something that offset his development, and had a absolutely brutal D behind him with both the Sound Tigers and Isles.

Also, PW, you should check out some Oilers tape before trashing them. Their defense is still subpar, but I wouldn't call them a gong show at this point. Chiarelli (even with his brutal trades), has the franchise headed in the right direction. There's also the McDavid effect. I expected more from you because our Isles went through this just a couple of years ago.

So because I don't drink Oiler Kool-Aid, you're calling me out? What exactly have they shown to change my mind because they've been a gong show forever. Until they show more, I still consider them a mess.

Nilsson couldn't cut it with us, we let him go. It's great he had a strong season in the KHL, that doesn't mean squat now. He has potential, but he's still a major question mark no matter how you slice it. Talbot is also a question mark. So 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL games under their belt are now the answer in goal for them, the place where goalies go to die?

Their defense is still sub par. Sekera was a good acquisition, but he's not a top pair guy yet the fan base expects him to be their lead dog. Schultz is mess in his own end and where is this offensive dynamo?

McDavid is quite a talent, it still doesn't change that they have no identity, no style of game, no discipline. The kids have been running the asylum with Hall as their lead dog. He's a talent, but he's an enigma and NOT a franchise player. Neither is RNH and Yakupov is the worst 1st overall since Stefan.

We've heard excuse after excuse after excuse. The Isles were never as big of a gong show as them, at least there was some sort of plan going on here. They're just trying to retrofit #1 overalls into a non-existent plan. Snow built this team (at a snail's pace), but he built it brick by brick. Comparing their situation to ours is an insult. Maybe superficially it looks similar, but you dig deep and really take a look at the situation... they are nowhere close. Lack of money was our biggest problem, they're problem is sheer ineptitude. Chiarelli ruined the Bruins, I've seen it up here after several years. If it wasn't for Tim Thomas playing Superman, Boston had no business winning a Cup.

It's going to take a lot more to convince me that they're no longer a laughing stock. I actually expect more from you seafoam that you're so easily swayed.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
When draft lottery teams , desperate to upgrade their bluelines, put their top 4 players on waivers, it is a vety goid indicator of just how bad those players are:laugh:.

Nikitan makes $4.5m per, for at least one more yr, maybe two.
Schenn makes about $3.8m this season.
Neither is even a serviceable top 4 at this point.

If the those teams could have found another team desperate enough for D, they would have been dealt.
One recent Flyer article, asked if the Flyers moved Braden Schennn, if they could not have forced the other team to also take Luke Schenn.

I know isles fans hate seeing Strait on the ice for the nyi, but I cannot see the isles dumping Strait's 1 yr/$950,000 deal and adding eitherr Nikitan or L. Schenn's much more expensive contract. They are just not worth those salaries.

And here we have Mr Josh Bailey coming off a 40 point , defensively responsible season...while Schenn slides into mediocrity.

Hamonic selected much later in the same draft, and even Tyler Myers is struggling with consistency.

Martin has settled in to be one of the top forecheckers in the league, leading in hits now (and setting records doing it) the past several seasons.

Now Petrov has come along, making the 2008 draft just the best one in this franchise's history- where sheer numbers of real NHLers are concerned.

Nice to see Snow vindicated.

:handclap:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Waiving Scrivens means that they're going with Talbot-Nilsson (yeah, Anders Nilsson who played for us) their goalies are inexperienced and cast offs from the NY teams.

It's about time they get their act together

Would have been good to have Nilsson last season. Nilsson left because he didn't want a 2way contract again, Snow was just too cheap, instead he signed Johnson for much more. Sure, the goalie performance is never guaranteed, not Snow's fault with signing Johnson. But that Snow was too cheap to send him down to give Johnson some practise was just stupid. Snow called up Poulin for one game when Poulin already played the night before, stupid stupid. But not enough, under Snow Halak became a backup quality goaltender, stupid stupid stupid, and where is Halak now.

It's about time Isles get their act together on the goalie front.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Lol, yeah, they would. Divisions don't mean much anymore. If they were willing to trade in conference they'd be willing to trade in division.

JVR is close to the cheapest best answer for the LW on the Tavares line so perhaps your analysis may be right (it's debatable), JVR fits in there better than Bailey imo.

Do you see the way playoffs work? If anything they mean more. :help:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Who Goes?

With the forward lines filled to the gills with NHL players, I'm thinking Snow will move a forward sooner rather than later to alleviate this huge logjam. When you have Petrov and Bernier and potentially Boulton as extra forwards, that's a pretty good sign to the depth of this team. However, I feel the strong camp Barzal is having coupled with the fact that there is virtually no room in the forward lineups for Bernier and Petrov (let alone Boulton) and in the future for our prospects, is indicative that there may be a trade involving a player or two from the forward corps sometime either really soon as the season soon begins, or shortly into the season a la Moulson. What do you guys think? Who goes if any? Leading candidates for me are KO, Nielsen, and perhaps Clutterbuck.

EDIT: Just saw this tweet

[Tweet]650848803503931393[/Tweet].

Last edited:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Latest cuts. Interesting to see what happens to Petrov. Does he go to the Bridge or bounce back to the KHL?

[Tweet]650848803503931393[/Tweet].

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Can't imagine playing in the AHL is an option for Petrov, who knows like four words in english and has been playing in a top like for 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad