Speculation: 2015 Trade Deadline Thread (Deadline: 3/2 3PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Here comes the "production" comments...:laugh:
e93d8183bb.png

2b35cf7753.png

looks to me like Wiz has been a better all around player despite getting much less ice time

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
So Dregger is saying with $5.5m cap hit for 2 years, not many teams are interested. So now that JK has basically shown his hand, no ones going to pay anything worth value at all. The relationship is poisoned now, doesnt sound like JK gauged the marked very well. If he does get traded, it wont be for very much

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
As a fan with much exposure to both teams, Sekera is much, much better than Wisniewski. Wiz brings more to a powerplay, but everything else goes to Sekera. Sekera handles his top-competition defensive assignments better than Wisniewski handles his weaker assignments, and Sekera has a lot of offensive skill to burn as well.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Sekera is also a UFA.

If teams are interested in Wiz at a $5.5 cap hit for 2 years, then why are they giving d-men who aren't as good higher or similar contracts?

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
So Dregger is saying with $5.5m cap hit for 2 years, not many teams are interested. So now that JK has basically shown his hand, no ones going to pay anything worth value at all. The relationship is poisoned now, doesnt sound like JK gauged the marked very well. If he does get traded, it wont be for very much

I know a lot of fans are frustrated by FO approach to this but I think this is overly pessimistic. Sekera as a UFA just netted a nice return. Media and fans both said the exact same thing when Howson was trying to trade Jeff Carter (to expensive, few teams interested). If they choose to move Wiz, the return will be reasonable. If he isn't in Jarmo's plans and they are going to remodel the D you have to start somewhere.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
looks to me like Wiz has been a better all around player despite getting much less ice time

:laugh: Funny how people see things differently. I look at that same bank of stats and see that Wiz and Sekera are doing about the same.

And then you consider that Wiz gets more offensive zone starts and is somewhat sheltered, while Sekera plays against better competition. Sekera >> Wiz, maybe just one ">".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As a fan with much exposure to both teams, Sekera is much, much better than Wisniewski. Wiz brings more to a powerplay, but everything else goes to Sekera. Sekera handles his top-competition defensive assignments better than Wisniewski handles his weaker assignments, and Sekera has a lot of offensive skill to burn as well.

They seem to have put themselves in a position where they are exposed on the top pairing. I know you have Murphy coming up, but it would seem to be best to have kept him if you could have. Plus Murphy isn't exactly big and he's a right handed shot as is Faulk.

Having said that the Kings did give themselves an option to pair with DD.

thebus2288*

So Dregger is saying with $5.5m cap hit for 2 years, not many teams are interested.

These NHL executives are ignorant!! Right...? :whaaa?:

Sekera is also a UFA.

If teams are interested in Wiz at a $5.5 cap hit for 2 years, then why are they giving d-men who aren't as good higher or similar contracts?

I'm not sure which stage denial is, but, we're there it looks like.

Maybe,.... just maybe the opinions of a "fan favorite" were a little misguided? Maybe his offensive impact or "production" doesn't make up for his cap hit and defensive "issues". Maybe these d-men who "aren't as good", are.

Maybe?? ;)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The honeymoon is over. This is a pivotal off-season for Jarmo. A less than quality performance will tilt many CBJ fans against him.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Sell... sell so that the CBJ can acquire some depth to overcome the injury excuse....

I'm serious, I'm so tired of injury as being the excuse in Columbus for failure I could puke!!!!

Detroit is laughing right now....

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I don't buy that teams aren't interested at that price; it seems like more public posturing, as is standard this time of the year. The going rate for a second-pairing defenseman right about now is in anywhere from $4.5 to $6 mil a year.

Who knows what the motivation is to all of this. If there's a fiery player who's fiercely loyal and dedicated but hasn't been playing well, what better motivation could there be than a healthy scratch and asking for an updated NTC list?

The great Negro League executive and manager Rube Foster used to take aside underperforming players and tell them a story. An old poor farmer had only an old donkey and a young ox to help around the farm. One day the ox woke up and didn't feel like working, so he stayed in his stall all day and slept. The next day he didn't feel like working again, so he stayed behind. When the donkey came back to the barn at the end of the day, he looked at the ox and said, "We got the work done without you, but the farmer talked to the butcher for a little while." The next morning the ox was up before sunrise, ready to go, but the farmer came in, looked at him, and said, "You might as well go back to your stall; the butcher's coming to get you in an hour."

Even the best among us are prone to underperforming. I'm not like Wisniewski from a personality standpoint so stuff like this would make things worse; it may well be exactly what he needs to step up his game as if to prove how badly he wants to stay here.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The honeymoon is over. This is a pivotal off-season for Jarmo. A less than quality performance will tilt many CBJ fans against him.

Jarmo? who is Jarmo anyway? The dude is foreign to North America and Columbus Ohio... The CBJ organization has not improved since bringing in JD or Jarmo.....

Funny how Nashville is the best team in the NHL, with a head coach we could have had....

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo? who is Jarmo anyway? The dude is foreign to North America and Columbus Ohio... The CBJ organization has not improved since bringing in JD or Jarmo.....

Funny how Nashville is the best team in the NHL, with a head coach we could have had....

Our head coach almost takes us from a predicted worst place finish to the playoffs, then takes us to the playoffs and you think Jarmo should have fired him?!?
Gheez, next you're gonna say we should trade Rick Nash! ;)

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Even the best among us are prone to underperforming. I'm not like Wisniewski from a personality standpoint so stuff like this would make things worse; it may well be exactly what he needs to step up his game as if to prove how badly he wants to stay here.
I think you're right on target here. :handclap:
If they can find a taker that will overpay, they'll move him. Otherwise, they're probably hoping it lights a fire.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Our head coach almost takes us from a predicted worst place finish to the playoffs, then takes us to the playoffs and you think Jarmo should have fired him?!?
Gheez, next you're gonna say we should trade Rick Nash! ;)

I did, and the first to say so, the fan scar's on my back prove it....

As of today, the CBJ organization is not much better with JD over Howson and Mike Priest, I could get nasty but won't... This I will say, as good as JD is supposed to be he has been a disappointment since coming to Columbus...

This could be John's last stop in the NHL....

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
They seem to have put themselves in a position where they are exposed on the top pairing. I know you have Murphy coming up, but it would seem to be best to have kept him if you could have. Plus Murphy isn't exactly big and he's a right handed shot as is Faulk.

Having said that the Kings did give themselves an option to pair with DD.

I don't think Sekera wanted to be there. Apparently he was asking 5.5-6 which he's totally worth, but management wasn't for it so they just moved him. Murphy isn't going to be more than a 4-5 PP QB anyway. They should just hope that they get Hanifin or Fleury progresses.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Sell... sell so that the CBJ can acquire some depth to overcome the injury excuse....

I'm serious, I'm so tired of injury as being the excuse in Columbus for failure I could puke!!!!

Detroit is laughing right now....

... why is Detroit laughing exactly? More so or less than the other 28 teams that aren't them or us? Non-sequitor is non-sequitor.

And come on Robert, close to 400 man games lost with still 20+ games left is not something to throw aside. To blame the entire franchise's existence on? Of course not. But injuries have derailed this season quite a bit and nobody can deny that with a straight face.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
... why is Detroit laughing exactly? More so or less than the other 28 teams that aren't them or us? Non-sequitor is non-sequitor.

And come on Robert, close to 400 man games lost with still 20+ games left is not something to throw aside. To blame the entire franchise's existence on? Of course not. But injuries have derailed this season quite a bit and nobody can deny that with a straight face.

Same forum, new bogeyman.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

You're really hitting on all cylinders with the ridiculous blame game and poor comparisons tonight, Robert.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Bruins fan here...Are you guys willing to move Jack Johnson? What would the asking price be if available? Thanks.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'm sorry y'all, it's me bringing the team down. My family hosted a foreign exchange student from the Czech Republic when I was a kid so I'm bringing that European taint to the organ-eye-zation. I should have known that doing that would come back to haunt me 20 years later. Bad Socks family! [/RobertRant]

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Bruins fan here...Are you guys willing to move Jack Johnson? What would the asking price be if available? Thanks.

I suppose he's not untouchable, but I can't see the CBJ really being willing to deal him within the Eastern Conference.

That said, this team needs a highly skilled wing and a shutdown defenseman. Something involving one of those probably starts a conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad