2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I wish i could be like a bear and go into hibernation until october.

Same. This is the beginning to my worst part of the year when I have to binge Netflix shows and I'd rather be watching hockey.

Congrats to the Hawks though. They're a complete team and have some guys on there that completely deserve to win it for a third time. It was awesome to see Timonen go out of the game with his dream achieved. Toews is just such a class act and great captain and Crawford comes through when he has to despite being a streaky goaltender overall.

Hopefully this is the last time for awhile though. I can't stand to see the millions of people in the street cheering while Milbury says "These fans have always supported their team even when they sucked," yet 95% probably didn't know who the team was prior to 2009.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm happy for Versteeg. He was good for us. I don't understand how people are saying he quit on us. He didn't. I think Kevin Dineen and Mike Kitchen also deserve it too. Good for them.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lorida-panthers-news-0225-20150224-story.html

I liked Versteeg when he was here as well.

Although he was floating quite a bit at the end.

Same. This is the beginning to my worst part of the year when I have to binge Netflix shows and I'd rather be watching hockey.

Congrats to the Hawks though. They're a complete team and have some guys on there that completely deserve to win it for a third time. It was awesome to see Timonen go out of the game with his dream achieved. Toews is just such a class act and great captain and Crawford comes through when he has to despite being a streaky goaltender overall.

Hopefully this is the last time for awhile though. I can't stand to see the millions of people in the street cheering while Milbury says "These fans have always supported their team even when they sucked," yet 95% probably didn't know who the team was prior to 2009.

Milbury is an idiot if he thinks that.

Fed up of Toews. He is a great player, but he is still getting way overrated.

Glad Keith won the Smythe. Well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I guess you didn't see a single game he played for us in his last season

Quit or Hurt?

I still like Versteeg, I bought a jersey when he was with the Panthers and Im not ashamed to rock it still.

Won't happen, but would love for him to return to Florida HEALTHY.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Quit or Hurt?

I still like Versteeg, I bought a jersey when he was with the Panthers and Im not ashamed to rock it still.

imo, quit. he wanted out and forced his way out by his lack of effort, floating and lack of finishing. that's my take! :shakehead

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
On Versteeg - I don't think he ever fully recovered from that injury while he was a Panther. When he was healthy, he was a solid top 6 winger for us. One thing I will question is how hard he worked to get back to his pre-injury form...who really knows though.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He's the best player in the world right now. He was always behind the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin. He deserves to be hyped and has deserved everything he's achieved.

No, he really isn't. He's not even the best centre in the world.

Crosby is still better.

This is a perfect example of people overrating him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Quit or Hurt?

Versteeg did quit on the team, most of this board was already tired of his antics after his first season and criticized the contract he was given.

Tallon said something along "if you don't want to be here, you'll get traded" a few weeks before Versteeg was traded and it was directly aimed at him, pretty sure Dineen called him out as well. Versteeg needs a strong group of core players that can keep him in line and focused, simply put the Panthers of 2011-2013 didn't have anyone like that.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Versteeg did quit on the team, most of this board was already tired of his antics after his first season and criticized the contract he was given.

Tallon said something along "if you don't want to be here, you'll get traded" a few weeks before Versteeg was traded and it was directly aimed at him, pretty sure Dineen called him out as well. Versteeg needs a strong group of core players that can keep him in line and focused, simply put the Panthers of 2011-2013 didn't have anyone like that.

Said the same about Bergy, don't think he quit. and until I hear it from Tallon directly, that's just speculation. could have been at Weiss Who wasn't offered anything. who knows really

Dineen and Versteeg look like they got along just fine in.Chicago. no news of drama

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
No, he really isn't. He's not even the best centre in the world.

Crosby is still better.

This is a perfect example of people overrating him.

How many cups has Crosby led his team to? Toews is always where he needs to be and is captain clutch. There is more to the game than stats and Toews is exemplifying why he's the best in everyway.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Said the same about Bergy, don't think he quit. and until I hear it from Tallon directly, that's just speculation. could have been at Weiss Who wasn't offered anything. who knows really
Bergenheim and the Versteeg that we saw play for the Panthers aren't even remotely comparable. Bergy was a heart&soul guy that left everything on the ice, while Versteeg put up his best Patrick Kane act, which he failed at miserably and ended up floating 90% of the time.

Dineen and Versteeg look like they got along just fine in.Chicago. no news of drama
Like I said, Hawks have the core to keep in check with reality. Based on his play as a Panther, he thought he was some big-name superstar or something, when he's really a 3rd liner with some offensive skills. He forgot that when he was handed 1st line minutes here.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Bergenheim and the Versteeg that we saw play for the Panthers aren't even remotely comparable. Bergy was a heart&soul guy that left everything on the ice, while Versteeg put up his best Patrick Kane act, which he failed at miserably and ended up floating 90% of the time.

Like I said, Hawks have the core to keep in check with reality. Based on his play as a Panther, he thought he was some big-name superstar or something, when he's really a 3rd liner with some offensive skills. He forgot that when he was handed 1st line minutes here.

And I just think Versteeg is getting an unfair shake, it's not like he asked to be traded (which, according to Bergy's agent, he did, while he said he didnt so knows).

All the things that Steeger is being called out for, didnt you guys peg Campbell to be guilty of the same exact thing? Coasting, not trying blah blah blah, and he is still a Panther. And I defend Soups as much as anyone on here. I am a big fan of his.

Maybe he floated cause he WAS hurt? Case in point, Bjugstad's last month. He was sloppy, wasnt grinding on the boards, slumping, got close to being crucified on here, then we find out he was hurt.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
How many cups has Crosby led his team to? Toews is always where he needs to be and is captain clutch. There is more to the game than stats and Toews is exemplifying why he's the best in everyway.

Toews has three. Crosby has one.

Oh, this is a team game! Not tennis or golf.

Lol at captain clutch. You're nuts if you think Toews is a better hockey player than Crosby. Oh, and I really don't like Crosby, but he is the best player in the world.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Offensively

Crosby >>>>>>>>Toews

Defensively
Toews>>>>Crosby

Therefore
Crosby>>>>Toews

And I dislike Sid the not a kid anymore.

The difference between the B.Hawks and the Pens IMO besides coaching is:

Toews' defensive core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crosby's

Pretty Much Crosby = Peyton Manning, Toews = Tom Brady

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Quit or Hurt?

Quit. It's not a coincidence he's been scratched during Hawks playoff run this year too. He just floats a lot

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Quit. It's not a coincidence he's been scratched during Hawks playoff run this year too. He just floats a lot

This can ALSO be attributed to him getting hurt.

Kane-Richards-Versteeg was arguably their best offensive line till Versteeg got hurt and he wasn't the same when he came back.

Is it also not a coincidence then that they won with him IN the line-up? set-up the GWG for Game 5 after all.

Vermette got scratched also...Quenneville is notorious for juggling the line-up after a loss.

Im not saying He isnt guilty of these crimes. He absolutely floats. But being a floater does not mean he is a quitter.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Using that logic Bure1096, you must think Justin Williams > Crosby!

Not from a leadership or Captaincy stand-point. If I were starting a team right now, Toews would be my 1OA, and I don't care if you don't like Crosby, all he does is put up numbers in the regular season and then can't perform in the playoffs. Whereas Toews is money throughout.

Toews>Crosby

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
And I just think Versteeg is getting an unfair shake, it's not like he asked to be traded (which, according to Bergy's agent, he did, while he said he didnt so knows).

All the things that Steeger is being called out for, didnt you guys peg Campbell to be guilty of the same exact thing? Coasting, not trying blah blah blah, and he is still a Panther. And I defend Soups as much as anyone on here. I am a big fan of his.

Maybe he floated cause he WAS hurt? Case in point, Bjugstad's last month. He was sloppy, wasnt grinding on the boards, slumping, got close to being crucified on here, then we find out he was hurt.

I attended every home game and watched every away game that year and in my opinion Versteeg quit. He would float and slowly skate to the bench on a line change chewing his mouthpiece.

Campbell floated last year too. When the Panthers had no playoff chance, with the exception of a handful of games, it was easy for the untrained eye to see he was not giving 100%. Still no comparison to Versteeg.

It ticks me off be got his name on the Cup this year.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'll take Toews over Crosby. Strong, elite center, one of the best at faceoffs, great defense, good for about 70pts in an 82 game season, clutch playoff performer, great leader, and gives a good, consistent effort every game. Combine that with his awards (3X Stanley Cup, 1X Conn Smythe, 2X Olympic Gold, 1X Selke, 4X All-Star, etc).

Also, take into consideration that the Penguins have had the Crosby-Malkin 1-2 punch at center. Those two have been regarded as arguably top 5 players in the world with Crosby at #1. The Blackhawks have had the 1-2 punch of Toews and the likes of Dave Bolland (aka Mr. 5.5), Brad Richards (Yeah he got a Conn Smythe...like 11 years ago), and Michael Handzus.

Nothing against Crosby, but I'll take Toews.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003

versteeg wanted out BIG TIME and i don't think he asked for a trade because he wasn't man enough to, although he might have. imo he showed by his actions that he wanted out and forced a trade due to his lack of performance which imo tied tallon's hand in trying to find decent value for him. some of his remarks after the trade were also despicable!

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm taking Crosby over Toews if I had to pick between the two. The Penguins just aren't a good team and have been handicapped by all the money being paid to a few guys. Toews is a fantastic player but the Blackhawks are the best team in a long, long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad