2015 sports poll

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Q9. Who’s the one Canuck veteran you’d happily punt in a second?

48.2% • Chris Higgins
11.5% • Alex Burrows
10.3% • Dan Hamhuis
6.9% • Yannick Weber
6.8% • Radim Vrbata
6.2% • Luca Sbisa
5.2% • someone else
4.0% • Alex Edler
1.0% • Brandon Sutter

How is Sbisa that far down the list?! Higgins has twice as many competitors to split time with and makes less money.

Q32. Which one-off sports tournament/event would you most like to see brought to Vancouver?

35.0% • World Junior Hockey Championship
32.8% • FIFA World Cup

14.7% • Winter Olympics
7.7% • Rugby World Cup
4.3% • President’s Cup
2.6% • Commonwealth Games
2.2% • UFC
0.8% • Pan-Am Games

The fact that a kids' tournament only Canada cares about (and has recently been in Vancouver) beats out the WORLD CUP (I am assuming this is men's this time) is embarrassing, sorry.

This is a little shocking. I thought UFC was pretty mainstream now - especially out in the valley. Do UFC fans not have access to the internet?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is a little shocking. I thought UFC was pretty mainstream now - especially out in the valley. Do UFC fans not have access to the internet?

UFC's popularity has died down a bit in recent years due to a watered down and overexposed product, and due to a large number of their stars either retiring or moving on, or simply being washed up. There's still some good fighters and good fights out there, but Luke Rockhold and Robbie Lawlor don't get people excited like Anderson Silva and GSP did. Plus Vancouver has always been given garbage cards every time UFC has come here.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
One of the questions was if you were offered an all expenses paid vacation to one AHL city, which would you choose? Utica, Chicago, San Diego, St. John's, and Toronto were on the list.

So these are definitely Canuck fans being polled. Its good to know they are passionate enough about the team to consider a trip to Utica, but pretty scary to think about how uninformed they are with the rest of it... FWIW I think we'll be lucky to end up with Tkachuk considering the perfect crap storm with ownership and being in the Pacific. I've seen this movie too many times with this team. They're not winning the lottery. As bad as Benning is as a GM he won't screw up this pick though.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm not confused at all. I understand what his sentence was, but he passed off that only Canada cares about the WJC's as a fact within that sentence. That is what I was contesting.
The fact that I was referring to was indeed that it surpassed the World Cup on this poll. I can't believe I have to spell this out, but "The fact that X beats out Y" is referring to their relative position. I didn't say "It is a fact that X is a certain way, and also the fact that this beat out Y is embarrassing". It would be grammatically wrong for me to type what I did if that's what I was trying to say.

My description of the tournament as small potatoes is obviously (and self-evidently) my opinion.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The WJC is very entertaining tournament. Who cares what level its at? FIFA in Vancouver is a pipe dream anyway.. Besides, the Canucks are on the downturn. May as well invite the best prospects in the world so Benning doesn't have to fly around the world in the middle of the NHL season.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
- No. But it has to happen for the future (paraphrasing) (Canucks season)
- Radim Vrbata (most disappointing)
- Yes, at least for now (keep Willie?)
- Yes, for now (keep Benning?)
- Yes (Linden)
- Show patience (show patience?)
- Baertschi (which young player to trade)
- Tanev (most untouchable)
- Vrbata (who to trade)
- Somewhat Optimistic (after last season)
- Somewhat Optimistic (feel about future)
- 4th (where finish in division) (could be anywhere from 2nd to 7th lol)
- No, just miss (playoffs?)
- Horvat (jersey to buy)
- Yes (buy a jersey)
- Yes (buy Lions jersey?)
- No (Caps jersey?)
- Falling (Canucks stock)
- Falling (Lions stock)
- Rising (Caps stock)
- Canucks (who to see live)
- 8-10 years (when Canucks win cup)
- 2 or 3 years (when Lions win cup)
- 2016 (when Caps win) (honestly have no idea)
- None (who to boo)
- Schneider (which former player to come back)
- Gallagher (which former Giant on Canucks)
- Canucks (team give me most excitement)
- Schneider (who wish as starting G)
- No (trade Sedins?) (though I would add "unless they ask")
- No (should Canucks change jersey) (unless it's a more creative 3rd jersey)
- WJCH (which event come to Van)
- Biega (most games played)
- Puljajrvi (best prospect)
- 600+ (Virtanen career points)
- Montreal (Canadian team win cup first)
- NHL (which sport to watch in Seattle)
- Damien Cox (which analyst to not talk about Canucks) (also all of the above)
- Tanev extension (best Benning move)
- The decision to trade Lack (worst Benning move)
- San Diego (which AHL city to visit)
- Steve Nash (which retirement affected you most)
- No (Camillo back?) (don't know, don't care)
- Yes (big name player for Caps)
- yes (Manneh a star player)
- Yes (Caps compete with small budget)
- Yes (confidence in Robinson)
- Yes (confidence in Caps management)
- Jennings (best newcomer)
- Seahawks (most annoying non-local team)
- Hadwin (fav ind. sport athlete)
- RA (fav place to watch)
- World Cup (event looking forward to)
- Canada (who to cheer for vs. under 23 w/ Horvat and McCann)
- Wally Buono (who to have dinner with)
- Golf (which ind. sport to follow)
- Go to the game (free tickets to BJ's game)
- Chicago (which of CHI, TOR, EDM, CGY to win cup)

Why where there so many questions about the Caps, but none specifically about the Lions?

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Don't get why the world juniors beating out the world cup is embarrassing

I don't care about soccer very much
I love hockey
And the world juniors are a very fun and exciting tournament

People have different opinions than you
It's shocking, I know

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Don't get why the world juniors beating out the world cup is embarrassing

I don't care about soccer very much
I love hockey
And the world juniors are a very fun and exciting tournament

People have different opinions than you
It's shocking, I know

Exactly. No one is doubting that hosting the World Cup would be a bigger deal in a lot of ways. But I would make more of an effort to go to events and be involved with the Juniors than soccer.

But really, part of me just knows it isn't even realistic to include the World Cup, since never in a million years would we host it given our current facilities and standing on the world stage of soccer.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Exactly. No one is doubting that hosting the World Cup would be a bigger deal in a lot of ways. But I would make more of an effort to go to events and be involved with the Juniors than soccer.

But really, part of me just knows it isn't even realistic to include the World Cup, since never in a million years would we host it given our current facilities and standing on the world stage of soccer.

Well if we paid enough we would get the world cup.

After all it's going to Qatar in 2022 right?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The results of the polls, goes to show how much of a minority HF (and and educated fans) is and how big the casual fans are.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
The results of the polls, goes to show how much of a minority HF (and and educated fans) is and how big the casual fans are.

Well it is mostly casual fans that are spending their money and going to games. I dunno why it discredits their opinion, being optimistic doesn't make a person 'wrong'.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Doesn't make them right either.

Didn't say they were right, all I said was that you can't discredit other people's opinions because you disagree with it. What makes someone a real fan? Having an HF account? Having a pessimistic attitude towards everything?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The fact that I was referring to was indeed that it surpassed the World Cup on this poll. I can't believe I have to spell this out, but "The fact that X beats out Y" is referring to their relative position. I didn't say "It is a fact that X is a certain way, and also the fact that this beat out Y is embarrassing". It would be grammatically wrong for me to type what I did if that's what I was trying to say.

My description of the tournament as small potatoes is obviously (and self-evidently) my opinion.

Personally I didn't vote for the World Cup because as cool as it would be I'd think that's little more than a ridiculous pipe dream. A country hosts the World Cup, not a city, and with it's current corrupt state not even the US can get it, never mind Canada. And if we did get it the biggest games would be played in Toronto & Montreal... would we even get any games out here?

We just had the winter Olympics so we're not going to get another one anytime soon. So getting to the World Juniors while much less prestigious it's at least a feasible option.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Didn't say they were right, all I said was that you can't discredit other people's opinions because you disagree with it. What makes someone a real fan? Having an HF account? Having a pessimistic attitude towards everything?

I don't believe I discredited them at all. I simply said how small it makes HF look in comparison, since the majority of this board is anti-Benning.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I'm not confused at all. I understand what his sentence was, but he passed off that only Canada cares about the WJC's as a fact within that sentence. That is what I was contesting.

Yes, but you're arguing his opinion, not the objective fact in that statement.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

I hope you are not equating HF fans = educated fans and casual fans = uneducated fans. And by association, HF fans = hardcore fans (ie. not casual fans).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad