2015 sports poll

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Never said that I'm a fan of his moves, you know what I'm not a fan of is firing a guy after a year and a half. Looks pretty bad firing a guy so soon.

I'm going to be the dissenting voice and agree with you but for a different reason.

It's extremely obvious where JB's passion lies and that's in amateur scouting.

Virtanen is a 3 to 5 year project (based on developmental comparables) but the McCann pick was solid. Getting a solid (albeit on the light side) roster player from a 20 to 25 draft position the season after is no small feat and should be recognized. Boeser is also tracking quite well. This could be luck, this could be skill, it's just too early to be able to make a definitive judgement one way or another.

However!!!!! What also should be objectively recognized is the extreme failure of JB in all other aspects of general management. I won't list them all but suffice to say that a team builder he is most certainly not. There is no doubt in my mind that HFboards collectively could build a better team than JB could considering the wide diversity of hockey knowledge this board has.

As well, pivoting in such an extreme fashion in year 2 of a (assumed) 5 year strategic plan is very bad leadership in ANY industry.

The right business move is to

- immediately take decision making power out of JB's hands
- retain him as director of amateur scouting
- fire Weisbrod
- relegate Linden to VP of being ridiculously good looking
- hire both Gillis and Gilman as consultants and get the two of them working on finding a new GM and president as well as forming our trade deadline strategic plan

IMO, those are the right moves. I don't support putting Gillis back into power because I don't think the fanbase will accept it nor do I think all that highly of his ability to make trades.

But, he IS a much better business man than JB will ever be and I sincerely hope Franky sees this as well.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned.

By far his worst move is overpaying journeymen hockey players, and NTC to non star players. If someone gets a NTC, they should give up serious $.

The team that we are icing should be no where near the salary cap.

Miller -either one year at $6M or 3 years at $4. Massive overpayment.

Sbisa. - at least $1M overpayment per year.

Etc ....

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Q9. Who’s the one Canuck veteran you’d happily punt in a second?

48.2% • Chris Higgins
11.5% • Alex Burrows
10.3% • Dan Hamhuis
6.9% • Yannick Weber
6.8% • Radim Vrbata
6.2% • Luca Sbisa
5.2% • someone else
4.0% • Alex Edler
1.0% • Brandon Sutter

How is Sbisa that far down the list?! Higgins has twice as many competitors to split time with and makes less money.

Q32. Which one-off sports tournament/event would you most like to see brought to Vancouver?

35.0% • World Junior Hockey Championship
32.8% • FIFA World Cup

14.7% • Winter Olympics
7.7% • Rugby World Cup
4.3% • President’s Cup
2.6% • Commonwealth Games
2.2% • UFC
0.8% • Pan-Am Games

The fact that a kids' tournament only Canada cares about (and has recently been in Vancouver) beats out the WORLD CUP (I am assuming this is men's this time) is embarrassing, sorry.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Q32. Which one-off sports tournament/event would you most like to see brought to Vancouver?

32.8% • FIFA World Cup

14.7% • Winter Olympics
7.7% • Rugby World Cup
4.3% • President’s Cup
2.2% • UFC
0.8% • Pan-Am Games

The fact that a kids' tournament only Canada cares about (and has recently been in Vancouver) beats out the WORLD CUP (I am assuming this is men's this time) is embarrassing, sorry.

This might shock you, but Vancouver is located in Canada

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This might shock you, but Vancouver is located in Canada
Yeah, but perspective and relativity. I mean, hockey fans wouldn't choose an intramural tournament over the World Cup. I doubt people would choose a midget tournament over the World Cup. I just find it shocking that the World Juniors are seen as such a big deal when it is just the next step up and not a particularly global event. If a survey in a U.S. community showed people preferring some developmental NASCAR tournament over the World Cup, I'll bet they would be ribbed for it on here.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah, but perspective and relativity. I mean, hockey fans wouldn't choose an intramural tournament over the World Cup. I doubt people would choose a midget tournament over the World Cup. I just find it shocking that the World Juniors are seen as such a big deal when it is just the next step up and not a particularly global event. If a survey in a U.S. community showed people preferring some developmental NASCAR tournament over the World Cup, I'll bet they would be ribbed for it on here.

Personally I would rather see the Olympics again. Not that the world cup isn't great, but would still like to cheer on Canada. Thats what I voted.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I'm a huge fan of the world cup.

But I just do not think Vancouver is a good place to host it. I'd much rather have the WJC.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
No 'All of the above' answer?

Also, the fact that sending Linden Vey to Utica is in consideration for Benning's best move in 2015 is hilarious.

Damian Cox/Steve Simmons are the answers to any "this sportscaster sucks the most" questions.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

48.2% • Chris Higgins
11.5% • Alex Burrows
10.3% • Dan Hamhuis
6.9% • Yannick Weber
6.8% • Radim Vrbata
6.2% • Luca Sbisa
5.2% • someone else
4.0% • Alex Edler
1.0% • Brandon Sutter

How is Sbisa that far down the list?! Higgins has twice as many competitors to split time with and makes less money.

32.8% • FIFA World Cup

14.7% • Winter Olympics
7.7% • Rugby World Cup
4.3% • President’s Cup
2.2% • UFC
0.8% • Pan-Am Games

I voted for Weber because he is terribad right now. Sbisa is also terribad but he did improve like 5% this year, and he sorta kinda hits sometimes.

My second vote was for Higgins, then I would have gone with Bartkowski.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I voted for the firing of Gilman, Crawford and co.

That's a move that has many long term implications as those were the last intelligent men left on our management team.

Lord knows the amount of terrible decisions they mitigated or shot down.

We will suffer many more bad moves from the Benning regime as a result of their levelheadedness no longer being present.

I also voted for this.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
LHALjyn.png

readImage

Yikes, I didn't realize how casual the casuals really were.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Man what a list. That's a lot of blunders in a very short timeframe.

Amazing list, and even then understandable how the horrid Garrison for a 2nd rounder didn't make the cut (never mind the deal that can't be named) ... I know it was about cap space, but figure a sound, semi-physical Dman exited and then Benning overpaid for Miller, who at the negotiating table and his cards showing, should have been dealing from a weak negotiating position...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Never said that I'm a fan of his moves, you know what I'm not a fan of is firing a guy after a year and a half. Looks pretty bad firing a guy so soon.

Gillis had one year of 83-point season hockey and was canned to chants of "fire Gillis".

One can only fathom what happens when this team does whatever the opposite of eclipsing is that feat. When people say stuff like this, I imagine a poor merchant on the street who trades 12 loaves of bread for an apple and then says "It's not so bad. I'm not starving." Not taking into account the future.

That's what we did. We trade loaves of bread for a single apple. It's called asset management, or return on investments. It's what good businessman keep an eye on. It's what we are doing extremely poorly.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, there's a reason why Virtanen got so many criticisms.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Amazing list, and even then understandable how the horrid Garrison for a 2nd rounder didn't make the cut (never mind the deal that can't be named) ... I know it was about cap space, but figure a sound, semi-physical Dman exited and then Benning overpaid for Miller, who at the negotiating table and his cards showing, should have been dealing from a weak negotiating position...
It was only the 2015 calendar year.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Could be people were thinking from the perspective of what they'd like to watch? Nothing against it, but I'm not a soccer guy, if we had the World Cup not sure I'd go (if I did it would just be for the "Been there, done that" t-shirt, but if the WJC came, I'd be fighting for tickets for the Canada/US and Canada/Russia and Canada/Sweden games.

Personally I would rather see the Olympics again. Not that the world cup isn't great, but would still like to cheer on Canada. Thats what I voted.

Loved the Winter Olympics, happily have it back. Not gonna happen (at least not in my lifetime) and Vancouver may be too small for it, but I'd love a Summer Olympics as well.

Yikes, I didn't realize how casual the casuals really were.

Think of the fact that the same voting pool that think Tkachuk is the best prospect also think we shouldn't fire Benning.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Since we are discussing a poll from The Province, can anyone explain me the Goat gate?
Here's my understanding:

The Canucks needed to borrow a goat in the summer of 2014. There are a number of guys out there who are able to lend goats, and a few have had connections to Vancouver. Guys like Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are particularly adept goatlenders, for example.

So new GM Jim Benning looked at who the Canucks had locally for their goat-borrowing needs, and decided that neither Eddie Läck nor Jacob Markström were the goatlenders he needed, even though Eddie's Yelp customer reviews were actually quite good for an enterprise of his age, and Markström had shown some very good farm sense for a while before overextending his operations and slipping down the speed dial list for those with goat-borrowing needs. So Benning flew in his experienced goatlender from his buffalo-herding days, and contracted with Ryan Miller to the sum of some $6 million.

It so turns out that Miller's best days lending goats are behind him. He frequently has the wrong breeds, or only hobbled goats available, and yet Willie Desjardins kept going back to him as the team's main goatlender, no matter how good Läck's herds were looking. With fans clamoring for more Läck-branded goats, the organization decided to dump their business relationship entirely, and sent him to a ranch in North Carolina, and instead gave Markström's goats a try again.

It turns out Markström has greatly improved customer service from prior years, and his goats have generally been top-notch. Given his much better rental price, a lot of fans would again like to see him become the team's primary goatlender. But everyone knows that once Miller gets back from his vacation, the team will go right back to using his hircine wares to fulfill their borrowing needs.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

48.2% • Chris Higgins
11.5% • Alex Burrows
10.3% • Dan Hamhuis
6.9% • Yannick Weber
6.8% • Radim Vrbata
6.2% • Luca Sbisa
5.2% • someone else
4.0% • Alex Edler
1.0% • Brandon Sutter

32.8% • FIFA World Cup

14.7% • Winter Olympics
7.7% • Rugby World Cup
4.3% • President’s Cup
2.2% • UFC
0.8% • Pan-Am Games

That's not a fact. That's an incorrect statement.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wow very concerning poll results. I now know firsthand how the Oilers regime were allowed to get away with absolutely decimating that team. The casual fan just doesn't have the knowledge, or perhaps doesn't care enough, to speak out against complete idiots.

And the fact that most people would prefer an all expenses paid vacation to Utica over Chicago or San Diego makes me very concerned.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
That's not a fact. That's an incorrect statement.

You appear to be confused. Allow me to help:

The fact alluded to in this sentence is that the WJC is more popular than the World Cup in Vancouver. According to the poll, this is fact.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You appear to be confused. Allow me to help:

The fact alluded to in this sentence is that the WJC is more popular than the World Cup in Vancouver. According to the poll, this is fact.

I'm not confused at all. I understand what his sentence was, but he passed off that only Canada cares about the WJC's as a fact within that sentence. That is what I was contesting.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Wow very concerning poll results. I now know firsthand how the Oilers regime were allowed to get away with absolutely decimating that team. The casual fan just doesn't have the knowledge, or perhaps doesn't care enough, to speak out against complete idiots.

And the fact that most people would prefer an all expenses paid vacation to Utica over Chicago or San Diego makes me very concerned.

huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad