2015 sports poll

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
WKVL2XI.png

Ugh...

I also find it funny that they excluded a certain trade. (not going to mention it because it's going to start a 10 page debate)

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hardest question by far for me was if you could kick any vet of the team who would you kick off :laugh:

I was stuck between Sutter (ugly cap hit for a future 4th liner) and Luca Sbisa :laugh:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hardest question by far for me was if you could kick any vet of the team who would you kick off :laugh:

I was stuck between Sutter (ugly cap hit for a future 4th liner) and Luca Sbisa :laugh:
Sutter 4th liner??

You really know your stuff:handclap:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Sutter 4th liner??

You really know your stuff:handclap:

One can argue that he's already there

mDxZ52H.png

Over the past 2 years Sutter has about the same points per 60 rate as Prust. He isn't a very good possession forward, he's a low event player so he doesn't create much offense but he also doesn't allow much.

The guy is almost there, honestly is.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
8deadfb36248103c909b6f15c9297af3.png

No 'All of the above' answer?

Also, the fact that sending Linden Vey to Utica is in consideration for Benning's best move in 2015 is hilarious.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
WKVL2XI.png

Ugh...

I also find it funny that they excluded a certain trade. (not going to mention it because it's going to start a 10 page debate)

:laugh:Typical. Replacement level players coming and going is much to do about nothing. What deal? Kess? You know we won that by any quantifiable measure, right?

With the possible exception of Sutter, who led our forwards in TOI before going down, NONE of the players listed are top 6/4 material or a clear #1, nor were the prospects especially promising, except perhaps Forsling but even he is a long shot. Wake me when he and the rest start doing something--as in above replacement level--for their NHL teams.

Oh, and why the Sven deal even listed? Is the author completely innocent of the odds 2nd rounders face in making the show and how long it takes them to do it?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
you're free to stop talking about it if you think its not worth talking about

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's not that difficult to see the impact Sutter has had on this team. It's better team with him on the ice and he's definitely more than a 4th liner. He's a core 12 player. Generally teams good teams have a core of 12 players. 7 forward 4 d and the number 1 goalie. Sutter is a #7 forward. He's defintely more than a 4th liner. I don't care what your numbers say. The eye test says otherwise.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
It's not that difficult to see the impact Sutter has had on this team. It's better team with him on the ice and he's definitely more than a 4th liner. He's a core 12 player. Generally teams good teams have a core of 12 players. 7 forward 4 d and the number 1 goalie. Sutter is a #7 forward. He's defintely more than a 4th liner. I don't care what your numbers say. The eye test says otherwise.

The beauty of statistics is that it doesn't include bias. All it does is show his effectiveness.

Based on his effectiveness it's not that far off of Richardson

your personal eye test does not agree with your statements.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
:laugh:Typical. Replacement level players coming and going is much to do about nothing. What deal? Kess? You know we won that by any quantifiable measure, right?

With the possible exception of Sutter, who led our forwards in TOI before going down, NONE of the players listed are top 6/4 material or a clear #1, nor were the prospects especially promising, except perhaps Forsling but even he is a long shot. Wake me when he and the rest start doing something--as in above replacement level--for their NHL teams.

Oh, and why the Sven deal even listed? Is the author completely innocent of the odds 2nd rounders face in making the show and how long it takes them to do it?

I could play John Scott in the all star game doesn't make him a all star quality player...

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
The beauty of statistics is that it doesn't include bias. All it does is show his effectiveness.

Based on his effectiveness it's not that far off of Richardson

Richardson isn't a fourth liner either imo. He's a 3rd line center and right now he's being used as the Coyotes #2. It was stupid for the Canucks to not resign him.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Richardson isn't a fourth liner either imo. He's a 3rd line center and right now he's being used as the Coyotes #2. It was stupid for the Canucks to not resign him.

Currently yeah I would generally agree.

Richardson and Sutter are very close on on-ice effectiveness. They are both solid 3rd liners right now. But how long into Sutters contract will he start to decline? He's at his peak right now, and all he is is a solid 3rd liner.

This is why I said he'll be a future 4th liner because I feel like he'll be a 4th liner by the end of his contract.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
WKVL2XI.png

Ugh...

Man what a list. That's a lot of blunders in a very short timeframe.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Man what a list. That's a lot of blunders in a very short timeframe.

You should check out the "What is Benning's best move" question. A few of them are bad moves, more than half are what an average GM with common sense would do, and one is a good move. :laugh:

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Bieksa deal. The Tanev deal was comparable to other deals similar d-men (Brodie, Scandella, etc) got in recent years, it's what was expected.

Fair enough. Too bad he essentially undid the Bieksa deal with the garbage price he paid for Sutter.

Jim "Bleeding Assets" Benning, everybody.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Bieksa deal. The Tanev deal was comparable to other deals similar d-men (Brodie, Scandella, etc) got in recent years, it's what was expected.

Yeah but he kind of still botched the Bieksa deal, first not trading with SJ, then throwing the second away. I put Tanev cause at least he hasnt screwed that up.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Numbers are there because the eye test can be wrong. Eyes can be deceived but numbers don't lie.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yeah but he kind of still botched the Bieksa deal, first not trading with SJ, then throwing the second away. I put Tanev cause at least he hasnt screwed that up.

It's still a good return though, Bieksa was pretty bad, overpaid, old, and an upcoming UFA. You could also argue that he botched the Tanev deal by giving him a bridge deal the year before when everyone in Vancouver knew he was reliable and worth a long term deal.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I voted for the firing of Gilman, Crawford and co.

That's a move that has many long term implications as those were the last intelligent men left on our management team.

Lord knows the amount of terrible decisions they mitigated or shot down.

We will suffer many more bad moves from the Benning regime as a result of their levelheadedness no longer being present.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I voted for the firing of Gilman, Crawford and co.

That's a move that has many long term implications as those were the last intelligent men left on our management team.

Lord knows the amount of terrible decisions they mitigated or shot down.

We will suffer many more bad moves from the Benning regime as a result of their levelheadedness no longer being present.

That was my thinking as well. They had to push Benning to ask for an additional pick in the Kesler trade... :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad