OT: 2015 Redskins Part V: Code Burgundy (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
His arm is average, he just throws a catchall ball. Pegging your WR is actually bad. They haven't been going down field bc they lack deep threats. No one gets separation and when Cousins throws to covered WR and is picked off he gets crushed.

Mentally he's weak, but it's more a case of doing too much and panicking. I don't think he predetermined reads more than any other QB. In fact, he's fairly good at going through them.

I'm surprised it's so negative here. I realize it's a horrible franchise but they are much improved this year.

They're 2-2 with one of those losses coming at home to the worst team in the NFL right now. I will admit, there seems to be change in the air, but I've been sucked in so many times only to have the team implode in a disastrous and embarrassing manner that I'm keeping my guard up this time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, and with the CLE GM texting instructions to the coaches during games, I bet Baby Shanny had flash backs from his last year in DC and clearly wanted no more of that BS. Now he is in ATL with a true NFL franchise QB and a play making WR. He just needs to find a no name RB like Morris to flourish in his running game and ATL might be legit, on offense at least, this year.

I will always root for the Skins to win, but this might be the 1st time I am truly conflicted when it comes to the Skins opponent. I think Baby Shanny got a raw deal in DC and I hope he succeeds, even at the expense of the Skins. LiL Danny ****ed up choosing sides with his BFF QB over the Shanahan's. Griffin in street clothes for 4 weeks and counting is the undisputed proof.

Falcons have two legit home run hitters in the backfield (when healthy)...he's loaded with weapons.

I anxiously await his first heAd coaching gig. Hope he does well. He's got a good football pedigree and mind IMO. LIL Danny did indeed hitch onto the wrong wagon....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't mind Kyle. Is he a little spoiled after being raised by Mike Shanahan? Probably. But, I think he knows football. If I'm not mistaken he was vocally against the McNabb trade. 2012 was mostly his offense. He's making Hankerson in Atlanta into what we thought he was going to be here. His team is 4-0 with Chris Chester and Andy Levitre as the starting OGs.

Subjectively, I can see plenty of reasons not to like him. Objectively, he's a good football coach.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Drama and waves on his own? Talk about a skewed slant. Whatever, not getting into this discussion again. My comment was about Baby Shanny. In regards to him, he made Griffin a dynamic player and ROY. Without Baby Shanny Griffin is modeling Skins gear on the sidelines during games.

You want to heap all of he praise from Griffin's one great year on to Kyle? So it had nothing to do w Griffin's unique talents? (That are now seemingly broken)

How did Kyle do with Redskins QB's not named Griffin? How did he do in Cleveland? You can't in one breadth tell any other poster that they have a slanted view of Kyle, and then throw that gem in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind Kyle. Is he a little spoiled after being raised by Mike Shanahan? Probably. But, I think he knows football. If I'm not mistaken he was vocally against the McNabb trade. 2012 was mostly his offense. He's making Hankerson in Atlanta into what we thought he was going to be here. His team is 4-0 with Chris Chester and Andy Levitre as the starting OGs.

Subjectively, I can see plenty of reasons not to like him. Objectively, he's a good football coach.

I think Kyle's biggest hinderance in DC was that he was a Shanahan. He never had that "threat" of job performance hanging over his head like everyone else does, as he knew his Dad wouldn't fire him. Period. So he acted like he owned the place, which pissed off a few people in the complex. Call it immaturity, call it his real personality, call it whatever you want, but that was a big issue.

To your point, he's a really good football mind, who does well when he has good pieces. I'm not sure he can extrapolate that ability to use w average pieces. His best years have been w very good players....like most coaches. I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's all that great either.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Never understood the hate for Kyle Shannahan. The scheme works and we have a pretty good running game years later to build off of.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Never understood the hate for Kyle Shannahan. The scheme works and we have a pretty good running game years later to build off of.

The hate comes from Rid Simon's points above; he was mostly a spoiled brat when he was here because Daddy was coach and he knew he could do whatever he wanted. That is going to piss some people off 100% of the time. Some folks either chose not to or are incapable of disassociating Kyle, the person, from Kyle, the football coach. Also others probably feel he's a ****** person and a ****** coach who only is where he is because of his last name. It's pretty easy to understand the hate, honestly, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with or buy into it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hate?

Also for the same reason fans tire of every former Tusker and Tampa coach brought here... nepotism

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The hate comes from Rid Simon's points above; he was mostly a spoiled brat when he was here because Daddy was coach and he knew he could do whatever he wanted. That is going to piss some people off 100% of the time. Some folks either chose not to or are incapable of disassociating Kyle, the person, from Kyle, the football coach. Also others probably feel he's a ****** person and a ****** coach who only is where he is because of his last name. It's pretty easy to understand the hate, honestly, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with or buy into it.

Honestly I think that's just the angry fan's position. Does Mike Shanahan seem like the spoiling kind of father? Seems to me he's more likely a hard ass father ala The Great Santini.

Sure his dad's job allowed him a direct line to the NFL that most don't get, but he seems like a sound football mind and he certainly has spent his whole life being groomed as an NFL coach.

I understand there will always be haters, but like you say, I don't buy into it. And I'm no Shanahan fan. I thought both father and son always came across kind of jerk'ish in the personality dept.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hate?

Also for the same reason fans tire of every former Tusker and Tampa coach brought here... nepotism

You don't really believe he was gifted every NFL job and subsequent promotion because of his Dad do you? I see the nepotism issue that some get hung up on because it pushed him into the NFL early, but his resume indicates a capable coach. He certainly isn't getting a head coach spot on "hey I knew your daddy"....he'll have earned it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Honestly I think that's just the angry fan's position. Does Mike Shanahan seem like the spoiling kind of father? Seems to me he's more likely a hard ass father ala The Great Santini.

Sure his dad's job allowed him a direct line to the NFL that most don't get, but he seems like a sound football mind and he certainly has spent his whole life being groomed as an NFL coach.

I understand there will always be haters, but like you say, I don't buy into it. And I'm no Shanahan fan. I thought both father and son always came across kind of jerk'ish in the personality dept.

This is not an angry fan position, fyi. It came from Redskins Park.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375961/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seriously, the whitewashing and revisionist history of the Shanahans is absurd. Look at any article from the time, and you'll see why Kyle was fired. Kyle was at the heart of the problems of that team. Even in Cleveland last year, you saw similar reports of "friction" between Kyle and other members of the coaching staff. Just because RGIII didn't magically bounce back into pre-injury form after Kyle and his Dad left doesn't mean that Kyle is somehow absolved. The guy may have football smarts, but that doesn't make him a good coach if he can't work with anyone.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

What you "buy into", isn't really relevant. There are articles from the time that discuss it quite a bit. Kyle created his own issues within the complex, by his actions. It is what it is.

Most of us aren't angry fans, not sure who that's targeted for. I for one am happy in the direction of the team, and like what the GM is doing.

I also don't have an ax to grind with either Shanahan, and if you read by recent posts on Kyle, I have been very fair to him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You don't really believe he was gifted every NFL job and subsequent promotion because of his Dad do you? I see the nepotism issue that some get hung up on because it pushed him into the NFL early, but his resume indicates a capable coach. He certainly isn't getting a head coach spot on "hey I knew your daddy"....he'll have earned it.

It seems the NFL is the good friends network. Once you are in the door, you can almost always find a job. Much like corporate life in America.

Yes, I think he got his foot in the door into the NFL because of his father and his last name. One of the youngest OCs ever. His experience before landing an NFL job? 1 year as a graduate assistant.

All of his promotions happened under the guidance of one Gary Kubiak. Dad's crony.

I wonder why Kyle a widely accepted great OC, cannot stay in a job for more than a few years, nor win a damn playoff game. I would like think he has developed a few good QBs to have such a sterling rep, but I don't think he has a single one.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hate?

Kyle made his own reputation in Houston before he got here. He's a good OC.

Now Jay Gruden, who I like, was a crony hire.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kyle had a great back and WR, and TE IIRC in Houston, which goes a long ways to a good offense. I cannot remember the QB though.

Should I release Jordan outright from my fantasy?

Or, release Matt Jones.

Sigh.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kyle had a great back and WR, and TE IIRC in Houston, which goes a long ways to a good offense. I cannot remember the QB though.

Schaub, who has stunk in recent years and is now backup to Flacco in b-more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad