OT: 2015 Redskins Part V: Code Burgundy (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Cousins doesn't have the arm and it's been said numerous times. Mentally he's good except his pre determined reads. If Kirk had Robert's arm we would have Flacco in DC.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
His arm is more than good enough to run the west coast offense. And he's hit Jackson in stride a couple times. What's between his ears is the only issue with him, IMO.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I haven't heard much talk about this anywhere so maybe I missed it, but does it say anything that Cousins put together a very nice game vs Philly despite a young and banged-up O-line?

Going back at least to Jason Campbell we've had excuses made for recent QBs not being able to get the ball out (and I admit I was guilty of it when RG3 was starting to struggle and seemingly under pressure more often).

Is it too early to read into that, regarding past QBs and what Cousins might be capable of? I doubt there was much of a way to shield him with 2 young guys on the right side and injuries the other way (and Williams with a bad penalty or two, iirc).

4 sacks given up in 4 games. That's with a rookie and 2nd year player for 3 games and rookie and 2 2nd year players on Sunday. Callahan has made a difference, and Scherff and Moses are upgrades, but Cousins plays a big part. Gruden runs the west coast offense and that is short timing passes, getting the ball out quick. Like a passing version of a running game. It helps the line to get the ball out quick, but you need a QB that knows what he is doing. Cousins does and Sunday was maybe his best game running that offense. Add the threat of Jackson and the Skins could be on to something so long as Cousins keeps improving.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

i never really pay attention to these as its mostly all opinion but espn has kansas city (1-3) at 18 baltimore (1-3) at 19 oakland (2-2) at 20, new orleans (1-3) at 21, eagles (1-3) at 22, titans at 23 and skins at 24

i just dont get it, but no big deal

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cousins doesn't have the arm and it's been said numerous times. Mentally he's good except his pre determined reads. If Kirk had Robert's arm we would have Flacco in DC.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Both the coaches and Kirk have publicly stated that he's mentally weak and it's his biggest weakness as a QB. Kirk even said he sought treatment to become mentally stronger during the off-season. Last week may have gone a long way in fixing his tendency to fold like a tent when things get tough but it's far from a foregone conclusion at this point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Meh. I... Seems the Browns offense is doing just fine without him.

And I may add the Skins offense did just fine without Kyle.

Despite a revolving door of pathetic QBs, the Skins offense in 14 was statistically, middle of the pact. That despite a noob head coach, and largely no support cast at all, except his ex Tusker TE coach he promoted to OC.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Mentally weak is a bit much, unless you have quotes from Gruden and Cousins saying those exact words.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mentally weak is a bit much, unless you have quotes from Gruden and Cousins saying those exact words.

I don't think that exact term needs to come to us on Redskins letterhead to make the obvious conclusion that Kirk was not mentally "strong" in a sports psychology sense. It's been publicized that he sought help for it, and the press has talked about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ebd3a2-588f-11e5-8bb1-b488d231bba2_story.html

His own words in this article were that he wasn't getting the job done and cared deeply so it was eating at him. "Weak" or not, it's pretty clear performance anxiety and in sports psychology that requires some pretty serious changes. Holding up under pressure is a big challenge and some guys just can't do it. At a certain level in most pro sports it's probably 90% of the battle.

Also in February, he ramped up his training with Neurocore, which he had begun his senior season at Michigan State.

Neurocore was founded roughly 10 years ago to help children with attention-deficit disorders through “neurofeedback” rather than medication and expanded to applications for people with sleep and anxiety disorders as well as elite athletes. Its brain-training system starts with electroencephalograms to measure the electrical activity in the brain. If the data suggests the brain is running faster or slower than is ideal, conditioning exercises are developed to help train the brain to run at what Tim Royer, the company’s founder, describes as “a sweet spot.”

According to Royer, Cousins’s data revealed that his brain was running faster than it should, relying on adrenaline much of the time. Readings of his cardiovascular system and respiratory system suggested a similar, over-stimulated condition that Royer likened to “somebody running from a lion.”

That's basically a state of anxiety/panic because your parasympathetic nervous system isn't working properly. It leads to bad decisions, poor motor skills, and essentially choking.

It's not a personal insult against him and he's seeking help for it. Based on what I'm reading I think he has ADD and in pressure situations his brain starts racing. He's working on learning how to feel himself come out of that so he can all on it when the real pressure situations arise.

Let's hope last Sunday was an indication that it's working.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Couldn't be further from the truth. Both the coaches and Kirk have publicly stated that he's mentally weak and it's his biggest weakness as a QB. Kirk even said he sought treatment to become mentally stronger during the off-season. Last week may have gone a long way in fixing his tendency to fold like a tent when things get tough but it's far from a foregone conclusion at this point.

I should've clarified with mental grasp of the offense. His problems seem to be mostly from inexperience. Composure,game management and command of the huddle will come by the week.

His arm though....if he hesitates on a throw or tries adlibbing something on the move its absolute weak sauce. Bunch of you guys went to the game Sunday. One thing I noticed from the nosebleeds,Skins play single high safety and he's like 20 some yards off the ball. Reacted well at times,but not even close to being instinctive or fast enough. The opposing teams secondary is aggressive,in the box and the outside corners bite a ton. Reed gets a linebacker nearly every play because the safety's are usually sitting and waiting on any intermediate route. The team has done a good job given its limited weapons. Garçon is tough as nails but the Redskins need another reliable big target to dominate the middle since Reed is typically injured.

The play calling isn't doing him any favors on the stat sheet as far as points go. We get goal line and short yardage situations and it's always power game. That Fullback handoff isn't working and it hasn't in a good while. They never put the ball in his hands on a second down at least. I know he got the TD on the winning drive this week but only because they had to have the points. I'd at least like to see them spread it out and run it with Jones. Very conservative.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
His arm is more than good enough to run the west coast offense. And he's hit Jackson in stride a couple times. What's between his ears is the only issue with him, IMO.

Trust me I'm liking it more because he has touch on his throws than say someone like Campbell who seemed like he could only drill guys in the chest over the middle.

Kirks throws that are to the sidelines when he's not at the top of west coast drop worry me. His deep throws IMO are not great because it's just not really his game going over the top.

I think he will become a slightly above average QB provided he gets the support and keeps the job.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
fwiw, as expected the local media are in full "win the division" bandwagon mode. The guys on 980 Sports Fix were all over it, and Adam Schefter (sp) agreed it was really down to the Skins and Giants. After 4 games.

LOL

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
fwiw, as expected the local media are in full "win the division" bandwagon mode. The guys on 980 Sports Fix were all over it, and Adam Schefter (sp) agreed it was really down to the Skins and Giants. After 4 games.

LOL

Meanwhile I'm still holding strong to my 3-13 prediction.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
So happy that I was able to truly quit caring about the Skins a decade ago. If they ever don't suck, I might watch, but meh.

They're actually somewhat fun to watch right now. Tons of young talent. If Dan keeps letting Scott do his thing for a couple of years, they're going to be loaded.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

His arm is average, he just throws a catchall ball. Pegging your WR is actually bad. They haven't been going down field bc they lack deep threats. No one gets separation and when Cousins throws to covered WR and is picked off he gets crushed.

Mentally he's weak, but it's more a case of doing too much and panicking. I don't think he predetermined reads more than any other QB. In fact, he's fairly good at going through them.

I'm surprised it's so negative here. I realize it's a horrible franchise but they are much improved this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad