OT: 2015 Redskins Part I: Building America's Football Capital (0-0-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Besides the Scherff pick, I don't think it can be stated just how important Bill Callahan is going to be with regards to making the offensive line better. I expect that Scherff, Morgan Moses and Spencer Long will really benefit under his tutelage. I expect a completely different and a scary physical offensive line in Washington.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Broncos took Shane Ray at #23.

Now he doesn't have to worry about testing positive for weed....oh wait.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Round 2:

1. Titans
2. Bucs
3. Raiders
4. Jags
5. Jets
6. Skins

When did the NFL re-shuffle the draft order for the 2nd round, and why?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
UnrealisticPastCollardlizard.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Can't be upset at Scherff pick. Best Skins teams of all time were always about the O-Line. Skins simply couldn't afford to "miss" at 5, and I'd say Scherff was as safe as they come.

Now I'd go after any of Gregory or one of the Collins'. Goldman, Abdullah, etc etc.

Lots to chose from. Gregory could be a freaking steal. But I'd be super pumped at Landon Collins too

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Every LT at any level has been beaten like that. **** happens.

Also, its interesting that the site you got that clip from has Scherff graded higher at draft time then they graded Trent Williams.

Scherff: 8.3 Grade
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brandon-scherff/#player-report

Brandon Scherff might not be the sexiest pick in this year’s class, but he’s one of the safest. He’s a plug and play tackle from Day 1 who has a low risk to “bust.” In the event he can’t keep up with NFL speed to the edge, slide him inside and enjoy his pro bowl performances at guard.

Williams: 7.26 Grade
http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-trent-williams/

If Williams could somehow come into the league and play right tackle for a year or two and further develop his game, he could be one of the best in the business. While playing right tackle at Oklahoma, he absolutely dominated the competition. When he switched to the left side, he did a very good job but still showed a lot of room for improvement. However, Williams has shown improvement in every game since starting to play left tackle and his upside is unlimited. I would not be surprised at all if Williams is the taken as a top 5 pick in the draft as his versatility to play both sides of the line gives him a slight edge over some of the other top offensive tackle prospects.

Good thing Scherff will be playing RT. ;)

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I'm gonna go ahead and vote for Scherff or Cooper at five or trade down. I like some of those edge rushers but I feel like a couple of them are gonna be misses and we need a sure thing anywhere we can get it and I just get the sense that Scherff and Cooper are destined to be very good pros.

Won't be mad at a Fowler or Ray type player but I think two of the top four edge guys are gonna bust...

Not to to my own horn...

...just kidding I'm gonna annoyingly toot my own horn.

Also, I didn't fathom Williams being there. I absolutely love Scherff as a pick but I'm not sold on passing on Williams. Seems like the kind of player that comes around far less often than a guy like Scherff. However, I will add that every mock draft with Scherff at 9 to Giants made me furious because it's the classic Giants pick and then we watch a guy like that road-grade us for a decade. You know you're happy with a guy when the idea of him on a rival team makes you irate...

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Every LT at any level has been beaten like that. **** happens.

Also, its interesting that the site you got that clip from has Scherff graded higher at draft time then they graded Trent Williams.

Scherff: 8.3 Grade
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brandon-scherff/#player-report

Williams: 7.26 Grade
http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-trent-williams/

Good thing Scherff will be playing RT. ;)

I'm sorry, but he's not a tackle at all. The consensus is he'll be a guard at one point or another. They can try him at RT and hope he sticks, but I don't see it. I think he'll be a great guard, too bad they used #5 for that.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I'm sorry, but he's not a tackle at all. The consensus is he'll be a guard at one point or another. They can try him at RT and hope he sticks, but I don't see it. I think he'll be a great guard, too bad they used #5 for that.

All the draft grades I read on him mentioned moving him to guard if he doesn't stick at tackle, but all had him going in the top 20, at least, in the draft. Thats pretty high for a guard.

Regardless, he was taken #5. He better be a solid NFL RT on opening day.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not to to my own horn...

...just kidding I'm gonna annoyingly toot my own horn.

Also, I didn't fathom Williams being there. I absolutely love Scherff as a pick but I'm not sold on passing on Williams. Seems like the kind of player that comes around far less often than a guy like Scherff. However, I will add that every mock draft with Scherff at 9 to Giants made me furious because it's the classic Giants pick and then we watch a guy like that road-grade us for a decade. You know you're happy with a guy when the idea of him on a rival team makes you irate...

Bolded exactly how I felt.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Round 2:

1. Titans
2. Bucs
3. Raiders
4. Jags
5. Jets
6. Skins

When did the NFL re-shuffle the draft order for the 2nd round, and why?

They seem to be rotating teams with identical records. Washington will pick 5th in the 3rd, 6th in the 4th, etc........

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

Quick, name the last Pro Bowl Guard on the Redskins...

...if his floor is paving a highway next to Silverback for RB's to run through you're gonna be regretting this sentiment. We're so used to plugs on the inside of a line that we've apparently totally forgotten what it looks like to work behind the best in the business.

Nasty OL with game are solid gold in my book. Doesn't matter where or how you find them. Go out there and get more like this one please...

If this guy doesn't work draft another one in the first round next year for all I care...so sick of soft Washington teams. Let's start pushing people around for a change...literally.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Williams was consensus best overall player regardless of position. Is it a crime if Scott targeted a position of need just a little bit? While us fans argue what best means :laugh: It sure seems the 4 GMs in front of us drafted need as much as anything. Whispers he had a bum shoulder changed little, and he went at 6.

"The Sheriff" is likely not nasty at least not that you will easily see. He won't flip a switch 4 years from now like MJ. He is a corn fed OL projected by most at G. Not a sexy pick by any stretch but our OL was atrocious and getting a grader for RG3 was more imperative than going after the next potential Sapp.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard an OL was nasty, and a dollar for everytime everyone assumed it was a desired positive trait, I would have money.

I want my linemen skilled smart and durable. Nasty just leads to misconducts. See Trent. LeRib was nasty too. I rest my case.

I am fine with the pick but am amused when anyone rushes to defend it was OUR BPA yet ignores it could well have also been influenced by need. Ignoring expert consensus and offering no evidence whatsoever.

And that is a desperate, obvious need - OL. Coupled with targeting the D early in free agency, a case could be made Scott factored needs.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The best thing for RGIII is a competent OL and a great running game. He's at his best during play action and bootlegs where he's a dual threat. Our guards were the worst in football last year. If he can bookend Trent or become Logan Mankins you can't complain about the pick (even though I did).

We saw what happened to Dallas when they controlled the clock by controlling the LOS, limited opposition possessions, and stopped asking Romo to throw 50 times a game. Let's see how the Redskins do with this philosophy.

Sep 19, 2008
Good deal. Didn't know why we were so keen on drafting defensive talent in the mocks. We have a fine front 7 and the free agency addressed issues. Leonard Williams would have helped but we needed offensive line talent more. Our secondary is the bad aspect of the defense...not the front 7. And there wasn't really anyone BPA who was secondary at that time.

Scheff addresses weak O-Line issue and can be groomed to be the next star. With a wall in front of him RG3 or whoever strikes Gruden's fancy can actually drop back and pass without running for his life

Also addressed above but Callahan did a great job working with Dallas offensive line and turning a once putrid line into one that was acceptable and protected Romo well. I'm very excited because we're going to have an offensive line now that belong in the NFL instead of pee wee football.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I wanted a trade back so I won't defend this pick, but I will take McClou and Gruden at their word when they said prior to, and after, the draft they would take/took the best player available. McClou also said this prior to the draft about taking an O-lineman:

“We’re talking 320-plus [pounds] hopefully, coming off, head-butting and going. We want to be able to run the football, it’s very important. It sets up everything else for us.”

From what I read so far McClou described Scherff on Monday without saying his name. Keim said the Skins had Fowler ranked #1, and would of taken him at 5, but when he was gone they went to their #2, Scherff. At this point I can't see a reason to doubt McClou's word.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

This is actually not a good GIF to make your point, Scherff initially was going to take the outside guy and suddenly had to shift in, so he was off balance from the get-go. That can happen to anyone. We did that against the Cowboys last season, and we know how good their o-line is and how bad our d-line was. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad