OT: 2015 Redskins Part I: Building America's Football Capital (0-0-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Plenty of credible people have suggested they fear taking him number one overall.

So yeah...there is bust potential. Might not be on the field related bust....but overall bust as a human.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Scherff was who they viewed as the BPA, they could have traded back to take him. It's a ridiculous pick, especially with Williams on the board.

Easy to type but they needed a buyer and there wasn't one clearly who would leave them with the assets and draft position they wanted.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Plenty of credible people have suggested they fear taking him number one overall.

So yeah...there is bust potential. Might not be on the field related bust....but overall bust as a human.

None have said he's a bust waiting to happen. It's a haters statement period.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Potential for problems then realizing those problems would indeed = Bust

As long as he grows the **** up....he can get away from realizing it.

Taking pictures like that....****. I wouldnt feel great being a fan of that team.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If Scherff was who they viewed as the BPA, they could have traded back to take him. It's a ridiculous pick, especially with Williams on the board.

Trade back how much though? He wouldn't have lasted past the Giants who took Flowers.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The dark side, anger and hate clearly clouding your judgement. BUST is laughable. Not one credible person has suggested BUST. Just say you dislike the kid and want him to fail. It'd be more honest at least.

Actually, FBO on ESPN project there to be a 60% chance of Winston busting. They're pretty credible.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...tem-thinks-jameis-winston-bust-2015-nfl-draft

Predicted And Actual Performance For No. 1 Overall Picks
PLAYER PREDICTED DYAR IN YRS 3-5 ACTUAL DYAR IN YRS 3-5
Carson Palmer 2,266 2,268
Peyton Manning 1,463 3,922
Matthew Staffod 1,125 3,021
Andrew Luck 1,076 879 (Yr 3 only)
Eli Manning 892 1,179
Cam Newton 781 316 (Yrs 3-4 only)
Alex Smith 771 -763
Sam Bradford 617 692
JaMarcus Russell 535 -834
Tim Couch 428 -366
Jameis Winston 378 *
David Carr 365 -215
Michael Vick -446 -518
Note: Passing DYAR only, does not incorporate rushing value.

Also, this is based on on-the-field stuff only, add in Winston's off the field stuff, and yikes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Potential for problems then realizing those problems would indeed = Bust

As long as he grows the **** up....he can get away from realizing it.

Taking pictures like that....****. I wouldnt feel great being a fan of that team.

Why because some fan who works at a grocery store gave him some crab legs? The hate for the kid is out of control. He's got elite ability. As long as he matures, he's a franchise player IMO. He's barely 21.

I love the attitude to throw it in your critics face. I only hope he proves it on the field.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Actually, FBO on ESPN project there to be a 60% chance of Winston busting. They're pretty credible.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...tem-thinks-jameis-winston-bust-2015-nfl-draft

Also, this is based on on-the-field stuff only, add in Winston's off the field stuff, and yikes.

Chance of busting doesn't equal "he's a bust". I could throw together some funny math too.

He's one of the highest rated QB's in terms of talent in what, 20 years?

Sam Bradford and Jamarcus Russell are ahead of him on that list, Total credibility loss.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Easy to type but they needed a buyer and there wasn't one clearly who would leave them with the assets and draft position they wanted.

That, and the Giants took the Flowers kid at 9 so if they couldn't trade back before the Giants at 9 they weren't getting Scherff.

Not exactly thrilled at Scherff at 5, but I am not exactly pissed either. O-line has been talked about as a need on this site for a while now, and McClou made it clear monday O-line was a priority. Fowler Jr. was their #1 and when he was gone they took their #2.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The dark side, anger and hate clearly clouding your judgement. BUST is laughable. Not one credible person has suggested BUST. Just say you dislike the kid and want him to fail. It'd be more honest at least.

I dislike the kid, sure. But I also dislike Tom Brady. Don't think he'll fail.

Winston has terrible off-field character concerns and makes poor decisions on the field. His 18 INTs this season are indicative of that. He lost his jump ball release in Kelvin Benjamin and some of his line full of All-Americans and couldn't compensate.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
1233086450519127875.jpg

I have no idea if this kid will bust on the field, but this picture is a dick move plain and simple. It also says the kid doesn't get it in regards to acting like a professional in one of the highest profile professions in this country.

And those digital clock numbers on that jersey, God awful.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Chance of busting doesn't equal "he's a bust". I could throw together some funny math too.

He's one of the highest rated QB's in terms of talent in what, 20 years?

Sam Bradford and Jamarcus Russell are ahead of him on that list, Total credibility loss.

Those are all of the QBs who have been picked number 1 overall in the last 20 years based on advanced metrics. Winston would have to have graded out roughly 3 times higher than he does to be worthy of the number 1 overall pick. They grade him out to have a 3% chance to end up in the Manning/Luck class. For Comparison's sake, both Hundley and Marriota grade out over 10% chance of elite status. And again, this is all assuming off the field stuff doesn't get in the way.

You can't say everyone who doesn't think he was worth the #1 are just haters, anymore than we can say you're just a fanboy.

I wouldn't have taken him, that's for sure.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Why because some fan who works at a grocery store gave him some crab legs? The hate for the kid is out of control. He's got elite ability. As long as he matures, he's a franchise player IMO. He's barely 21.

I love the attitude to throw it in your critics face. I only hope he proves it on the field.

Yeah, the off-field concerns are only about the crab legs thing. Not the **** allegations (which he also made light of). Not the refusal to attend a code of conduct hearing. Not the other strings of incidents (Pellet gun "battle" that caused thousands of dollars in property damage, swiping a soda from a Burger King, etc.) that indicate he thinks he's above reproach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Those are all of the QBs who have been picked number 1 overall in the last 20 years based on advanced metrics. Winston would have to have graded out roughly 3 times higher than he does to be worthy of the number 1 overall pick. They grade him out to have a 3% chance to end up in the Manning/Luck class. For Comparison's sake, both Hundley and Marriota grade out over 10% chance of elite status. And again, this is all assuming off the field stuff doesn't get in the way.

You can't say everyone who doesn't think he was worth the #1 are just haters, anymore than we can say you're just a fanboy.

I wouldn't have taken him, that's for sure.

This same system of funny math (DYAR) predicted John Beck and Byron Leftwich to be top 10 NFL QBs in years 3-5. That says enough to me.

If you want to argue you wouldn't have taken him #1, that's fine, legit argument. We're talking about him being a BUST or not.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the off-field concerns are only about the crab legs thing. Not the **** allegations (which he also made light of). Not the refusal to attend a code of conduct hearing. Not the other strings of incidents (Pellet gun "battle" that caused thousands of dollars in property damage, swiping a soda from a Burger King, etc.) that indicate he thinks he's above reproach.

I must have missed him cracking sexual assault jokes....:shakehead....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bill Polian said he wouldn't have take him #1...and he's a guy that has made that kinda decision before.

I love Polian, but this isn't exactly a damning statement from him.

"Very, very close. But I'd probably lean toward Mariota, as I said. It's closer than Manning-Leaf was. Way closer," Polian said. "More like (Kerry) Collins-(Steve) McNair in '95. With Mariota, I don't think playing from the pocket will be an issue; he did a lot of that in the eight or nine games I saw. And he didn't throw 18 interceptions, either. On 14 of (Winston's) 18 interceptions, Winston didn't see linebackers underneath or he zeroed in on the receiver regardless of coverage."

Packers GM Ron Wolf from same article:

... I watched Winston versus Miami before the game, down on the field, and then will his team back from a 16-point deficit," Wolf said. "He's an imposing guy. He has everything you'd want in a quarterback. I thought he was superb. What I know about Winston I like a lot. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
What sentiment? I'm not terribly upset at drafting an olinemen, but they're is zero value taking a guy projected to be a guard at #5. They'll try him at RT and I guess that's the end of the Morgan Moses/Tom Compton experiment there.

Here you go:

DarkDeliriousAfricanjacana.gif

The dude is not a tackle. His knock is he's very slow to mirror speed rushers, has short arms, and does not possess nimble feet. He's a mauler that's a guard.

Again, this is why scouts do not look at one play and make a decision. You have no idea whether the QB was too deep in the pocket and Scherff was intentionally doing that. Linemen do that all the time, where they let the rusher go wide and deep, past the QB. Again, I have full faith that GMSM has seen a lot more film and has a lot better handle on what he can and cannot do than you. Until he proves otherwise

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Again, this is why scouts do not look at one play and make a decision. You have no idea whether the QB was too deep in the pocket and Scherff was intentionally doing that. Linemen do that all the time, where they let the rusher go wide and deep, past the QB. Again, I have full faith that GMSM has seen a lot more film and has a lot better handle on what he can and cannot do than you. Until he proves otherwise

Again, it's not just one play, but in the play the rusher is driving him back with one arm, it's not an Orakpo situation where the linemen easily pushes him wide.

I have faith in GMSM, but it doesn't mean you have to blindly agree with him. I view Scherff as a great guard, but at #5 that isn't great value. they see him as a RT we'll see.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
eagles offer to the titans for the #2 pick rejected by the titans:

the more included below but overall offer was:
Two first-round picks
One third-round pick
Fletcher Cox, the team's best defensive player
Brandon Boykin, nickel corner
Sam Bradford, starting quarterback
Mychal Kendricks, starting linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.