2015 Re-Draft, you have the 3rd pick overall

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
On top of those three defensemen all coming in as rookies and playing like top 4 defensemen, don't forget Lindblom (sp) was going to easily replace Brayden Schenn's 50+ points and Provorov would be a Norris contender.

I think the only thing he got right was Giroux having a bounce back year. So he was like 1 for 5 in his predictions. Maybe another half a point for Provorov, since he improved, but didn't quite reach the status predicted.

Lindblom was a bit of an underachiever. The guy had so many scoring chances but couldn’t finish. H looked great. He should do better this year.

I don’t think I would say Provy is a Norris guy yet haha. At least not seriously. But hey he lead the league in goals from dmen! Not bad huh?

I also called G, Ghost, and Coots.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'd consider tacking on another half-point of extra credit because Giroux had quite a bit more than a "bounce back". But still, yeah. Much fail.
That’s a full point with what people were saying G would be. A declining player. Just look at his track record! See above, calling Ghost and Coots. This year I’ll call Patrick having a big year. What’s that? Like 3 pts?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Barzal is a weird case for me. I think he's a great player, but I'm curious to see how he does as THE GUY. He doesn't have Tavares to take any pressure off him and now will be the sole focus for defenses. He has the talent to put up 70-80 again and it wouldn't surprise me if he does. But it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles while being focused on game in game out. We'll see, regardless I think he ends up a great player regardless if he struggles next year or not.

Reactions: Trilliann

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lindblom was a bit of an underachiever. The guy had so many scoring chances but couldn’t finish. H looked great. He should do better this year.

I don’t think I would say Provy is a Norris guy yet haha. At least not seriously. But hey he lead the league in goals from dmen! Not bad huh?

I also called G, Ghost, and Coots.

Credit where credit is due, you were fine with your veteran projections. But you were way, way, way off on everything rookie/youngster related.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Barzal is a weird case for me. I think he's a great player, but I'm curious to see how he does as THE GUY. He doesn't have Tavares to take any pressure off him and now will be the sole focus for defenses. He has the talent to put up 70-80 again and it wouldn't surprise me if he does. But it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles while being focused on game in game out. We'll see, regardless I think he ends up a great player regardless if he struggles next year or not.

I honestly think he'll embrace it and thrive on it. He's a super competitive guy (aren't they all though?) and was 'the guy' in Seattle. Hell, he even made the Rangers think Gropp was an actual NHL prospect.

I've been calling a 90+ pt season for him this year. The Isles may not be playoff contenders, but Barzal will shine.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Credit where credit is due, you were fine with your veteran projections. But you were way, way, way off on everything rookie/youngster related.
I wish I could have been right on that. Just read though our boards discussion on Hextall and more so Hakstol. Hakstol is honestly an idiot. I hope they figure out how to handle young players. It was pretty bad last year. I mean we started Lehtera and player Macdonald on the top pair...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wish I could have been right on that. Just read though our boards discussion on Hextall and more so Hakstol. Hakstol is honestly an idiot. I hope they figure out how to handle young players. It was pretty bad last year. I mean we started Lehtera and player Macdonald on the top pair...
The point of my bringing that up is that while you have an okay track record with established vets, your record with kids is... um... bad. :)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I honestly think he'll embrace it and thrive on it. He's a super competitive guy (aren't they all though?) and was 'the guy' in Seattle. Hell, he even made the Rangers think Gropp was an actual NHL prospect.

I've been calling a 90+ pt season for him this year. The Isles may not be playoff contenders, but Barzal will shine.

I mean there’s a difference between being the guy in juniors and in the NHL. He may struggle a little adjusting to being the focus of defenses next year but after that should be fine.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Provorov. I wouldn't have the balls to do it but I could see the Provorov over Eichel argument.

Barzal has to prove he can do it as the guy. Boeser, Werenski, Marner, Rantanen, Aho are just a notch below. What a draft.

Reactions: Tripod and Vikke

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Provorov. I wouldn't have the balls to do it but I could see the Provorov over Eichel argument.

Barzal has to prove he can do it as the guy. Boeser, Werenski, Marner, Rantanen, Aho are just a notch below. What a draft.
When you do it(85 points), then you have done it. Barzal has nothing to prove, he is what he is(but he will get better in the future).
Tired of the Tavares product crap, especially for non-linemates.

Reactions: PWJunior

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Provorov, whats the point of having all star talent up front when you cant get the puck to them consistently while not being a defense liability in his own end. Edm drafted nothing but skilled forwards and look where it got them, bottom feeding with a fluke playoff appearance because they lucked into a once in a life time talent. Now look at Nashville, cash strapped team who developed some of the best D-man out there while making the playoffs regularly. Just now started spending money on forwards. That my friends, his how to build the team, back end first since the chances of any team getting a Crosby or Mcdavid is extremely low.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is my all time favourite draft. It was a very deep draft. I recall posting that the margins from 3-11 were razor thin. Picking 3rd was harder than picking 11th. A player picked 11th could be as good or better than a player picked 3rd or 4th. In this case, as our latest poll suggests a player picked 16th could move to #3 in a redraft. I look at Connor at #17, and Aho in the 2nd rd, they would be top 10 in a redraft.

Quality late, quality early. This was a draft IMO the only winners were picking 1-2. Picking 3rd or 4th was not an advantage since the draft went 16 and 17 deep to Barzal and Connor. Aho was just a miss by many, no one knew he would be that good.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Lol.

Anyway, I think about Barzal and didn't he have three 5 point games? No way that is sustainable. Just a thought
He also started scoreless through his first 5 games, doubt that happens again.

But even if you take away those 15 points he still outproduces everyone from this class except McDavid and Rananten.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad