2015 Re-Draft, you have the 3rd pick overall

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This past season was littered with oh so many definitive guarantees of how many points Barzal wouldn't score "once he came back down to earth".

Now, unlike literally every other hockey player 25 or under who fans expect to improve their games and get better, Barzal is expected to regress from scoring 85 points as a 20-year-old to getting much worse as a 21-year-old.

But please guys, tell me more about your 23 and 24 year old AHL players that you expect will make a huge impact at the NHL level once they get up here like Gourde did.

Barzal is a franchise level talent, a puck dominant center that skated circles around the NHL last year. The Isles got him with a '2nd half 1st rounder' at #16 overall. I think we all know the details that led to that happening by now. Gamechangers like him are usually only obtained with a top-2 pick. In an absolute monster 2015 draft class, he has emerged as a contender for 2nd best player behind a true generational talent in McDavid. He is the steal of steals in the draft of drafts to get lucky and hit the jackpot. When that happens, much butt hurt ensues all around.

He has personality and he really seems to be enjoying himself. He knows what it's like to be the franchise talent during his Seattle days and now it's time for him to do it at the NHL level. He is perhaps the best technical skater in the NHL, it's been described as a cross between Coffey and Savard by the NHLN's skating guru. He has the hands to match and the vision and instincts to control the game with the puck on his stick. He works hard and keeps his nose clean. Aside from his hilarious bromance with Beauvillier and his terrible fashion sense, there isn't much to dislike or be weirded out about a 21 year old new face of a franchise.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will add guys, if there was a Creating Chances per Game metric. C/60 Barzal would be near or at the top of the league I would surmise. It is just strange when you look at all his underlying metrics, he is seemingly a leading candidate to regress. When he just creates scoring chances when he is on the ice. Just peculiar he is going to fall off the cliff.

Now granted he did better than any rookie since Malkin reached 85 points over a decade ago. So the standard he set is higher than for most rookies. But Give 10 points either way of 85. I would not call this a huge swing either way.

The difference of a 85 point to 95 points
or the difference of 85 points to 75 points

Both scenarios are ver good, and both point to Barzal being a tremendous talent.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've been a ridiculously big supporter of Boeser ever since I saw him step foot in college but I don't think he goes Top 5 in a redraft. Probably around 8 or so. Provorov and Rantanen I'd put above him.

That's not a knock on him, this will go down as one of the best drafts of all time.

Slow your roll.....best drafts of all time? Just how many HOF’ers are you predicting?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Slow your roll.....best drafts of all time? Just how many HOF’ers are you predicting?
Nah, it makes sense. The depth of the draft is ridiculous. It's not just top-heavy. It has superstars in McJesus & Eichel, a potential Norris winner in Provorov, and a dozen kids with star potential. It really is one of the best drafts.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah, it makes sense. The depth of the draft is ridiculous. It's not just top-heavy. It has superstars in McJesus & Eichel, a potential Norris winner in Provorov, and a dozen kids with star potential. It really is one of the best drafts.

Let’s let it play out before proclaiming it historic.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
After Provorov (and Ghost to some extent) what do they have on D to suggest they can win the cup? Sanheim is a nice player (should be legit 3/4) but overall I am not sure they have the goods. Then again, the Caps didn't have a roster full of Hedmans either.
They have Provorov who is a legit number 1 and Ghost who is a legit number 2. Between Sanheim and Myers coming up and Carter Hart I think the back end will be very strong in a couple years while still having Giroux and the other forwards playing at a high level. A number 1 guy like Provorov is turning into makes it a lot easier to win cause in the playoffs he'll play half the game. If one of Ghost or Sanheim can play with him, hopefully in 2 years Sanheim/Ghost can play 20 on the second pair and thats enough to win the cup (or contend anyways)

Its not like cup winning defenses have to be 6 deep with studs. They need some talent, but I think theres enough talent there for Philly to be better thanPittsburghs cup winning defense/goalie tandems

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oooooo so you’re trying to knock Barzal to Pump up your guy!

The point I’m making is you made it sound like the biggest anomaly there was a guy whos paced for an average of 26 goals per season throughout his careee scoring 25 as if it’s some huge deviation, which quite blatantly shows you have no idea what you’re talking about.

And now you just called capuano and weights coaching similar, while capuanos “system” (he was a really bad coach) was focused almost entirely on defense. You’re simultaneously claiming they were similar yet one of them was allegedly according to you all out offense (you’re wrong) and one was basically the opposite of what you’re saying.

Just admit you don’t know anything about the isles and you’re trying to push a narrative to make an argument for provorov. It’s pretty obvious

Don’t say narrative on the internet. It’s gross.

I have an opinion on eberle being a waste. Get over it.

Doug weight coached in the previous season. Get under it.

I’m not pushing Provorov. He’s deserving of that 3 spot. Same as many people have said.

Are you really telling me that Lee scores 40 and that Barzal gets 85 again next year? By your retro analysis both should increase scoring. Sorry it’s not happening.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You speak in very definitive terms there.
I’m pretty confident on it. I’m not saying he won’t score 73, just not to the elite level of 85 next year. And certainly not above. And to your point below, there aren’t many forwards ever who have scored this many pts in their rookie year. Speaks more to a mild anomaly to me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m pretty confident on it. I’m not saying he won’t score 73, just not to the elite level of 85 next year. And certainly not above. And to your point below, there aren’t many forwards ever who have scored this many pts in their rookie year. Speaks more to a mild anomaly to me.

Why would you assume it's an anomaly instead of being an indication that Barzal is elite?

When Malkin scored 85 points as a rookie, did you think he would regress because of how rare it is for a rookie to score that many? Why don't you think Barzal's got the potential to be one of those players who is elite right out of the gate?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

I’m not pushing Provorov. He’s deserving of that 3 spot. Same as many people have said.

Are you really telling me that Lee scores 40 and that Barzal gets 85 again next year? By your retro analysis both should increase scoring. Sorry it’s not happening.

You’re arguing against facts :laugh:

“even eberle scores 25 goals”

eberle averages 26 goals a year

“Well I think he’s useless so there! Case closed! Because I personally feel he’s useless how many goals he usually scores is irrelevant... his numbers were inflated!”

Push that false narrative!!

To answer your question (as if you’re worth the time of day after showing you clearly know nothing about the islanders) I don’t know if Barzal will score 85 points next year. If he doesn’t, it will have more to do with him being the sole focus of opposing teams than a new system

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You’re arguing against facts :laugh:

“even eberle scores 25 goals”

eberle averages 26 goals a year

“Well I think he’s useless so there! Case closed! Because I personally feel he’s useless how many goals he usually scores is irrelevant... his numbers were inflated!”

Push that false narrative!!

To answer your question (as if you’re worth the time of day after showing you clearly know nothing about the islanders) I don’t know if Barzal will score 85 points next year. If he doesn’t, it will have more to do with him being the sole focus of opposing teams than a new system

So we agree! While we are on the topic of Barzals decline, what about Simmonds for him straight up?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Why would you assume it's an anomaly instead of being an indication that Barzal is elite?

When Malkin scored 85 points as a rookie, did you think he would regress because of how rare it is for a rookie to score that many? Why don't you think Barzal's got the potential to be one of those players who is elite right out of the gate?
Well bc Malkin is a little different than Barzal. You are talking about one of the best all time that did that pt total. Do you think Barzal is equal to Malkin? I’m not sure the players that have put up 80+ pts in the last few decades but I’m sure it’s a choice list. From what I found just OV, Crosby and Malkin. Aka the best players of a generation. I do not think Barzal is generational.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well bc Malkin is a little different than Barzal. You are talking about one of the best all time that did that pt total. Do you think Barzal is equal to Malkin? I’m not sure the players that have put up 80+ pts in the last few decades but I’m sure it’s a choice list. From what I found just OV, Crosby and Malkin. Aka the best players of a generation. I do not think Barzal is generational.

But at the time Malkin scored 85 points as a rookie, no one knew he'd become what he has. He was highly touted, but I don't think people thought he had to be the potential to be the best player in hockey when he was on his game. So my point is, how do you know Barzal doesn't have that same sort of potential?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But at the time Malkin scored 85 points as a rookie, no one knew he'd become what he has. He was highly touted, but I don't think people thought he had to be the potential to be the best player in hockey when he was on his game. So my point is, how do you know Barzal doesn't have that same sort of potential?

I recall Malkin scoring 85 points in his rookie season and earning a Calder trophy as a 20-year-old, then actually improving on that to score 106 points in his sophomore season as a 21-year-old?

Man, what a crazy occurrence! To see a bluechip prospect put up 85 points as a rookie and then actually improve the next season? I've generally found the 20 -> 21 dropoff to significantly hurt a hockey player's point totals, as the quickness of the game catches up to you and those 21-year-old legs just don't have the same juice in them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Weren't you the one who, about this time last year, was going on and on about how Philly was going to shock the Metro because every single one of Sanheim and Hagg and Morin would have major breakout seasons?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Weren't you the one who, about this time last year, was going on and on about how Philly was going to shock the Metro because every single one of Sanheim and Hagg and Morin would have major breakout seasons?

On top of those three defensemen all coming in as rookies and playing like top 4 defensemen, don't forget Lindblom (sp) was going to easily replace Brayden Schenn's 50+ points and Provorov would be a Norris contender.

I think the only thing he got right was Giroux having a bounce back year. So he was like 1 for 5 in his predictions. Maybe another half a point for Provorov, since he improved, but didn't quite reach the status predicted.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
On top of those three defensemen all coming in as rookies and playing like top 4 defensemen, don't forget Lindblom (sp) was going to easily replace Brayden Schenn's 50+ points and Provorov would be a Norris contender.

I think the only thing he got right was Giroux having a bounce back year. So he was like 1 for 5 in his predictions. Maybe another half a point for Provorov, since he improved, but didn't quite reach the status predicted.
I'd consider tacking on another half-point of extra credit because Giroux had quite a bit more than a "bounce back". But still, yeah. Much fail.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Malkin certainly had more hype. To say anyone but McDavid or Crosby or OV is going to be he best would be tough. What you are saying is Barzal is the next Malkin then. It’s a little easier now to score, but you are saying that Barzal will be the player Malkin is. Even still situationally Malkin had Crosby. Barzal has Barzal now. I don’t see him scoring more than last year.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Probably. The flyers are now the team that does not promote rookies to the nth power. No one saw Morin not making it. He looked great and would have made it on most other teams. Sanhiem was also cautiously brought along. I can’t really help them with backwards thinking. I think you’ll see more forward thinking this year.

I also was prob just stating the Flyers would make the playoffs which they did. They were the division leader for a second late in the season. That would have been shocking to most. Including me. I also called the return of G and Ghost they both had great years. I thought Coots would have a great year. He was a selke finalist. I thought Provy would do great. He lead the league in D goals.

I think I called it pretty well actually. I’m thinking they will be a good team this year if Frost does not make it. A good to very good team if he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad