2015 OHL Draft (Part 2)

OttawaHockeyFan

Jan 8, 2014
Sean Lafortune has just posted his final mock draft..

Here it is.

THE LATEST NEWS
Lafortune: OHL Mock Draft 2.0

It’s been a year unlike any other, make no mistake about it. Typically in past draft years the top 4/5 skaters were fairly well know, giving us the opportunity of offer intelligent speculation as to where other skaters may end up. That’s simply not the case this year.

With the Sudbury Wolves set to introduce David Levin this afternoon, we have knowledge of the first overall selection, but after that, everything is a question. The following mock draft is a look at who I think could go where, but simply take it as a guideline at this point, I can't stress enough that most teams listed don't have a great feel for who will be around when their pick comes up tomorrow morning.

1. Sudbury Wolves - David Levin, Don Mills Flyers
2. Windsor Spitfires - Gabriel Vilardi, CIHA Voyageurs
3. Plymouth Whalers / Flint Firebirds - Owen Tippett ,Toronto Red Wings
4. Mississauga Steelheads - Michael Mcleod, Toronto Marlboros
5. Peterborough Petes - Greg Meireles, Ottawa 67s
6. Saginaw Spirit - Brady Gilmour, Saginaw Spirit
7. Niagara IceDogs (Compensation pick) - Ben Jones , Toronto Marlboros
8. Belleville Bulls / Hamilton Bulldogs - Hayden Davis, Hamilton Huskies
9. Owen Sound Attack (Compensation pick) - - Markus Phillips, Toronto Titans
10. Sarnia Sting – Vanya Lodnia, Detorit HoneyBaked
11. Kingston Frontenacs - Zachary Gallant, Mississauga Rebels
12. Kitchener Rangers - Isaac Ratcliffe , London Jr Knights
13. Niagara IceDogs - Matt Strome, Toronto Marlboros
14. Owen Sound Attack - Nick Suzuki, London Jr Knights
15. Guelph Storm – Austen Keating , Guelph Storm
16. Ottawa 67's - Rielly Webb, Ottawa 67s
17. London Knights - Brett Neumann , Don Mills Flyers
18. North Bay Battalion - Brady Lyle, Shattuck St. Marys
19. Barrie Colts – Liam Hawel, Ottawa Valley Ttians
20. Erie Otters - Jacob Tortora, Don Mills Flyers
21. Oshawa Generals - Robert Proner , Toronto Titans
22. Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds - Evan Bouchard, Oakville Blades

Other players, such as Robbie Burt, Liam Stevens, Michael Dipietro and Sasha Chmelevski are also first round options.

jdHabs

Mar 13, 2015
There's not much to speak of from Cambridge, so taking them out of the equation...

Kitchener's best prospect may be Peter Cascagnette, a defenseman who should be a safe bet to play in the OHL. Lane and Willms came into the year with a lot of hype after playing up in MM with the 98's last year. I prefer Willms as an OHL prospect but it'll be interesting to see what the future (and the draft) holds in store for them. I would have to imagine both find a home inside the top 100.

Schnarr is probably Waterloo's best prospect but he's a bit of a polarizing player who has an inconsistent compete level and can leave you wanting more. Probably a 2nd-3rd round pick I would imagine. After that, Sullivan Sparkes might be their most likable player but his skating is very average for a player of his size.

Noah Benjamin came on in the playoffs and OHL Cup and probably did enough to be a top 100 pick, if not a surprise to go a bit higher. He's got some projectable upside and skates pretty well for a big player. King is Waterloo's best defensive prospect at this point and is a pretty steady puck moving defenseman who also has a good chance at being an OHL player in some capacity.

Long time viewer of the boards, but new to posting:

Not sure I agree that Cascagnette is Kitchener's best prospect.. He has some decent upside, but tends to get overwhelmed by speedy, agile checkers from what I have seen (often leading to turnovers). In a league like the OHL, where speed becomes the norm, he might have a tough time adjusting. Only time will tell.

From the Jr. Rangers I really do like Willms and Lane, but also see some strong upside in players like Andrew McIntyre, Tyler Dam, and Sam Shaw. These players flashed a good amount of talent, and were hard to play against with and without the puck all year.

It will be intriguing to see if/where the Kitchener players go tomorrow.. Good luck to all '99s in what should prove to be a very exciting day!

icehky1973

Dec 15, 2014
Long time viewer of the boards, but new to posting:

Not sure I agree that Cascagnette is Kitchener's best prospect.. He has some decent upside, but tends to get overwhelmed by speedy, agile checkers from what I have seen (often leading to turnovers). In a league like the OHL, where speed becomes the norm, he might have a tough time adjusting. Only time will tell.

From the Jr. Rangers I really do like Willms and Lane, but also see some strong upside in players like Andrew McIntyre, Tyler Dam, and Sam Shaw. These players flashed a good amount of talent, and were hard to play against with and without the puck all year.

It will be intriguing to see if/where the Kitchener players go tomorrow.. Good luck to all '99s in what should prove to be a very exciting day!

There are many "good" kids on all the teams, however all that matters is that the team sees where such kids fit in the program.
The draft is just the beginning of a long and treacherous journey. Look at the past drafts and see where they are at today.

Tomorrow will be filled with a great deal of "really" and "why" and my kid is "better" or "just as good"
My message is stay positive.:nod:

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
There are many "good" kids on all the teams, however all that matters is that the team sees where such kids fit in the program.
The draft is just the beginning of a long and treacherous journey. Look at the past drafts and see where they are at today.

Tomorrow will be filled with a great deal of "really" and "why" and my kid is "better" or "just as good"

Be careful with that one, we, as parents like to think that we know things like this, but we really dont...

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I say Sean got the top 4 correct.

1. Sudbury Wolves - David Levin, Don Mills Flyers
2. Windsor Spitfires - Gabriel Vilardi, CIHA Voyageurs
3. Plymouth Whalers / Flint Firebirds - Owen Tippett ,Toronto Red Wings
4. Mississauga Steelheads - Michael Mcleod, Toronto Marlboros

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Very true. In reality, draft position is just a number. It's the statement you make in training camp and during the seasons that make a difference. Take a guy like PK Subban who was drafted in the 6th round, 105 overall by the Belleville Bulls. I'm sure there are some other guys who are having great careers who were also drafted "late".

Even in the NHL, Kim Johnsson, Jonathan Ericsson, and Patric Hornqvist have all been picked last overall and Brian Elliott was 2nd last overall in his draft year. It's how you perform and make of it afterwards that matters.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Very true. In reality, draft position is just a number. It's the statement you make in training camp and during the seasons that make a difference. Take a guy like PK Subban who was drafted in the 6th round, 105 overall by the Belleville Bulls. I'm sure there are some other guys who are having great careers who were also drafted "late".

Even in the NHL, Kim Johnsson, Jonathan Ericsson, and Patric Hornqvist have all been picked last overall and Brian Elliott was 2nd last overall in his draft year. It's how you perform and make of it afterwards that matters.

Yes very true, Tanner Pearson was drafted by Barrie in the 14th round

tHEGOODBADUGLY

Feb 20, 2015
When you focus only on the first 22 players you forget the other 278, any of whom can make a difference. This year has effective parity , the smart teams will load up on draft choices in the middle and late rounds because the difference in value between the first 3 rounds and the rest is not great. Good luck to all the 99 AAA kids.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
My mock draft:

1. Sudbury Wolves - David Levin
2. Windsor Spitfires - Gabriel Vilardi
3. Plymouth Whalers - Owen Tippett
4. Mississauga Steelheads - Michael McLeod
5. Peterborough Petes - Greg Meireles
6. Saginaw Spirit - Brady Gilmour
7. Niagara IceDogs - Hayden Davis
8. Hamilton Bulldogs - Markus Phillips
9. Owen Sound Attack - Zach Gallant
10. Sarnia Sting - Ben Jones
11. Kingston Frontenacs - Liam Hawel
12. Kitchener Rangers - Vanya Lodnia
13. Niagara IceDogs - Matt Strome
14. Owen Sound Attack - Isaac Ratcliffe
15. Guelph Storm - Nick Suzuki
16. Ottawa 67's - Jack Studnicka
17. London Knights - Jacob Tortora
18. North Bay Battalion - Reilly Webb
19. Barrie Colts - Brett Neumann
20. Erie Otters - Jacob Brahaney
21. Oshawa Generals - Robert Proner
22. Sault. Ste Marie - Quinn Hanna

Few other fun predictions. Saginaw takes Pastujov in the second or third.

Blacker goes high second.

Carson goes to Niagara or Sudbury in the second.

Popovich is taken by Hamilton at some point.

Shelby Reinstra goes to Ottawa.

Going to be a lot of happy GM's in the second.

Garreffea might be small, but will go high second and make that team happy.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
'Twas the night before the draft.......

Best of luck to all the families and players tomorrow!!

tHEGOODBADUGLY

Feb 20, 2015
This draft year will produce several surprises for the future as kids get overlooked, other shine in the lime light but fade. That's what happens folks when you draft 15 year olds, good luck to all the kids.

Highstic

Oct 6, 2014

More importantly, if your son's name isn't called today, it's very important to send the message that this isn't the end of chasing their dream, but only the beginning. Even for those drafted, the hardest work is just starting. For those that go undrafted, keep your head up, and work even harder.

A fantastic example of this is DeBrincat who went undrafted, signed as a free agent, and won Rookie of the Year.....300 names were called at draft time last April, and his was not one of them.

Good luck to all of the 99's and the OA's that are still chasing the dream. To those that "stuck it out" despite not being drafted in previous years, I hope your hard work and dedication pays off today. I hope that you will help serve as the inspiration to all of those that will not hear their names called today, to keep pushing forward.

OttawaHockeyFan

Jan 8, 2014
Couldn't have said it better.

The draft is at best, an inexact science. GM's and teams will miss on players and someone will fall through the cracks for reasons unknown.

Mangiapane and DeBrincat are 2 recent examples of players who were overlooked and have gone on to prove everyone wrong. I have a sneaking suspicion several overlooked OA's are going to hear their names called surprisingly high today.

Best of luck to all the draft eligible players.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
In reality, my son's a 98, and I am hoping he does not get drafted after being passed over last year. If he gets picked today, he can only show his skills to one team. If he gets passed over again, we will get invites to 3-4 rookie camps. That is how many teams have approached him this year. We have two handshake agreement with two teams already to skate at their rookie camps. So why the hurry to get drafted if you are not a 99? He has a spot already lined up in the OJHL.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
My Final Mock
1-Sudbury-Levin
2-Windsor-Vilardi
3-Saginaw-McLeod
4-Mississauga-Tippett
5-Peterborough-Miereles
6-Saginaw-Lodnia
7-Niagara-Phillips
8-Hamilton-Davis