2015 OHL Draft (Part 2)

scoreagoalnow

Dec 1, 2014
The point is, they don't have to accept it. They have options. They have one son going the NCAA route, one son in the OHL. They can decide what is best for their third son.

No, the point is, if they/he decides it is the OHL, he should have to go where he was picked to go or I agree with a previous poster, what's the point of the draft.

TheDude25

Apr 8, 2013
I get what you’re saying, but the OHL is all about attracting the top talent to their League. They would rather set up a system that allows some options to get around the draft then to make the rules overly draconian. The “O” will want RM playing in the “O” next year.

Last edited:

scoreagoalnow

Dec 1, 2014
I get what you’re saying, but the OHL is all about attracting the top talent to their League. They would rather set up a system that allows some options to get around the draft then to make the rules overly draconian. The “O†will want RM playing in the “O†next year.

Good point. I guess I get what you are saying also. I would want him there too.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
If you don't mind, I will comment with my opinion.

I think the Rangers had one of the better drafts. Of course, we won't know entirely how it pans out until 2-3 years from know but they got great value with a lot of their selections.

1st RD - Greg Meireles - clearly probably the best value in the first round as he was projected to go Top 8...great motor and feet who plays all out on both sides of the puck...should be a key piece moving forward

2nd RD - Elijah Roberts - like Meireles, heard Roberts linked to KIT prior to the draft...creative puck moving defenseman who's on the smaller side...could develop into a Ryan Murphy-lite but needs to assert himself and his skills more. Lots of upside.

3rd RD - Joseph Garreffa - GREAT value...had him pegged as a top 30 pick...one of the most dangerous one-on-one players in the draft...great hands, creativity and hockey sense...small...very effective in tight and can strike quickly

4th RD - Luke RIchardson - Probably the BEST value outside of Meireles...was a huge fan of Richardson as the poised goaltender who carried his Predators squad was ranked Top 3 at his position on my list. Unflappable presence...has pro upside IMO...he'll start in this league IMO and be a great one.

6th RD - Tyler Inamoto - not familiar with him but know he was near the top of ranked Americans. Sean might be able to expand.

7th Rd - Nick McHugh - played with Meireles in Ottawa and showed good chemistry...strong player in possession (confident)...not a high end offensive talent or the quickest of foot but a good support player.

8th Rd - Nick Durajilja - raw defenseman with good range...defense first player who improved as the season went on...projects as a depth dman likely but a reliable presence.

9th Rd - Alex Peterson - impressed at the OHL Cup with THunder Bay...has some intriguing potential...very smart defensive player but also capable of starting the rush with clean crisp passes....does a lot of things well.

11th Rd - Ryan Kula - an underrated player IMO with the Titans...similar to McHugh that he' could be a nice support player...smart player who plays a simple game...

12th Rd - Scott Del Zotto - shocked that he was available in the 12th round....skilled high pace forward with good offensive package...quick on pucks and loves being in possession of it

13th Rd - Colin Felix - not familiar with him

14th RD - Andrew McIntyre - had him pegged around the 10th round so again, good value. Great shooter who finds the soft areas well...always good to grab a local kid but even better when he's got OHL projectability

15th RD - Dylan Seitz - great value...really liked him at the OHL Cup...rangy forward with good fundamental skills and noteworthy compete...he's got some good tools

Good list Rossy, Kitchener did well at the draft and had picked many of my favourite guys available. I agree with mostly everything you said but I saw the Ottawa 67's play quite a bit and Nick McHugh is one of the better skaters in the draft IMO, his feet are really quick and he has high end puck skills, on par with Meireles in my opinion but he isn't nearly as explosive. Meireles is quite clearly the better player but McHugh flew under the radar a lot this year, thought he should have been a top 4 round pick.

Speaking of the 67's, a guy on this team I was shocked wasn't drafted, was Oliver Castleman. I feel he could be like a Cole Carter and put up good numbers in Tier 2 this year and get picked next season. He played a lot on the same line with Meireles and McHugh, and he never looked out of place at all.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Would love to hear Sean LaFortunes take on Sudburys draft. We are hearing it was one of the best drafts Saturday getting Carson, Lane, and McGrath when they did. What are your thoughts? anyone

I saw a lot of Barrie play this year, and Carson is a good one I feel. He has decent size and his skating is a work in progress, maybe a little slightly below average but he plays with a ton of heart and energy. He has pretty solid puck skills and loves to drive the net with the puck, where he gets a lot of his production from. Him and Morgan Frost, a SSM pick were very good together throughout the year. Carson is a perfect player, the captain of that team and someone I feel has that potential at the OHL level as well.

From watching them both in Minor Midget, I don't think there is that big of a separation between Pezzetta and Carson, pretty similar guys with Pezzetta being the better skater.

I only really saw Lane play in the tournaments he was involved in, but I like him for sure. I saw him as a top 80 guy because of his strong puck skills and two-way game. He has good hands and is strong in 1 on 1 situations, and has the confidence to make it happen as well. He has good positional sense without the puck and was used in all situations, with Willms, for Kitchener when I saw them play. He was willing to block shots, clogs up lanes and reads the play well. I feel he is a guy who could surprise at camp and grab a spot on the third or fourth line for Sudbury, but I think he'd be better suited playing a year of Junior A or B first.

Not a big guy on goalie evaluations as I admit, but Mcgrath played in a lot of big games for the Marlies this year, has good size and was strong in most games I saw of him. Others might be more equipped to comment on the goalie situations lol.

Anyways I hope that can help.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I would love to hear any of youngbloods, Mapleleaf or Lafortune's thoughts on how the Petes did at this draft..

Do you guys think any of Grima, Clarke, Boyko or Fraser are OHL ready next season? Thanks!!

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Good list Rossy, Kitchener did well at the draft and had picked many of my favourite guys available. I agree with mostly everything you said but I saw the Ottawa 67's play quite a bit and Nick McHugh is one of the better skaters in the draft IMO, his feet are really quick and he has high end puck skills, on par with Meireles in my opinion but he isn't nearly as explosive. Meireles is quite clearly the better player but McHugh flew under the radar a lot this year, thought he should have been a top 4 round pick.

Speaking of the 67's, a guy on this team I was shocked wasn't drafted, was Oliver Castleman. I feel he could be like a Cole Carter and put up good numbers in Tier 2 this year and get picked next season. He played a lot on the same line with Meireles and McHugh, and he never looked out of place at all.

Should've been more specific re: McHugh's skating....I would agree that he's a good skater but the lack of quickness i was trying to get at was his acceleration.

Also agree with Castleman...love his compete....very underrated player

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I would love to hear any of youngbloods, Mapleleaf or Lafortune's thoughts on how the Petes did at this draft..

Do you guys think any of Grima, Clarke, Boyko or Fraser are OHL ready next season? Thanks!!

Not one of those three you mentioned, but I've seen all four a lot this year. I would say out of those guys, Clarke, Fraser and Boyko are close to OHL ready. I would expect Clarke and Fraser to be on the team for sure, provided they're OHL committed. Clarke is pretty inconsistent, but he definitely has first round skills. Near the end of the year he really turned it on I thought, scored some big goals for the Marlies. His compete level and skating are two areas he needs to work on, but I bet he's with the Petes next season.

Fraser to me is OHL ready, already has OHL size and his mobility is not bad at all. He's so mean and physical too which will make him valuable to the Pete's right away. His offensive game won't be there much at the next level I don't think, but he should be a right handed version of Lizotte I think. I don't think he'll turn the puck over nearly as much as Lizotte does.

Boyko is just on the small side, but is a good skater with quick feet. He was one of the players in minor midget this year who could break a game wide open with one shot. He can be really one dimensional though so I feel he might need a year in Jr. A first.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Should've been more specific re: McHugh's skating....I would agree that he's a good skater but the lack of quickness i was trying to get at was his acceleration.

Also agree with Castleman...love his compete....very underrated player

No worries. I agree with you there then, his overall skating is good, slightly above average I feel, but he could stand to get faster off the hop. Maybe I'm just a big fan of him, but I really liked McHugh in all of my viewings.

Ya I was surprised he didn't get selected, I feel he would be great value in the later rounds for any team. But oh well, lots of quality players don't get selected each year.

Two players I was surprised from the GTHL who did not get selected, were Jonathan Sharir-Smith from the Young Nats and Joey Maziarz from the Vaughn Kings. They're both pretty small guys but they impressed me in all my viewings of them.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Again, why even have a draft then? What would become of the OHL if every player/family did this and got to hand-pick their location? I would suspect you would have 8 teams instead of 20.

I'll post here to avoid causing a stir in the Flint Firebirds forum. Time and time again players do this, this is not the first case and won't be the last. We understand you are frustrated that a player will not report but the endless posts of his family or him not making a statement, that is not mandatory. Has every other 1st round selection made a tweet or state,Kent? Has Tortora for Barrie? Just drop it. Hey, I am one that dosn't like the system but for once it's actually going in favour of Missy so in a biased attitude I can be happy, who knows what will happen come Septemeber.

Instead of vilifying this young man and his family start turning the finger on the GM who passed over a sure thing for a huge question mark. Like another poster mentioned. VERY VERY poor asset management.

If you are new to the OHL then I'm sorry but this is why it's called a priority selection and not a draft. How do you Kingston fans felt when Domi did this. Ryan wants to play with his brother and if I had a child in he OHL and one going in I would want a similar situation to that the Hamiltons had or other brother combos.

Stop with the negativity and focus on the other picks your GM made and enjoy the future of OHL hockey in Flint!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
On a more positive note can some of the pros (Rossy, Sean, goodtimes, maple leaf)weigh in on the Steelheads draft. Word is Rozanov is a higher 97 that went undrafted and has a chance of playing in the league next year.

Any chance Cayden Primeau selects the OHL over Northeastern?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Not one of those three you mentioned, but I've seen all four a lot this year. I would say out of those guys, Clarke, Fraser and Boyko are close to OHL ready. I would expect Clarke and Fraser to be on the team for sure, provided they're OHL committed. Clarke is pretty inconsistent, but he definitely has first round skills. Near the end of the year he really turned it on I thought, scored some big goals for the Marlies. His compete level and skating are two areas he needs to work on, but I bet he's with the Petes next season.

Fraser to me is OHL ready, already has OHL size and his mobility is not bad at all. He's so mean and physical too which will make him valuable to the Pete's right away. His offensive game won't be there much at the next level I don't think, but he should be a right handed version of Lizotte I think. I don't think he'll turn the puck over nearly as much as Lizotte does.

Boyko is just on the small side, but is a good skater with quick feet. He was one of the players in minor midget this year who could break a game wide open with one shot. He can be really one dimensional though so I feel he might need a year in Jr. A first.

Yeah, I feel like the Petes will be forced to pick one of Fraser/Grima to make the team and the other one will be in Jr.A. I think Grima likely has the advantage due to being drafted higher. Hopefully if one goes down they will sign and stay inthe Petes plans. (Same with Boyko)

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah, I feel like the Petes will be forced to pick one of Fraser/Grima to make the team and the other one will be in Jr.A. I think Grima likely has the advantage due to being drafted higher. Hopefully if one goes down they will sign and stay inthe Petes plans. (Same with Boyko)

I like Grima more than Fraser but I think Fraser's size and physicality lends him more likely to make the team next season, but I could be wrong. Grima is a pretty safe and smart defender, he moves the puck well and has a mean streak to him as well, just not in Fraser's class there. He has a good point shot as well. Sorta like a poor man's Spencer I guess.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Can't speak to Fraser but I really liked Grimas game and brought him up predraft for thoughts. Seemed he got buried a bit in terms of recognition on a team loaded with quality D. Those more in the know here said he really stepped it up thru this year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Can't speak to Fraser but I really liked Grimas game and brought him up predraft for thoughts. Seemed he got buried a bit in terms of recognition on a team loaded with quality D. Those more in the know here said he really stepped it up thru this year.

Awesome, that's for the responses Ares and Genleaf

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I don't believe he will report, don't think Flint does either.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2015/04/1...rican-forward-sasha-chmelevski-10th-overall-2

When asked if he has any doubts about Chmelevski – he was born in Huntington Beach, Calif. before his family moved to Michigan – reporting to Sarnia, Sinclair flatly stated, “No.â€

In an exclusive interview with The Observer, Chmelevski confirmed he will be committing to the club.

“Yes, I plan to be a Sarnia Sting for sure,†he said. “I knew Sarnia had interest in me. It was one of the places where I really wanted to play. Now that I'm here I'm excited.â€

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I'll post here to avoid causing a stir in the Flint Firebirds forum. Time and time again players do this, this is not the first case and won't be the last. We understand you are frustrated that a player will not report but the endless posts of his family or him not making a statement, that is not mandatory. Has every other 1st round selection made a tweet or state,Kent? Has Tortora for Barrie? Just drop it. Hey, I am one that dosn't like the system but for once it's actually going in favour of Missy so in a biased attitude I can be happy, who knows what will happen come Septemeber.

Instead of vilifying this young man and his family start turning the finger on the GM who passed over a sure thing for a huge question mark. Like another poster mentioned. VERY VERY poor asset management.

If you are new to the OHL then I'm sorry but this is why it's called a priority selection and not a draft. How do you Kingston fans felt when Domi did this. Ryan wants to play with his brother and if I had a child in he OHL and one going in I would want a similar situation to that the Hamiltons had or other brother combos.

Stop with the negativity and focus on the other picks your GM made and enjoy the future of OHL hockey in Flint!

I stand by my comnents and have the right to them. I think Flint's GM and the family have handled this poorly. However, I do like the upside of several of our selections and have said in numerous post how blessed we are to have OHL Hockey (you must have missed those).

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As I mentioned in the other thread, the worst part about it is that it appears as thou Flint is holding one kid hostage in-order to get another one off the Mississauga roster. If a team was doing that to my kid, I may tweet something, but not complimentary. Im not sdure why Flint is using a player that way, and why the kid should thank them for doing it.

The reason teams are doing this is because the compensation is great. Teams have the right to draft any player eligible. The draft is set that way. Players parents know the rules and try to circumvent them by sending out letters or whatever to tell teams not to draft their kids. They in there own way are manipulating the draft. By doing what they do it has forced the league to give compensation to the team their first pick refuses to report to. Teams see how others have hit the mother load when they trade the player plus they get a comp pick at the expense of teams that have their picks report. You can't blame them. If they don't do it its likely another team will. It's the league that allows it and until they deal with it teams will do it every year. The players are holding the team hostage by refusing to report. McLeod will end up where he wants but it will cost a team a bundle.

cowboy88win

Apr 14, 2015
Kingston Frontenacs 2015 OHL Draft

Does anyone have any insight on the Fronts draft this year? Don't know much about the players they selected, would like to see if any of them can be impact for the upcoming year(s)?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I cant speak about Fraser. Of the other 3, Grima can push for a job. I bet this plays out, Issacson pushing for a roster spot more than Clarke or Boyko at main camp. He is more suited and probably willing to play in the bottom 6. Big man with a good motor that can impact the forecheck. I said this before and I could be wrong but he might turn into G.Knott type.

I also like the Misley pick. He had a good year with DMF, defensive centerman who has a good motor.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I think it sucks for Flint that they weren't able to pick up their own own brother combo of the Vilardi's. They had an opportunity to do exactly that, but Windsor plucked him up. And now, without a top 60 pick reporting this season, they're very likely behind the 8 ball this year.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Cal Davis is gonna be an interesting player for Niagara. I saw him live a few times but when I looked at some game tape and tried to analyze what he was thinking thru out the duration of multiple game's, i saw a player looking ahead of the play. The puck would follow him around, he could spot guys with opportunity on the weakside. If his feet can get a bit better this summer, he can buy himself time to use his vision and make plays at the next level. His IQ won him the scoring title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad