2015 NHL redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I get that, but the Bruins would be overwhelming favorites for the next 2-3 cups if they took Barzal Connor and DeBrusk.
There's nothing more pointless than looking back to a draft three years after it happened, seeing who panned out where, and saying they should have been taken sooner.

As they're looking strong plowing through the second round of the playoffs, I don't think they really care anymore.

Reactions: FanSince72

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Stop the "Barzal put up points because of the Isles run and gun style" talking point. Just STOP. The reason he put up points is because he is incredible at getting and possessing the puck. He is also great at keeping the other team pinned in it's own end. If you constantly possess the puck in the other team's end it's going to lead to goals. That's why Barzal is so amazing.

Really is funny how many posters love to toss out the "run and gun offense" crap but then can't explain why that same "run and gun offense" hasn't spiked the numbers for Eberle, Beau, Nelson, Ladd, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Johnston, Quine, Prince, or Wagner. It's a casual way to insinuate Barzal does not deserve full credit for his astounding rookie season. That it's laughable to think he'd crack 80 on any other NHL team. That an above average player fell into the perfect situation, and all the stars aligned this season, but we can expect a Brassard-tier player once "things come back down to reality".

Why some people go to such great lengths to gatekeep players from some fictional "elite forward" club and not face their hypocrisies is crazy. I'm a logical guy, and even if you put forth an argument in front of me that I personally don't agree with, (say Provorov >> Barzal because of how important a #1 defenseman is) I still understand why you'd think that way. But "Barzal is just a product of a run and gun offense" is like "Obama was born in Kenya" - motivated by a desire to attack a target, not at all backed up with any facts, easily disproven, and yet still casually spouted by idiots who just believe it because they want it to be true.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He was expected to get 50 to 60 points his first year. No one expected the 80+.

Teams can goof a draft and still be awesome, but to call the Barzal thing a 'hindsight' situation is either ignorant or disingenuous.

Last edited:

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
1. McJesus
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Rantanen
6. Werenski
7. Marner
8. Boeser
9. Aho
10. Connor
11. Hanifin
12. DeBrusk
13. Konecny
14. Beauvillier
15. Meier
16. Chabot
17. Dermott
18. Dunn
19. Carlo
20. Strome
21. Roslovic
22. Sprong
23. Zacha
24. FIscher
25. Samsonov
26. Juulsen
27. Greenway
28. Malgin
29. Eriksson Ek
30. Andersson

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So, at the draft, THE NIGHT OF THE DRAFT, everyone ripped on Boston for not taking Barzal. Is that hindsight to you?

The Isles brass nearly **** their pants when he was stil;l there at #16. let's not act like this is a hindsight moment, it's not. They messed up the moment they didn't take Barzal with any of the three picks. I understand other teams passing because you usually only get 1 pick and don't wanna crew up, but Barzal was easily BPA.

"Everyone ripped at Boston for not taking Barzal" = your fantasy. Barzal was one of the possible choices around mid first round, he wasn't taken by Boston and it's not like there was an uproar about it. It's not like anyone knew that he was going to have an 85 points rookie season a few years later.
It's only now that folks like you like to harp on that like back then you had a crystal ball telling you the future. BS.
If everyone knew, why wasn't he taken way before the 16th spot?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
"Everyone ripped at Boston for not taking Barzal" = your fantasy. Barzal was one of the possible choices around mid first round, he wasn't taken by Boston and it's not like there was an uproar about it. It's not like anyone knew that he was going to have an 85 points rookie season a few years later.
It's only now that folks like you like to harp on that like back then you had a crystal ball telling you the future. BS.

Here's the 2015 draft thread from the Bruins board

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...i-disaster-in-sunrise-10-am-nhln-tva.1917465/

Never mind them following that up with taking a huge reach with the 15th pick with a Top 10 rated player sitting there at the same pick, only to go to the Islanders.

This is the darkest day in a long time. I can't believe they didn't take Barzal

What on earth did we do to deserve this?

I'm completely flabbergasted and it doesn't help that my friends (Leaf fans) are blowing up my phone with "WTF" texts. They're not laughing, just trying to figure out what the hell happened today. I'm an eternal optimist and want to see how the weekend plays out but it's really hard for me to see a silver lining here. I get upset when things don't go my way when it comes to sports but I move on because sports doesn't impact my life. However, today's events have been weighing over me and I can't shake the feeling. it really has me down.

I think it's obvious the Bruins do not care for high skilled players. They pick guys that fit the "Bruins way". You can say they should have drafted Barzal and Connor but they would have traded them anyways after a couple years like they did Seguin.

When we look back on this day years from now knowing Barzal and Connor became star players and Zboril became a solid but nothing special D-man, Debrusk a 3rd/4th liner, and Senyshyn never makes it, we'll cringe.

That's just the first two pages.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So many Mr Hindsight's here who are always right and they love to tell you over and over how right they are like it was their very own kid that was not picked, time to get off that sanctimonious bus. Just above you can see the effort some make to bring up 3 years ago, lol. I tried originally being nice after that post saying they drafted so well we shared the wealth, should have been the end of it but nope. I said how they drafted for position and gave possible reasons, it will never going be good enough for some.

I am happy for the Isles getting a guy that rose to the occasion. It was going be a deep draft and there is always risers and guys that flop and guys that take longer. Some ppl just like to shove our noses in the ground over and over about how smart they are at 20/20 maybe share some lottery numbers some time please. Now get back to the thread discussion. For me I wonder who will show up next year and dominate, maybe Donato wins the Calder:sarcasm: As for the 2015 draft Barzal is full marks for going a lot earlier in HINDSIGHT, so is DeBrusk and Carlo and a few others. Marner impresses me and is an amazing player.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Stop the "Barzal put up points because of the Isles run and gun style" talking point. Just STOP. The reason he put up points is because he is incredible at getting and possessing the puck. He is also great at keeping the other team pinned in it's own end. If you constantly possess the puck in the other team's end it's going to lead to goals. That's why Barzal is so amazing.

This guy gets it.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Boston is one of the best teams in the NHL and a Stanley Cup favorite. The team also has a strong prospect pool. I'd say that the organization is not looking like ****ing idiot right now.

As for Barzal, yes, the Bruins blew it by passing on him.

YOU ARE IN A 2015 REDRAFT THREAD! Now go read what I wrote, USE CONTEXT, and then read your last sentence there.

I KNEW I should have written some stupid parenthesis thing but figured that wasn't worth the effort. Clearly I underestimated.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009

So like....

When you said:

I hope someone makes a "I survived hockeypocalypse 2015" t-shirt... All this makes renewing NHL Gamecenter a tough proposition...

It kinda seems like the draft almost literally made you stop watching.... I wasn't out here looking to call you out but you are just so selective about how you remember that draft its nauseating

Feel free to browse to refresh that day.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-10-am-nhln-tva.1917465/page-8#post-104333911.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I agree with him 100%. I also think Leaf fans get it and other fans don't about Marner's season after January 24th. It's being spun as some fluke hot streak.
Mariner is a excellent player and any team would love to have him, I just think Barzal is on another level than anyone besides McDavid and Eichel.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Mariner is an excellent player and any team would love to have him, I just think Barzal is on another level than anyone besides McDavid and Eichel.

Even as a Leafs fan I don't disagree. Barzal has been lights out good. I remember during the draft there were rumors that Barzal would go 3 or 4
He has been a great find for the Isles

That draft will be one for the ages. So many potential superstars there

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

It may be my mind playing tricks, but i swear there were hundreds of people on the day saying how your picks were a terrible idea and that Barkov, Konecny etc... would be better choices.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
1.Mcdavid
2.Eichel
3.Barzal
4.Provorov
5.Ratanen
6.Marner
7.Werenski
8.Aho
9.Boeser
10.Chabot
11.Connor
12.Konecy
13.Hanifin
14.Strome
15.Debrusk

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. McJesus
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Rantanen
6. Werenski
7. Marner
8. Boeser
9. Aho
10. Connor
11. Hanifin
12. DeBrusk
13. Konecny
14. Beauvillier
15. Meier
16. Chabot
17. Dermott
18. Dunn
19. Carlo
20. Strome
21. Roslovic
22. Sprong
23. Zacha
24. FIscher
25. Samsonov
26. Juulsen
27. Greenway
28. Malgin
29. Eriksson Ek
30. Andersson

I still take Eriksson Ek over everybody from #21 - #28.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's a defensible position, but 16 points in 75 games is not a good look.

It's not a terrible one when they have you playing on the 4th line with Foligno and Winnik. He's advanced in the defensive side of the game, just needs the opportunity to bring the offense along. His floor right now is a defensive #3C, ceiling still ~1B/2A C.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Curious... Where do HFers have Meier? I remember being so upset that Werenski was picked before us, so I wanted Barzal. Meier was a big upset for me at the time.

That said, aside from missing on Rantanen and Barzal, I'm pleased with Meier. He's become an awesome possession power forward for the Sharks. I'm excited to see what he might become, but there's still risk that the point totals won't catch up to his impact (sort of like Hertl so far).

Reactions: Lemonlimey

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Curious... Where do HFers have Meier? I remember being so upset that Werenski was picked before us, so I wanted Barzal. Meier was a big upset for me at the time.

That said, aside from missing on Rantanen and Barzal, I'm pleased with Meier. He's become an awesome possession power forward for the Sharks. I'm excited to see what he might become, but there's still risk that the point totals won't catch up to his impact (sort of like Hertl so far).

Solid young player and great #9 in most years. His biggest issue was being picked there in 2015.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Boeser
6. Werenski
7. Connor
8. Rantanen
9. Marner
10. Aho
11. Hanifin
12. Konecny
13. Meier
14. Chabot
15. DeBrusk
16. Roslovic
17. Zacha
18. Eriksson-Ek
19. Strome
20. Samsonov

Black and Gold 11

Apr 1, 2015
With all re-draft threads, I think the only ones that deserve to be changed are huge misses. If you hit on a draft pick, whether it be 3 or 200 it's a success, no matter who you 'could have' picked.

Drafts are very hard, hitting on a pick should always be considered as a win.

I feel bad for the teams that haven't hit on this draft(at least so far) seems like a huge wasted opportunity.
It’s okay, you can say Boston

I also have a rule when doing re-drafts that a team can only take a player within the next five picks, and it was to be the same position - so for example, Boston could take Kyle Connor instead of Jake DeBrusk, but not Brock Boeser because he was projected to go lower than 15th and not Mat Barzal because he’s a center

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Boeser
6. Werenski
7. Connor
8. Rantanen
9. Marner
10. Aho
11. Hanifin
12. Konecny
13. Meier
14. Chabot
15. DeBrusk
16. Roslovic
17. Zacha
18. Eriksson-Ek
19. Strome
20. Samsonov

Pretty good, I might switch Connor and Marner

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It’s okay, you can say Boston

I also have a rule when doing re-drafts that a team can only take a player within the next five picks, and it was to be the same position - so for example, Boston could take Kyle Connor instead of Jake DeBrusk, but not Brock Boeser because he was projected to go lower than 15th and not Mat Barzal because he’s a center

Let's not forget Boston also got Brandon Carlo in the 2nd rd to add to Debrusk. They take a lot of unwarranted heat IMO when a lot of teams missed on Connor, Barzal, and Konecny. And everyone missed on Aho so I can't blame them on that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad