Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This thread is poison

source.gif

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It’s okay, you can say Boston

I also have a rule when doing re-drafts that a team can only take a player within the next five picks, and it was to be the same position - so for example, Boston could take Kyle Connor instead of Jake DeBrusk, but not Brock Boeser because he was projected to go lower than 15th and not Mat Barzal because he’s a center

The bruins definitely could have had a better first round but that happens.

My point is more that teams shouldn’t get slagged for hitting on a players if they hit on a top end player.

The Leafs for example got a first line winger and very likely a top 4 dman with their first two picks, that draft is a home run to them no matter who was taken around them.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The bruins definitely could have had a better first round but that happens.

My point is more that teams shouldn’t get slagged for hitting on a players if they hit on a top end player.

The Leafs for example got a first line winger and very likely a top 4 dman with their first two picks, that draft is a home run to them no matter who was taken around them.

It sure does happen, Isles have wiffed on a few 1st rounders. The major difference is that teams don't often have picks in a row to help hedge a bet.

Boston is getting slagged on for passing on top consensus players like Barzal and Connor and instead tried to outsmart everyone in a move I can only assume was orchestrated by Garth Snow somehow someway. Maybe blackmail?

And that's a sick draft for the Leafs. Boston so far has gotten a middle 6 player in Debrusk. Solid and great 1st round pick.... but the other two?

Imagine Debrusk, Connor and Barzal on that team and try not to care who was 'taken around them'.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers got:

#1 Dman in Provy
Top 6 winger in Konecny

On the way:
Vorobyev who likely ends up as the #4 C as early as this coming year
Kase is joining the AHL team this year...depth winger
Sandstrom had health issues this year but still has starter upside
Tomek....long shot

Marody was drafted in the 6th rd and traded to Oilers for a 3rd rounder. Great value trade.

Then undrafted Myers should be a top 4 Dman. Who doesn't want a 6'5 210 LB RHD who can skate and produce offense?

That was a great draft/summer for Hextall and scouts!

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
It sure does happen, Isles have wiffed on a few 1st rounders. The major difference is that teams don't often have picks in a row to help hedge a bet.

Boston is getting slagged on for passing on top consensus players like Barzal and Connor and instead tried to outsmart everyone in a move I can only assume was orchestrated by Garth Snow somehow someway. Maybe blackmail?

And that's a sick draft for the Leafs. Boston so far has gotten a middle 6 player in Debrusk. Solid and great 1st round pick.... but the other two?

Imagine Debrusk, Connor and Barzal on that team and try not to care who was 'taken around them'.

First of all, Debrusk was tied for 30th in points for LWs as a rookie. I’m not sure how that makes him a middle six winger.

secondly, Leaving Zboril out of Boston’s 3 picks is just unrealistic. There was a dire need for dmen in the Bruins pipeline and Zboril was considered by many to be the best Dmen at that spot. Obviously it was a f*** up and if you want to drag them in the mud for it, sure, but there was no way they were picking 3 forwards.

Zboril, debrusk, and Barzal would have been awesome, I personally wanted Zboril, Konecny, and whomever fell(I preferred Barzal over Connor when they were both still on the board) but I think it’s pretty unfair to expect the Bruins to grab the 3 best value picks in the 1st round 3 years in a row with Pasta, Barzal, and McAvoy. That would have been some of the best drafting in NHL history. But still, there is no doubt in my mind that people are going to look back at the Bruins 2014-2016 drafts and put them as one of the better drafting teams over that time.

Pastrnak, McAvoy, Debrusk, Carlo, and Heinen are already a huge part of Boston’s team that did damn well last year despite dealing with a ton of injuries. Donato and Bjork got games last year and looked very good and they still have Zboril, Frederic, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Studnicka, Senyshyn, and Lauzon as 1st or 2nd round picks in the minor ranks for those drafts.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
2015 was such a stacked draft. Jets will have likely have 4 NHLers from the draft, 5 if you include Foley who was traded. (6 if you include Spacek who I'm fairly confident will be an NHLer). Easily Chevy and his scouts best draft so far.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Boeser
6. Werenski
7. Connor
8. Rantanen
9. Marner
10. Aho
11. Hanifin
12. Konecny
13. Meier
14. Chabot
15. DeBrusk
16. Roslovic
17. Zacha
18. Eriksson-Ek
19. Strome
20. Samsonov
Connor ahead of Rantanen, Marner, Aho? Explain

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Connor ahead of Rantanen, Marner, Aho? Explain

It is based on future projection. Once Connor fills out his "Trevor from TPB"-type frame, he will be that much more productive in his sweet spot around the net as well as in the Jets cycle game. I wouldn't argue putting Rantanen ahead of Connor because he's already a beast. I don't see Marner being a ppg player because there's too many mouths to feed and he's too much of a perimeter player. I haven't watched Aho enough to really comment but then again 95% should admit to the same thing.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't see Marner being a ppg player because there's too many mouths to feed and he's too much of a perimeter player.

But he's the one with the ladle.

Also he's really not a perimeter player, only on the PP. I don't think you've watched him much with that assessment. He's small but he likes playing around the net and doesn't mind physical play. He has to stay somewhat close to the net to score because he doesn't yet have the strength to beat goalies from distance. That's what made Doug Gilmour such a fan as his, he saw another small guy that played with an edge. That's what won him some admiration from neutral fans during the playoffs, he was the young Leaf most willing to play rough.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Zacha is a good player. He was a bad value pick, but he will be a top six player, and if not, he is already a very good third liner
Zacha may be a terrible value pick, but he was a very highly regarded prospect. Just shows you, scouting is not exact science. Whatever happened to NJ in that draft, it all got ironed out after they got Hall & Hischier. Doesn't get much more franchise-changing than that. Imagine they got a 1D to go with that wealth of talent though...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It is based on future projection. Once Connor fills out his "Trevor from TPB"-type frame, he will be that much more productive in his sweet spot around the net as well as in the Jets cycle game. I wouldn't argue putting Rantanen ahead of Connor because he's already a beast. I don't see Marner being a ppg player because there's too many mouths to feed and he's too much of a perimeter player. I haven't watched Aho enough to really comment but then again 95% should admit to the same thing.

What do you mean with that 95% thing? About watching Aho or putting Farmer O'Connor ahead of him?

Connor had a great season, but he also got decent TOI and best possible linemates: Scheifele & Wheeler. For sure that's lot better situation that Marner and Aho found themselves. Rantanen had similar situation to Connor.

2015 draft class, last regular season points:

Screenshot_20180818-230041~2.png

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is the proper place to discuss it, so I'm moving my list over here:

1. McJesus
2. Barzal
3. Eichel
4. Werenski
5. Provorov

6. Marner
7. Aho
8. Boeser
9. Rantanen
10. Connor

11. Chabot
12. Hanifin
13. DeBrusk
14. Konecny
15. Beauvillier

16. Meier
17. Roslovic
18. Strome
19. Nutivaara
20. Dermott

21. Kaprizov
22. Carlo
23. Niku
24. Zacha
25. Fischer

26. Samsonov
27. Eriksson Ek
28. Cirelli
29. Guhle
30. Dunn

The last ten I don't know too well.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
What do you mean with that 95% thing? About watching Aho or putting Farmer O'Connor ahead of him?

Connor had a great season, but he also got decent TOI and best possible linemates: Scheifele & Wheeler. For sure that's lot better situation that Marner and Aho found themselves. Rantanen had similar situation to Connor.

2015 draft class, last regular season points:

View attachment 135201

About watching Aho. Maybe fans of an eastern conference team would get to see him more. As a Jets fan, twice a year isn't all that much.

I said in my post that it's for future projection, not just last year's stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad