2015 NHL redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In a 5 second google, Marner had 39 points in his final 41 games, Barzal had 49 in 41, or something close to that. Just quickly counted out 41 games and added it up. 17 PPP for Marner, 15 for Barzal.
Jan 24th was the exact date he was moved to another line. He was one of the highest scoring players after that date.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Win some lose some but they are pretty happy with a great playoff performer in Debrusk, and stealing McAvoy and Pastrnak. They drafted so well they shared the wealth.

I get that, but the Bruins would be overwhelming favorites for the next 2-3 cups if they took Barzal Connor and DeBrusk.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I get that, but the Bruins would be overwhelming favorites for the next 2-3 cups if they took Barzal Connor and DeBrusk.

Where does he play at center? Not ahead of Bergeron, no one in the league does that. More then likely not ahead of Krejci either, so he would not be a checking 3rd line center. Besides I take DeBrusk over Connor any day, he is out playing him and every other rookie so far in the playoffs. He is double the next rookie in pts with 8 total, playing 4 minutes less then Connor. Zboril was the consensus best dee available and they needed dee. They also needed wingers, they addressed that. Easy cherry picking after the fact. By that then every GM that passed on Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron should be lambasted. Add they also got Carlo in the second, who should have gone in the 1st by his play now.

Not excusing them for passing on one guy, it happens. There never was a clear reason why but hindsight is always 20/20. Barzal does not get near as many points with the Bruins, they play a more 200 foot game. Marchand finally got on the power play last year, lol. Coulda, woulda, shouda is nice but they drafted positions and character. So easy now to look at 3 of the best and lets put them in the spots, before it was Chabot, Konecny, heck next year maybe some one else rises - god forbid we right the whole draft off this early. This narrative will never change, sure would be nice to have the crystal ball everyone here has after the fact.

Edmonton would love a do over on Yakapov, as I would have liked to have Barzal. Like I said they have drafted excellent the last few years and are actually set for the next 10 years nicely. They did have 6 (SIX) rookies playing in the 1st round. They did by a pretty good margin win the rookie pts total this year. They can actually draft over all better then Bob Mackenzie reading a list someone else did the research on and not stumble over his words.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Where does he play at center? Not ahead of Bergeron, no one in the league does that. More then likely not ahead of Krejci either, so he would not be a checking 3rd line center. Besides I take DeBrusk over Connor any day, he is out playing him and every other rookie so far in the playoffs. He is double the next rookie in pts with 8 total, playing 4 minutes less then Connor. Zboril was the consensus best dee available and they needed dee. They also needed wingers, they addressed that. Easy cherry picking after the fact. By that then every GM that passed on Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron should be lambasted. Add they also got Carlo in the second, who should have gone in the 1st by his play now.

uhh.. you sure about that?

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

The Kings could have drafted Getzlaf, Perry, and Bergeron in the 1st round in 2003, instead of Brown, Boyle and Tambellini. It's a shot in the dark basically.

Reactions: FanSince72

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
^the most annoying type of poster: Mr. hindsight.

So, at the draft, THE NIGHT OF THE DRAFT, everyone ripped on Boston for not taking Barzal. Is that hindsight to you?

The Isles brass nearly shit their pants when he was stil;l there at #16. let's not act like this is a hindsight moment, it's not. They messed up the moment they didn't take Barzal with any of the three picks. I understand other teams passing because you usually only get 1 pick and don't wanna crew up, but Barzal was easily BPA.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
So, at the draft, THE NIGHT OF THE DRAFT, everyone ripped on Boston for not taking Barzal. Is that hindsight to you?

The Isles brass nearly **** their pants when he was stil;l there at #16. let's not act like this is a hindsight moment, it's not. They messed up the moment they didn't take Barzal with any of the three picks. I understand other teams passing because you usually only get 1 pick and don't wanna crew up, but Barzal was easily BPA.

To be fair, the Bruins have $14M+ spent on the center position between Bergeron and Krejci. Both with NMC and both are a huge part of the team's leadership core. Bruins needs at the time were Defense and wingers more than anything. The team was drafting players who can play with those two, not someone to replace them.

DeBrusk has already filled the hole Lucic left when he was traded at that draft so at least one of the picks is already contributing to a playoff team. This is the difference between a rebuild and a retool so to speak. If Zboril and Senyshyn (who were only first year pros this year) don't turn into anything than the criticism will be fully justified.

While Barzal is an exciting player, he doesn't exactly possess the two-way qualities asked from the B's system. That run-and-gun style the Islanders play doesn't really compare at all to the structured two-way play the Bruins emphasis from their players so perhaps it wouldn't be as much of a fit as it is in New York.

Honestly, this is not me trying to put down Barzal he's really fun to watch. His skating game is one of the best I've seen all year in the few games I got to see and if I am being honest it would have been cool if he could have replaced Krejci going forward. Just don't think that was ever going to happen, or even possible.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
To be fair, the Bruins have $14M+ spent on the center position between Bergeron and Krejci. Both with NMC and both are a huge part of the team's leadership core. Bruins needs at the time were Defense and wingers more than anything. The team was drafting players who can play with those two, not someone to replace them.

DeBrusk has already filled the hole Lucic left when he was traded at that draft so at least one of the picks is already contributing to a playoff team. This is the difference between a rebuild and a retool so to speak. If Zboril and Senyshyn (who were only first year pros this year) don't turn into anything than the criticism will be fully justified.

While Barzal is an exciting player, he doesn't exactly possess the two-way qualities asked from the B's system. That run-and-gun style the Islanders play doesn't really compare at all to the structured two-way play the Bruins emphasis from their players so perhaps it wouldn't be as much of a fit as it is in New York.

Honestly, this is not me trying to put down Barzal he's really fun to watch. His skating game is one of the best I've seen all year in the few games I got to see and if I am being honest it would have been cool if he could have replaced Krejci going forward. Just don't think that was ever going to happen, or even possible.

More of this. On an insanely negative goal differential team Barzal ended up even or a +. He was also the only center on the team with positive possession numbers. Barzal is not a bad defensive player.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

The Isles brass nearly **** their pants when he was stil;l there at #16. let's not act like this is a hindsight moment, it's not. They messed up the moment they didn't take Barzal with any of the three picks. I understand other teams passing because you usually only get 1 pick and don't wanna crew up, but Barzal was easily BPA.

White, Connor, Svechnikov were also in the discussion. I thought they'd take White.
But it's ridiculous to play this game. Boeser went at 23. Fans would've lambasted them if they reached for him at 15 also.
As far as Barzal... it never then, nor since, bothered me that the Bruins never picked him. The Isle are allowed to have nice things. Whatever. Also - teams chase slightly under-sized playmaking centres in the first and second rounds every year and they very rarely pan out. For every Claude Giroux (and Barzal looks on that track) or David Krejci there's dozens of examples of these kinda players never being able to fit into the league.

Also. I still honestly think that Zboril is going to have a better NHL career than Chabot. I just think we have to wait another year for him.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
More of this. On an insanely negative goal differential team Barzal ended up even or a +. He was also the only center on the team with positive possession numbers. Barzal is not a bad defensive player.

Didn't say he was bad, just said he isn't expected to do as much as he would on the Bruins.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
There's nothing particularly unsustainable about Barzal's production. And just a simple eye test should tell you that he's one of the most offensively talented guys in the league.

Barzal was NYI's #2 center last season, right? If Tavares moves on, will Barzal put up similar numbers next season as the new #1 center?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
but the Bruins look like ****ing idiots right now.....

Boston is one of the best teams in the NHL and a Stanley Cup favorite. The team also has a strong prospect pool. I'd say that the organization is not looking like ****ing idiot right now.

As for Barzal, yes, the Bruins blew it by passing on him. On the other hand, Debrusk appears to have been a great pick and Zboril was a logical choice, given that he was the best-available defenseman left at #13 and the Bruins wanted D. Senyshyn is the wildcard. I really hope that he turns out to be a 25-30-goal scorer for Boston in order to temper the sting of not having Barzal in the Bruins fold.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Stop the "Barzal put up points because of the Isles run and gun style" talking point. Just STOP. The reason he put up points is because he is incredible at getting and possessing the puck. He is also great at keeping the other team pinned in it's own end. If you constantly possess the puck in the other team's end it's going to lead to goals. That's why Barzal is so amazing.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I know this is an old, long thread and I didn't read it all. But given the choice between losing Aho or Hanifin, there's not a single Canes fan who's giving up Aho first. He's literally the only untouchable in the organization (along with maybe Necas) and there's virtually no disagreement about this.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad