Speculation: 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The most interesting part of this draft will be do the Leafs take Marner (the little guy) or the Dman they need in Hanifin?

Probably turn it off after I see them screw it up. ;)

If Hanifin falls to the Canes their D prospect pool will be insane. As good, if not better, then the Pens.

I know one thing all the teams picking top 20 are looking at picking up a decent player.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The yotes have to go with Duclair- Marner- Domi... it just makes to much sense.

I really like Provorov even though Hanifin may have more upside. Pro reminds me a little of Josi. He can do dynamic things but he just lets his sense take over and it makes life easy for him. He reminds me of OEL when he was drafted too. You can't really knock 1 part of his game. He even takes the body well.

Crouse is just really interesting to me. He's huge but he hunts pucks and plays such an active game. I almost want to say he plays like Kreider but he plays with more sense. Kind of like Blake Wheeler but tough. He's pretty unique IMO.

I think the Leafs go with Strome. There are a lot of players compared to Ronnie Francis but Strome is almost a clone... right down to the elite sense and ugly stride.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Took part in a mock draft on reddit.

I was part of the Penguins. Was outvoted and they traded Kapanen and Dumoulin to Philly for Brayden Schenn and Manning. Also, traded Wideman for 2nd and 5th.

Just...

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
If we could get into the first round and get Svechnikov, I'd be ecstatic. All this talk about his bad defense is unfounded as well. I've seen him live at least 10 times this year, and his defense is actually quite good. I wonder how many scouts just see that he's a scoring russian, and assume he doesn't play defense.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Took part in a mock draft on reddit.

I was part of the Penguins. Was outvoted and they traded Kapanen and Dumoulin to Philly for Brayden Schenn and Manning. Also, traded Wideman for 2nd and 5th.

Just...

What the...... Were Flyer fans involved in the Pens management on that draft or what? :confused:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If we could get into the first round and get Svechnikov, I'd be ecstatic. All this talk about his bad defense is unfounded as well. I've seen him live at least 10 times this year, and his defense is actually quite good. I wonder how many scouts just see that he's a scoring russian, and assume he doesn't play defense.

Flames are probably selecting him at 15 if hes still there then. That could change though depending on Kylington dropping.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think he's to big and skilled to drop that far.

I would kill to get Timo Meier. He'll probably go in the middle of the first but he's going to be really good.

At 46 I wouldn't mind Beauvillier. Really active Ryan Callahan type. Third lines are so important and he can be that glue that buzzes after goals are scored.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Saw it a few pages back, what are the chances Filip Ahl will be available at #46? Everything I read about him sounds awesome, just didn't know if there was any info on him other than what's readily available online.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Saw it a few pages back, what are the chances Filip Ahl will be available at #46? Everything I read about him sounds awesome, just didn't know if there was any info on him other than what's readily available online.

He should be available around that pick. Pretty much everything about him has been well documented since he's likely to go early in the draft. For the Pens he would be a perfect fit I think (pretty sure I read an interview where he said the Penguins are his favorite team and he likes to model him game off of Geno). He's nearly NHL ready (could probably use another year in the SHL or AHL first) and would look great on Geno's wing to create some space for him.

I really don't think there is a good comparison for him in the NHL right now. He's really good at skating, never takes shifts off, is always one of the first ones in on the puck, good along the boards and in front of the net. He could probably work on his shot a bit, but he would be the power forward that Geno has been missing since Malone left.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ahl played only 15 SHL games last season. 16 for his career to date, if I see his stats correctly.

As a bigger winger, I would think he's more of a long-range prospect than someone who can step in within a year's time.

Though there are always exceptions...

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He played in a lot of different leagues/international games this year. He was all over the place. He just turned 18 last week so he was still eligible to play in the J18 all year. The reason that I say he is close to NHL level is because he is already NHL sized and he plays a solid possession game along the boards that shouldn't change much in the NHL. I haven't heard if is willing to play in the AHL if he is drafted or if he will go back to Sweden, but I think one more year and he at least has a shot to make the team.

He is probably likely to grow a bit more as well since he is only 18. He could top out at around 6'5-6'6 230lbs or so if he keeps growing. With that size and how well he skates he should be ready sooner rather than later.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's already outgrown his Dad so while another inch or two is possible I think he's more than likely done growing height wise.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Speaking of dad's, another one of Fitzgerald's kids is eligible for this years draft. Undersized right shooting D projected to go in the later rounds.

Fitzy's been here for what, 8 years? So the boy would have spent some time in Pittsburgh. Maybe calling him a hometown kid would be pushing it, but GMJR did mention taking a D in the draft to restock, so to speak.

Over/Under on the Pens taking him?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Speaking of dad's, another one of Fitzgerald's kids is eligible for this years draft. Undersized right shooting D projected to go in the later rounds.

Fitzy's been here for what, 8 years? So the boy would have spent some time in Pittsburgh. Maybe calling him a hometown kid would be pushing it, but GMJR did mention taking a D in the draft to restock, so to speak.

Over/Under on the Pens taking him?

Nah I doubt it, Ray Shero decided to take Ryan Segalla over Ryan Fitzgerald in the 4th round in 2013. I would have preferred Fitzgerald but...

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JRs (abd our) wish to get back into the 1st round seems unlikely.
But i hope we at least get a 2nd and/or 3rd rounder at least. Following the draft is one of my favourite things, and having just 1 pick in the first 4 runds will be pretty lame.

Theres enough talent in this draft for it to be some good players to be had in the 2nd/3rd round,

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
JRs (abd our) wish to get back into the 1st round seems unlikely.
But i hope we at least get a 2nd and/or 3rd rounder at least. Following the draft is one of my favourite things, and having just 1 pick in the first 4 runds will be pretty lame.

Theres enough talent in this draft for it to be some good players to be had in the 2nd/3rd round,
I agree, unless we do something foolish, there's not much chance of getting a first this yr. I would be watching to see who drops out of the first and then try to trade up to get him....seems like the best we can hope for. imo

penguins2946*

Trade Kunitz for a 2nd round pick and draft Spencer and Sprong in the 2nd round (trade up with a 2016 3rd if needed). I feel like those 2 will both become very good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad