Speculation: 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I still can't get over the BCHL part. Are we the first franchise in the history of franchises to use a first round pick on someone from the BCHL? Serious question.

Still, trading him for a draft pick (at least right now would be pretty dumb).

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
It's not the same principle. We're giving up on a young player who isn't a good fit in exchange for another young player. Draft picks are always a risk, but it really just depends if the Pens are going to give Bennett a legit shot or not. If he has another season like this past one then his value will drop significantly. Bennett hasn't been given a true opportunity, and that's the organization's fault, but considering that why would we keep him if we're probably just going to treat him the same way next year? Do we think the Penguins are going to just change their minds on him when it's pretty clear they don't think that highly of him? Bad asset management is letting a UFA like Niskanen walk. Trading a young guy who might not pan out for a 2nd is not bad asset management.

Look at Sven Baertschi, he was the 13th pick in the 2011 draft, and he just got traded for a 2nd. He's very talented too, and the Flames are taking a risk on that prospect developing. I wonder why they just didn't keep him?

IIRC Baertschi asked out and wouldn't sign in CGY

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
I still can't get over the BCHL part. Are we the first franchise in the history of franchises to use a first round pick on someone from the BCHL? Serious question.

Still, trading him for a draft pick (at least right now would be pretty dumb).

Kyle Turris was 3rd overall in 2007. And Brett Hull came from the BCHL, but the 6th round of the Mario draft.

It's... rare. Bennet was the last one selected in the first round, Turris before that, and before that I'm not sure.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
Kyle Turris was 3rd overall in 2007. And Brett Hull came from the BCHL, but the 6th round of the Mario draft.

It's... rare. Bennet was the last one selected in the first round, Turris before that, and before that I'm not sure.

Some quick research shows the following, since 1970:

1971: Jason Marshall
2004: Travis Zajac, Kris Chucko
2007: Turris
2010: Sunshine

We're ******* visionaries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is a trick statement.

Bylsma never would've allowed Shero to draft Drouin. Soff.

Also, I think Johnston would use him properly, Drouin is a kid that is confident and sometimes he needs to shut up and not say some stuff, but for the most part, Johnston isn't the reason why some guys are gone or whatever.

But hey, if people want to keep using that as their crutch, cool.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
We picked Bennett roughly where he was ranked, not sure why anyone is complaining about that. Kreider was picked in a similar spot and from a lower level of hockey.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
JR should've been trading his 2nds for the likes of Baertschi and Connolly instead of Winnik.

But that would of been the smart thing to do. All these three months of Winnik and other useless veterans have always proved to be worth it though.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Are the Flames really the organization we should be taking a note from?

I would say yes, but in the case of Sven Baertschi he basically lost his spot in the lineup because of the emergence of Johnny Gaudreau, plus the signing of Mason Raymond, breakout campaign of Jiri Hudler as a true scoring leader, etc. How many similarly skilled wingers can a team have?

He basically lost his job based on the numbers game. Who are the young wingers HERE to replace Beau Bennett? We don't have any.

It's comparing apples to oranges, really.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would say yes, but in the case of Sven Baertschi he basically lost his spot in the lineup because of the emergence of Johnny Gaudreau, plus the signing of Mason Raymond, breakout campaign of Jiri Hudler as a true scoring leader, etc. How many similarly skilled wingers can a team have?

He basically lost his job based on the numbers game. Who are the young wingers HERE to replace Beau Bennett? We don't have any.

Actually, some guys have yet to get their chance. Some of these players that are doing well were later picks, and the Pens find trouble sticking with their higher picks.

Maybe they should see what they have with these other guys they keep in the minors.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah but he was a 5th round pick I believe.

Because he was slow as **** and no one respected the BCHL (where a few HHOF'ers got their start at some point as well).

He's still not incredibly fast but he's above average with his speed now, he was always a puck possession demon.

Also so severely overrated, it's absurd when you talk to Stars fans (I have to tell my gf to **** multiple times when she goes on and on about how he's the best in the NHL).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At least we didn't draft a guy from Jr. B....like Atlanta did with our first from the Hossa trade.

Daulton Leveille or some crap, right? Who did the Flames take with the first the Pens gave up?

It's funny that the 1sts the Pens did throw away, haven't come back to haunt them. Well we'll see who or what the Oilers do with it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If Bylsma or Johnston put Drouin on the fourth line,this place would riot.

Always hilarious how some people can't see a single difference between one team and the another.

Let's see now: one team keeps getting embarrassed EARLY in the spring by always going back to the veteran well, thus not earning the benefit of the doubt for ANY decision the staff makes.

The other team is 3 games away from winning the Stanley Cup. Granted, I think Morrow should be on the bench, but Cooper has EARNED the right to do what he's doing based on how successful his season has been. Right now Cooper can show up to the arena in assless chaps with a whip and as a Lightning fan I'd sit back and say, "Man, they're so close to winning, this may be the smart thing to do."

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

If you lose you job because of Mayson Raymond the definition of journeyman bottom 6 winger then that all you really need to know.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Marcus Vela from Langley of the BCHL is a player that should be on the Penguins watchlist. Good size at 6'2" 200+ lbs, supposedly a great character player, hits, backchecks, and has some offensive chops. Committed to UNH in the fall. Might be available at our 5th round pick...if we dont trade it. He really sounds like an ideal 3C.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
tried to stay away from this thread (picking where we do) but couldn't do it. so the guy I would like to target is d. gurianov rw....plays in Russia so he could drop to us. seems like a good fit for geno. imo

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
the kid is a shooter.....good size....good in corners....and players in Russia tend to drop . (get picked lower than they are rated) so the value is there. seems like a good fit to me.

I'm not talking about if he is good or not. I'm talking about how every Russian player ever mentioned is always followed with, "he'd work well with Geno." Just because somebody is Russian doesn't mean he has to immediately be awesome with Geno. I don't give a damn what nationality somebody is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad