2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I lump Barzal in there ahead of Marner and even with Strome, but I know this is not the consensus opinion (I also admit I've payed a lot less attention to hockey this season than last, and my viewing has been extremely limited).

Haven't seen enough of Barzal; however his reputation is that of a slick playmaker. We need that element desperately at C.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Barzal. He's been highly regarded since his minor hockey days, and I think he gets overlooked because he plays in the WHL rather than the OHL.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
It is very debatable that Hanafin is a clear-cut BPA over StroMarner - I certainly think Marner is the third best player in the draft behind McD and Eichel. And it is far easier said than done in trading a D to address a need.

Maybe we differ in our evaluations; but I agree with you 100% that we should take BPA and disregard positions.

Hanafin looks to be somewhate better than even Ekblad at this point.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe we differ in our evaluations; but I agree with you 100% that we should take BPA and disregard positions.

Hanafin looks to be somewhate better than even Ekblad at this point.

Oof, I couldn't disagree more with that, lol. I'd rate Hanafin 3rd easily behind Ekblad and Jones at the same pre-draft point. Although it is harder to project Hanafin because of how different the college game is.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would, if we can be assured to pick Hanafin with our own pick;

Hanafin @ 3 is a much better pick than Marner or Strome. I don't think we can pass that up. If we can even the positions up by moving OEL for a franchise center (along with assumed resigning of Yandle), we should.

I've only seen Hanifin twice for BC and at the WJC. His mobility is extremely impressive. All compass smoothness that's out of this world for a D of any size, let alone a kid as big as him. Moves the puck pretty well, has good positioning. Pretty smart.

Nothing really flashy or eye popping, though. I don't see a kid who's ever going to be anyone's best player. Jay Bouwmeester I see. Brayden Coburn I see. Not so much Ekblad or Pietrangelo, though. I haven't seen him flash that dynamic, take a game over ability that elite D have. He's got tools. He could end up doing that.

There's a lot to like.

I think both Strome and Marner are more impressive prospects and I think both will have bigger impacts at the NHL level. I wouldn't hesitate before choosing either over Hanifin. I wouldn't be tempted at all to take Hanifin over either.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oof, I couldn't disagree more with that, lol. I'd rate Hanafin 3rd easily behind Ekblad and Jones at the same pre-draft point. Although it is harder to project Hanafin because of how different the college game is.

I don't believe Hanifin has been close to as impressive as Jones or Ekblad in their draft years. I think it's a fairly wide margin.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Getting bumped from 3 to 4 is not a big deal. If we somehow tank to 2 and then get bumped to 3, I will be devastated.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Getting bumped from 3 to 4 is not a big deal. If we somehow tank to 2 and then get bumped to 3, I will be devastated.

The year we drafted OEL we were looking like we might draft at three but ended up sixth. That didn't turn out too bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Matt Duchene would've been nice to have too. There are only 3 places I would've like to pick in that draft. 1st, 3rd, or 6th.

I think many on this board had Kane, Schenn and MPS ahead of OEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad