2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Figured we should start a separate thread about the upcoming draft. Not a testimonial on my feelings on the current Coyote roster. Just with the CHL starting it would be could to have a forum to discuss non-Coyote prospects who may be of interest in the next draft.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Caught a exhibition game last night between Calgary HItmen and Regina Pats.

Came to watch Pavel Kamacaukov with Calgary as Redline has him in top two rounds. Honestly he didn't really do much to me to highlight him as a top 60 pick. Exhibition I know but he just seemed very average and didn't stand out.

One player who is on my radar screen as a potential mid-round gem is Sergey Zborovsky with the Pats. Fresh off the plane from Russia (yes I know) and I doubt he understands a lick of english but he showed some poise with the puck early on, got some shots on net, made some nice passes, plays the right side. He's a guy that I'm looking forward to watching again as he adjusts to North America. Got talking with one of the players fathers during the game and he commented that he's incredible shape as well. During the physical testing they had to get him to stop doing situps once he hit 300. I think the second best on the team was 100.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Excited that Zacha is heading to the OHL for more head-to-head comparisons with McDavid, Konecny, Marner, Strome and Crouse. I wish Eichel would've broken commitment and opted for the OHL, too.

I read somewhere that Marner has sprouted up to six feet. I find that hard to believe. He looked smaller than Domi at the Memorial Cup.

I hope Erie trades Strome. Everyone complains about how terrible McDavids winger options are going to be this season. Just think about poor Strome! The Otters should trade Strome for a winger for McDavid, and that way each kid gets some help. Haha. It's too bad Karlsson didn't come over.

If Zacha gets to play center full-time, mynhldraft.com has 7 centers listed in our range (5th overall to 12th overall) in Colin White (5th), Matthew Barzal (6th), Pavel Zacha (7th), Kyle Connor (8th), Travis Konecny (9th), Dylan Strome (10th), and Mitch Marner (12th).

Dauphin being our best C prospect (and by a long-shot) is unacceptable.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I hope Erie trades Strome. Everyone complains about how terrible McDavids winger options are going to be this season. Just think about poor Strome! The Otters should trade Strome for a winger for McDavid, and that way each kid gets some help. Haha. It's too bad Karlsson didn't come over.

Is Burakowsky headed to the A? A dominant season with McDavid might be really good for his offensive development.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Maloney knows that C's come at a premium. I'm thankful that he paid that premium in the 2nd round of the last two drafts. Now I'm hoping the first round lines up so that BPA is a scoring C.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Excited that Zacha is heading to the OHL for more head-to-head comparisons with McDavid, Konecny, Marner, Strome and Crouse. I wish Eichel would've broken commitment and opted for the OHL, too.

Eichel couldn't go to the OHL even if he wanted to. He is QMJHL property. Saint John owns his rights. US territorial rights are divided up amongst the 3 CHL leagues. QMJHL gets the New England states, WHL gets the Midwest and pacific states and OHL gets pretty much everything else.

He would have to pass QMJHL waivers to be eligible for another league. 18 teams wouldn't pass on that kind of talent.

rt

May 13, 2004
Somewhere in my mind I knew that. Haha. I think it was the rumor that Eichel would only go the CHL route if a move to the OHL could be orchestrated, allowing him to go head to head with McDavid.

rt

May 13, 2004
If Zacha gets to play center full-time, mynhldraft.com has 7 centers listed in our range (5th overall to 12th overall) in Colin White (5th), Matthew Barzal (6th), Pavel Zacha (7th), Kyle Connor (8th), Travis Konecny (9th), Dylan Strome (10th), and Mitch Marner (12th).

Zacha has been playing C in the pre-season according to Sarnia fans. This is a good sign. The last center we drafted in the first round was Kyle Turris. Before that? Jakub Koreis.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Zacha has been playing C in the pre-season according to Sarnia fans. This is a good sign. The last center we drafted in the first round was Kyle Turris. Before that? Jakub Koreis.

I know I was shocked we went winger. Larkin struck me as a perfect Dave Tippett guy but I get the size/skill package that Maloney cites as the reasons they selected Perlini despite his less than stellar last half of the season.

rt

May 13, 2004
Wasn't Domi listed as a center when we drafted him? I thought he centered Horvat in London too.

He played center occasionally but mostly wing. He didn't play with Horvat a whole lot, when he did it was as Horvats wing. I've never seen Horvat play anywhere but center.

rt

May 13, 2004
http://www.theqmjhl.ca/article/vid-otron-and-rogers-to-webcast-qmjhl-games/163827

QMJHL games are being streamed for free until Sep 30. I might try to catch some Chicoutimi once Dauphin is back there. Nicolas Roy sounds like a really intriguing prospect. I'm sure our scouts will get very familiar with him through the year.

I will never be able to catch a live stream, but if I could, I'd really want to see Daniel Sprong of Charlottetown. Usually listed 8-15 on most draft boards, and is a goal scoring winger.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Maloney knows that C's come at a premium. I'm thankful that he paid that premium in the 2nd round of the last two drafts. Now I'm hoping the first round lines up so that BPA is a scoring C.

We should simply take BPA. It's hard to predict team's needs in 5 years, and the make up of the team might shift significantly (if not coaching, or maybe even management). Take BPA also does not place unrealistic expectations that draftees are supposed to step into signficiant NHL roles in the first 12 months, no matter the draft position.

rt

May 13, 2004
With Max going back to London, likely to line up on Mitch Marner's wing, I expect big things from both kids. Marner is supposed to go anywhere from 7th-14th. Right in our range. Wouldn't be surprised at all if we draft him and finally get that top end center prospect.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With Max going back to London, likely to line up on Mitch Marner's wing, I expect big things from both kids. Marner is supposed to go anywhere from 7th-14th. Right in our range. Wouldn't be surprised at all if we draft him and finally get that top end center prospect.

They play Kitchener tonight (MacInnis). Looking forward to it. Dvorak scored last game.

rt

May 13, 2004
They play Kitchener tonight (MacInnis). Looking forward to it. Dvorak scored last game.

Will Domi be in the lineup? Keep an eye on Marner as he stands next to his teammates. He was listed at five ten last season but was seemingly slightly shorter than Domi. He's reportedly had a big growth spurt and is supposedly over six feet tall. I've got my doubts. Let us know what you think.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

We need skill, but do we need it in the form of a small Tanguay-type winger? When we already have Domi?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I like Marner. I also like some of the larger centres that are projected in the teens. As long as our top pick plays center I'll be happy.

I re-watched a memorial cup game recently and Marner was quite small. That was only in early June. The reports that he has grown to 6'0 can't be true.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Interesting that McKenzie's list doesn't have Konecny in the top 10. It's going to be a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad