GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft (We're still not Boston) - Rounds 2-7

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Welp, Development Camp, then free agency, then Rookie Camp, then training camp, then season. Still got 2 and a half months before rookie camp starts, right after that, training camp. I'm counting down the days.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Here's a decent highlight package from Wilkie in the USHL this past season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Jc_wXFYCU

Looks like he has a very good shot. Skating and hands look good too. Some potential here for sure.

I feel like our scouting team tries to over justify the draft picks. We don't tend to grab known skill.. Look at Toronto this draft. They grabbed scoring every time almost. Wtf

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I feel like our scouting team tries to over justify the draft picks. We don't tend to grab known skill.. Look at Toronto this draft. They grabbed scoring every time almost. Wtf

It's no surprise we've never drafted a legit scorer.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Pro tip: Just click anywhere on the page, except the ad. Doesn't have to be on the "X".

worst part is when i go on hfboards.com, i quickly click a link because i think the page has loaded and then the ad suddenly pops up and it registers as if i clicked on the ad and then it takes me to the appstore. So damn annoying, and happens everytime

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Samuel Montembeault is a great pick. Really skilled goalie that picked up a lot of momentum after a rough start. Big guy with athletic abilities. Had a sub-par playoff though. I feel he is a guy that will always rebound big after failing. He has good potential. He can really stop the puck.

It's interesting to see all former Armada/Montreal Juniors goalies have gotten an NHL taste. Back in the days Jake Allen was highly-touted and is now almost an NHL starter. Jean-François Bérubé will get a chance to be LA's backup next season. Étienne Marcoux got an AHL contract from Anaheim and has solid potential. Now Montembeault gets drafted 3rd round by FLA and is their top G prospect. So given history you can expect a goaltender that has been well prepared by his junior team.

He's also a late birthday and can be placed in the AHL in 2016-17. Excellent pick. He is widely considering as a top-5 goaltender in the Q for the upcoming season.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
wilkie looks very impressive, scored about as many goals as some of the other ushl players that were taken higher too. why'd he drop so much? size? i think he's our sleeper pick in this draft, curious to see him in action at rookie camp, definitely seems like he has potential.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
wilkie looks very impressive, scored about as many goals as some of the other ushl players that were taken higher too. why'd he drop so much? size? i think he's our sleeper pick in this draft, curious to see him in action at rookie camp, definitely seems like he has potential.

I agree. A lot of his goals are snipes, which is excellent to see in any league.

I also like Denis Malgin. Not much footage of him but his stats are impressive at his size. Maybe he's a sleeper.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I agree. A lot of his goals are snipes, which is excellent to see in any league.

I also like Denis Malgin. Not much footage of him but his stats are impressive at his size. Maybe he's a sleeper.

Malgin is a guy I thought someone would take in the third. Very impressive at the world juniors. Good speed, great hockey sense in all three zones, Grimaldi-like hands and more #character.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I guess since I know nothing about the guys we drafted from 3-7, it's safe to assume they are all busts? :sarcasm:

The draft is weird, typically the top 3 picks have the best chances of becoming NHL caliber players but after that it is really just how they develop with the team and if they are put in too soon in the NHL. Some first rounders don't even play a game in the NHL, just depends on how the club treats their prospects. Most of these guys are so young too, and need a few more years in junior to really understand how it is to play against bigger and more skilled players. That's why players drafted in the later rounds (7th, 8th, 9th back when they had that many rounds) can be just as good as players in the first round.

Sorry if that was too much information for a simple question :laugh:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I guess since I know nothing about the guys we drafted from 3-7, it's safe to assume they are all busts? :sarcasm:

Consider the fact that Trocheck is currently the only non-first round draft pick of the Tallon era that found their way to the NHL and thrived there. Yes, it's safe to assume. Grimaldi could be next.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Consider the fact that Trocheck is currently the only non-first round draft pick of the Tallon era that found their way to the NHL and thrived there. Yes, it's safe to assume. Grimaldi could be next.

Well considering it takes most draft picks 5 years to even make the NHL, and Tallon started here 5 years ago, that's not a surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad