GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft (We're still not Boston) - Rounds 2-7

Jan 19, 2006
Detroit often gets credit for the drafting success in the later rounds. It's all luck folks, otherwise if they knew those players were going to be that good they wouldn't have waited until the 5th to 7th rounds.

Very true.

Give Detroit credit for hearing about these kids and taking a flyer on them, but there is no way Detroit knew Datsyuk would be that good.

Then again, as the saying goes, luck is when preparation meets opportunity. They have a great scouting and development system in place. They look for players that fit in their organization and develop them properly.

They don't always hit on their picks, but if they increase their hit rate even a couple of percentage points it gives them a big advantage.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
While you both pretty much said the same thing, I can't argue with their development success. I think you are going to see a new paradigm going forward. I don't see guys sauteing in GR till they are 23 or 24 anymore. With the GR coach moving into Babcock's job, Pulkinen will get top 6 minutes this year. Also, Larkin was coaxed away from Michigan this year and that is rather telling. He may start out in GR, but unless the guy falls flat on his face I see him as the first call up and I think he is good enough to stick once he gets there. Mantha will be in GR this season, but I expect to see rapid improvement from last year, and he too should challenge for a roster spot the following year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad