2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Gee thanks for calling out one of the few posters worth reading on these boards.

All Grant was pointing out that just basing your opinion on reading up info about the prospects on the internet adds zero to the discussion. It's not your opinion, it's just regurgitating someone else's opinion, might as well just quote the article and state according to so and so, this prospect looks good. But then to argue with people that actually have seen the prospect play and disagree with them is dumb.

No offense here but this is an AMATEUR forum. The opinion given will obviously be amateur. If pros come in here they can't act like they own the place. There needs to be a respect for everyone's opinion no matter how strong they are :)

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Here's my finalized mock-draft

1. Edmonton Oilers: Connor McDavid
2. Buffalo Sabres: Jack Eichel
3. Arizona Coyotes: Mitch Marner
4. Toronto Maple Leafs: Noah Hanifin
5. Carolina Hurricanes: Dylan Strome
6. New Jersey Devils: Mathew Barzal
7. Philadelphia Flyers: Lawson Crouse
8. Columbus Blue Jackets: Ivan Provorov
9. San Jose Sharks: Zachary Werenski
10. Colorado Avalanche: Pavel Zacha
11. Florida Panthers: Mikko Rantanen
12. Dallas Stars: Kyle Connor
13. Los Angeles Kings: Colin White
14. Boston Bruins: Jakub Zboril
15. Calgary Flames: Thomas Chabot
16. Edmonton Oilers: Timo Meier
17. Winnipeg Jets: Nick Merkley
18. Ottawa Senators: Travis Konecny
19. Detroit Red Wings: Oliver Kylington
20. Minnesota Wild: Evgeni Svechnikov
21. Buffalo Sabres: Ilya Samsonov
22. Washington Capitals: Jeremy Roy
23. Vancouver Canucks: Jansen Harkins
24. Toronto Maple Leafs: Daniel Sprong
25. Winnipeg Jets: Brock Boeser
26. Montreal Canadiens: Joel Eriksson-Ek
27. Anaheim Ducks: Paul Bittner
28. Tampa Bay Lightning: Denis Gurianov
29. Philadelphia Flyers: John Roslovic
30. Arizona Coyotes: Jacob Larsson

Ugh. If Tampa ends up with Gurianov I might kick some puppies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The sexiest center around where we pick is Tommy Novak. He's got pretty much all the offensive skills you want in a top flight center. The question is, is he going to elevate his competitiveness and will he want to get into the traffic areas?

I'd take the gamble.

Honestly, I'm still a fan of the trade down.. you take a shot at Novak or J-FK, then grab a quality D man in the second half of the 2nd round.

I only saw him at the Junior A tournament but I ended up really liking Novak too ( And signing his praises here) . Always trying to create something, just constant motion . It's a bit of a weaker tournament of course and him, Boerser and Connor were clearly above the competition but still, I saw some real pro upside there. Projectable frame too, he could end up in the 6ft1, 190 range when he's done growing. He's one of the reasons why I'm heavily in the trade down camp.
Ugh. If Tampa ends up with Gurianov I might kick some puppies.

NOT the puppies !! :O

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
No offense here but this is an AMATEUR forum. The opinion given will obviously be amateur. If pros come in here they can't act like they own the place. There needs to be a respect for everyone's opinion no matter how strong they are :)

Where is it stated this is an AMATEUR forum?

If it was your opinion, Grant would respect it, but it's not your opinion, you are plagiarizing someone else's opinion and claiming it as yours. You cannot have an opinion on a player you have never seen before, you are just stealing someone else's opinion.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

If it was your opinion, Grant would respect it, but it's not your opinion, you are plagiarizing someone else's opinion and claiming it as yours. You cannot have an opinion on a player you have never seen before, you are just stealing someone else's opinion.

What is this ? Academia ?

I stated that I drew my opinion from mutliple sources like Red Line and FC. How about you read my posts where I credit them before making hasty accusations. Thanks.

Anyways that isn't even draft related so I don't know why I even bother answering you.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'd rather trade for another 1st in 2016 than 2015, after the top 11 or so this draft seems kind of meh.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I'd rather trade for another 1st in 2016 than 2015, after the top 11 or so this draft seems kind of meh.

After the top 11 there is a steep drop off that almost seems like from 11 to 50 or so you will get similar prospects.

I am with you on this one Kobe.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

This is what Bob Mckenzie does, gathers his opinions from multiple scouts then forms his own. Even though I don't usually agree with Richiebottles, he's right on this one.

After the top 11 there is a steep drop off that almost seems like from 11 to 50 or so you will get similar prospects.

I am with you on this one Kobe.

There's a drop after the top 11 in every draft, what's the point, Gurianov, Eriksson-Ek, Carlo seem like pretty good prospects to me!
Picked up McCarron and Scherbak in the mid 20's in the last 2yrs, think we'll keep our picks thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
This is what Bob Mckenzie does, gathers his opinions from multiple scouts then forms his own. Even though I don't usually agree with Richiebottles, he's right on this one.

I thought RB posting style seemd familiar

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Except Bob McKenzie gets his opinions from NHL scouts, not free reports available online.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
There's a drop after the top 11 in every draft, what's the point, Gurianov, Eriksson-Ek, Carlo seem like pretty good prospects to me!
Picked up McCarron and Scherbak in the mid 20's in the last 2yrs, think we'll keep our picks thank you

Exactly!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think speed upfront is needed.

As good as McCarron and Scherbak have potential to be, they aren't speedy wingers.

But Roslovic is :P

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I like Juulsen at our spot. Saw a lot of him while watching Scherbak.

But a lot of people here are down on Harkins, why? I admitedly have not seen much of him. He just turned 18, and he carried a bad team on his back, a little like Scherbak last year with the Blades.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Scherbak isn't slow + McCarron has very decent footspeed for his size.

People think Scherbak is slow because he's more of an East-West player. If he uses his speed in a straight line he's got some intimidating speed against Junior players, but he's probably average for a Pro.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
It's never his opinion. He ranks players based on the scouts list. If he likes Eichel better than McDavid, he'll still have McDavid first because that's what scouts thinks.

It's OK to say that X player seems to be good based on multiple scouting reports that we read online. I do it all the time. I'm just not pretending that a player is better than the other based on what I've red if I've never seen the player play. Sometimes, it's just the way to say it...

- From what I've gathered, I have the feeling that White will be a better player than Roslovic.
- White is plain better than Roslovic. He can't produce despite playing with two young stars.

See...

I respect the opinion of everyone, and I value what Grant says higher than pretty much everyone else, and I can tell when people are posting their opinions based on what they've red or what they've seen...but I don't like when someone is pretending that what he's saying based on scouting reports is the more accurate thing on this board...

Last edited:

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Can't we put aside the squabbling and get back to the draft? If you're so thin-skinned that RB offends you, simply ignore him.

His main point--however it was originally expressed--is that the Habs would be better off swinging for the fences with their 1st-rounder. I, for one, agree. But all home run swings are not created equal. The specific player is still crucial and not every risk is a risk worth taking.

Arguably both Sherbak and Galchenyuk were home run swings in recent memory--both are players with significant upside that were chosen on the basis of a small sample size. We're still waiting to see how they work out. This year, Guryanov is very much of the same ilk and for that reason alone the Habs will probably shy away from him. What's more, unlike the other two, Guryanov is still playing in Russia with all the additional risk that entails. Both Sherbak and Gachenyuk had already crossed the pond prior to the draft. Finally, there seems to be an increasing likelihood that Guryanov will no longer be on the board at 26th.

Then, who will be left amongst the high risk high reward choices? Sprong? Kylington? Yan? Bracco? Ahl? The first two may be already gone, the latter three may be too much of a stretch in the first-round. Trading down may be a way to pick someone like Yan or Bracco or Beauvillier as well as a less-flashy choice at LD such as Gabriel Carlsson. Unfortunately to trade down effectively, you need another team that really wants to trade up and grab a particular player.

I guess the low down is: wait on your pitch. If you get it, take your best cut. If not, just try to get on base. And remember, in the NHL Entry Draft sometimes home runs come on check swings.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Columbus is definitely a suitable trade partner to move down. They might want to get a late first to draft local boy Jack Roslevic who's expected to be picked around our pick. 34 + 68 for the 26 + 2016 third round pick.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Columbus is definitely a suitable trade partner to move down. They might want to get a late first to draft local boy Jack Roslevic who's expected to be picked around our pick. 34 + 68 for the 26 + 2016 third round pick.
Moving down could be interesting in our situation, but I don't think they'll do it. At 26, they will have a player in mind that they will very much like. Letting 8 more teams draft before you (moving down with Columbus) means their player will most likely be off the board at their new spot. All that to get another pick? A case could be by moving down with Buffalo, but I think Columbus is too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad