Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | It's The Final Countdown: TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
TBH, the realistic board at 16 seems very overrated at the moment. The likes of Roy, Svechnikov, Merkely, Ek, etc look no better than the usual mid-first round fare.

If Timo Meier were to fall somehow, that's another story, but I don't see why any of these guys are particularly exciting.

I completely disagree. Picking 16 in this draft is like a top 10 pick in any other draft. I mean a guy like Merkely put up 90 points this year on a team that went to the memorial cup. You could argue picking him over Jake Virtanen last year.

Svechnikov is a beast and could still go top in this year.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If the Oilers keep the pick, I'm preparing myself for them to pick one of the following, based on nothing but hunch:

Chabot
Guryanov
Meier
Roy
Samsonov
Svechnikov
Zboril

Meier - doubt he falls, but I think he'd be right up Chiarelli's alley.

Samsonov - wouldn't be thrilled, but I understand it. Pick him because you think he'll be awesome, but don't pick him because you need a goalie. And when you do pick one, pretend you won't see him for 5-6 years minimum, because that's what it could take.

Guryanov - wouldn't surprise me if he's gone by 16 anyway.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I do get the sense that it will take a faller to unseat Svechnikov.

I completely disagree. Picking 16 in this draft is like a top 10 pick in any other draft. I mean a guy like Merkely put up 90 points this year on a team that went to the memorial cup. You could argue picking him over Jake Virtanen last year.

Svechnikov is a beast and could still go top in this year.

I mean, I would take Virtanen over Merkley based just on their draft years and I didn't have Virtanen in the top-10 last year. 6'1 goal scorer beats midget playmaker any day of the week, especially when the playmaker is a challenged goal scorer himself, on the best team in the WHL.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I do get the sense that it will take a faller to unseat Svechnikov.

I mean, I would take Virtanen over Merkley based just on their draft years and I didn't have Virtanen in the top-10 last year. 6'1 goal scorer beats midget playmaker any day of the week, especially when the playmaker is a challenged goal scorer himself, on the best team in the WHL.

I disagree, I actually think Virtanen was one of the most overrated players of last years draft and should not have gone in the top 15. He's big and can shoot but don't really see his game translating to the pros. Somewhat disappointing season this year for him. Also Merkley is far from a miget.. He's a stocky player as well and drives pretty hard to the net on a regular basis. Size could be an issue but not many are too worried with him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I disagree, I actually think Virtanen was one of the most overrated players of last years draft and should not have gone in the top 15. He's big and can shoot but don't really see his game translating to the pros. Somewhat disappointing season this year for him. Also Merkley is far from a miget.. He's a stocky player as well and drives pretty hard to the net on a regular basis. Size could be an issue but not many are too worried with him.

I agree that Virtanen was overrated and maybe shouldn't have gone that high, but Merkley in this range is nothing special and nothing recent drafts haven't had at this range.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I agree that Virtanen was overrated and maybe shouldn't have gone that high, but Merkley in this range is nothing special and nothing recent drafts haven't had at this range.

I'm not saying that he's some incredible top 5 talent but the kid just put up 27 points in 19 WHL playoff games. It's not very common for draft eligible players to put up 90+ points in the WHL. Hell, Eberle only had 75 in his draft year.

Merkley outscored Scherbak and Klimchuk this year and both were 1st round picks.

This is a strong draft year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
TBH, the realistic board at 16 seems very overrated at the moment. The likes of Roy, Svechnikov, Merkely, Ek, etc look no better than the usual mid-first round fare.

If Timo Meier were to fall somehow, that's another story, but I don't see why any of these guys are particularly exciting.

From what little I saw of Svechnikov, he seems like a guy that will take a beating to get into the tough areas. Add in skill and size and I like what he brings to the table.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm not saying that he's some incredible top 5 talent but the kid just put up 27 points in 19 WHL playoff games. It's not very common for draft eligible players to put up 90+ points in the WHL. Hell, Eberle only had 75 in his draft year.

Merkley outscored Scherbak and Klimchuk this year and both were 1st round picks.

This is a strong draft year.

Am I the only one concerned about Merkley's low goal totals? It is very hard to find a prospect who became a successful top 6 forward who had his goals per game ratio, even players who were hugely skewed towards being playmakers over goal scorers like Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ales Hemsky, and Scott Gomez, still had more goals then him. A pure playmaker from the wing is a rarity, I'm thinking he's going to end being a high end 3rd line winger, with great work ethic.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Didn't see it posted on the main page. Does anyone know if Sportsnet will be streaming the draft for mobile users somewhere? I have no access to a TV Friday night and can't imagine missing it.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Didn't see it posted on the main page. Does anyone know if Sportsnet will be streaming the draft for mobile users somewhere? I have no access to a TV Friday night and can't imagine missing it.

Partially answered my own question with the Sportsnet Now app, unfortunately you have to be subscribed to one of the select 4 networks to sign in an use it for streaming, which I am not (Sasktel Max user). Are there any other alternative streams for mobile users?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So...just got info that Oilers are looking at a Russian for 16th if we don't trade the pick :)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So...just got info that Oilers are looking at a Russian for 16th if we don't trade the pick :)

Well if your info is correct then the possible pool of players might be:

Svechnikov
Samsonov

Provorov will not be there.

It won't surprise me at all if we take Samsonov.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Just get the feeling, from everything we're hearing/reading, that the top 5 will go like this:

1. EDM - McDavid
2. BUF - Eichel
3. ARI - Strome
4. TOR - Marner
5. CAR - Hanifin

Just feels like 2013 when in the days before the draft, you could just tell the top 4 was going to go down the way it did and wasn't a surprise when it happened.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just get the feeling, from everything we're hearing/reading, that the top 5 will go like this:

1. EDM - McDavid
2. BUF - Eichel
3. ARI - Strome
4. TOR - Marner
5. CAR - Hanifin

Just feels like 2013 when in the days before the draft, you could just tell the top 4 was going to go down the way it did and wasn't a surprise when it happened.

I am leaning toward Arizona trading down, but that looks pretty good and accurate.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Am I the only one concerned about Merkley's low goal totals? It is very hard to find a prospect who became a successful top 6 forward who had his goals per game ratio, even players who were hugely skewed towards being playmakers over goal scorers like Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ales Hemsky, and Scott Gomez, still had more goals then him. A pure playmaker from the wing is a rarity, I'm thinking he's going to end being a high end 3rd line winger, with great work ethic.

Completely agree. Wingers need to pot at least 30 in their draft year to have star potential, imo. Much more room in junior to make nice passes, but goals are goals. I want scorers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Just a reminder:

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the order of selection for the 2015 NHL Draft, June 26-27 at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla. The first round will be conducted on Friday, June 26 and broadcast live by NBCSN in the United States and Sportsnet and TVA in Canada, beginning at 7 p.m., ET.

Rounds 2-7 will be held on Saturday, June 27, beginning at 10 a.m., ET, with NHL Network providing live coverage to viewers throughout North America.

I assume we'll be starting a separate draft thread for tomorrow evening? I wouldn't mind a separate thread for each round, but I can't remember what we usually do.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I've put together a chart of some media mock drafts. Might be missing some guys - let me know and I'll add theirs:

| Craig Button | Sam Cosentino | Gare Joyce | Jeff Marek | Damien Cox | Kevin Allen
1. EDM|Connor McDavid|Connor McDavid|Connor McDavid|Connor McDavid|Connor McDavid|Connor McDavid
2. BUF|Jack Eichel|Jack Eichel|Jack Eichel|Jack Eichel|Jack Eichel|Jack Eichel
3. ARI|Dylan Strome|Dylan Strome|Mitch Marner|Dylan Strome|Dylan Strome|Dylan Strome
4. TOR|Mitch Marner|Mitch Marner|Ivan Provorov|Noah Hanifin|Ivan Provorov|Noah Hanifin
5. CAR|Noah Hanifin|Ivan Provorov|Noah Hanifin|Mitch Marner|Noah Hanifin|Mitch Marner
6. NJ|Pavel Zacha|Noah Hanifin|Dylan Strome|Pavel Zacha|Mitch Marner|Pavel Zacha
7. PHI|Ivan Provorov|Pavel Zacha|Mikko Rantanen|Ivan Provorov|Mikko Rantanen|Mikko Rantanen
8. CBJ|Zach Werenski|Zach Werenski|Zach Werenski|Lawson Crouse|Zach Werenski|Ivan Provorov
9. SJ|Lawson Crouse|Lawson Crouse|Matt Barzal|Matt Barzal|Timo Meier|Lawson Crouse
10. COL|Mikko Rantanen|Mikko Rantanen|Lawson Crouse|Zach Werenski|Lawson Crouse|Zach Werenski
11. FLA|Kyle Connor|Kyle Connor|Kyle Connor|Timo Meier|Pavel Zacha|Kyle Connor
12. DAL|Timo Meier|Timo Meier|Pavel Zacha|Mikko Rantanen|Matt Barzal|Timo Meier
13. LA|Travis Konecny|Travis Konecny|Travis Konecny|Kyle Connor|Kyle Connor|Matt Barzal
14. BOS|Matt Barzal|Matt Barzal|Colin White|Colin White|Evgeni Svechnikov|Jakub Zboril
15. CGY|Colin White|Nick Merkley|Jansen Harkins|Nick Merkley|Travis Konecny|Nick Merkley
16. EDM|Ilya Samsonov|Evgeni Svechnikov|Gabriel Carlsson|Thomas Chabot|Ilya Samsonov|Ilya Samsonov
17. WPG|Evgeni Svechnikov|Jakub Zboril|Oliver Kylington|Evgeni Svechnikov|Jacob Larsson|Denis Guryanov
18. OTT|Jakub Zboril|Joel Eriksson-Ek|Dennis Yan|Travis Konecny|Jeremy Roy|Travis Konecny
19. DET|Joel Eriksson-Ek|Jacob Larsson|Evgeni Svechnikov|Joel Eriksson-Ek|Joel Eriksson-Ek|Joel Eriksson-Ek
20. MIN|Paul Bittner|Colin White|Paul Bittner|Ilya Samsonov|Thomas Chabot|Brock Boeser
21. BUF|Oliver Kylington|Jake DeBrusk|Ilya Samsonov|Jansen Harkins|Jake DeBrusk|Oliver Kylington
22. WSH|Denis Guryanov|Gabriel Carlsson|Jakub Zboril|Jeremy Roy|Denis Guryanov|Evgeni Svechnikov
23. VAN|Brandon Carlo|Denis Guryanov|Brock Boeser|Jakub Zboril|Jakub Zboril|Thomas Chabot
24. TOR|Gabriel Carlsson|Thomas Chabot|Nick Merkley|Jake DeBrusk|Jansen Harkins|Paul Bittner
25. WPG|Nick Merkley|Brock Boeser|Daniel Sprong|Noah Juulsen|Nick Merkley|Jeremy Roy
26. MTL|Brock Boeser|Jack Roslovic|Thomas Chabot|Daniel Sprong|Daniel Sprong|Jansen Harkins
27. ANA|Jake DeBrusk|Brandon Carlo|Timo Meier|Paul Bittner|Paul Bittner|Brandon Carlo
28. TB|Jacob Larsson|Oliver Kylington|Jordan Greenway|Denis Guryanov|Brock Boeser|Jake DeBrusk
29. PHI|Mackenzie Blackwood|Ilya Samsonov|Filip Chlapik|Brock Boeser|Colin White|Jacob Larsson
30. ARI|Thomas Chabot|Jeremy Roy|Mackenzie Blackwood|Brandon Carlo|Oliver Kylington|Colin White

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Who do you have if the Oilers are picking 16? Assuming the Oilers cannot trade the pick.

I am still hoping for Svechnikov or Roy. I am also really hoping they don't take Samsonov at 16. WAY too high to take a goalie given the players that will be available at that pick.

Of course a trade for a good D is still my top preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad