Pre-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I'm a big J.Roy fan. I know he isn't a great skater but his passing, hockey IQ, defensive play is on Provorov level IMO. He has that cerebral style in him but he can just pinpoint passes and might have the best breakout pass in the draft. His defence is pretty underrated, he's not one-dimensional. He pushes forwards outside and can pokecheck it off their sticks even when they are protecting it. The weaknesses are his skating but do you take the risk is the question here.

I agree he's a bit passive defensively but he knows his skating is weak and can't afford to attack because he can't retrieve the puck if the forward dumps it in. If he can improve it, he has #1 D-man potential. I have a feeling we'll agree to disagree but IMO hockey smarts aren't always things you can teach especially in such a fast pace game. Players who can slow the game down like J.Roy aren't too common and those players are usually the best in the league.

It's not really his neutral zone defensive play, or the play at the lines that i have as much of an issue with...so much as his own zone defensive play. I think that's where the issues really manifest most with him.

Something that i think could be exacerbated by the conference/division we play in...teams that thrive on establishing that heavy down low cycle game and imposing zone time on the opposition. That's the sort of stuff i find Roy struggles most with.

Something that can probably be improved...to some extent. But it worries me a bit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pilon at 23.

Thoughts? Haven't watched him play yet.

Nah.

He's an okay defensive prospect, but watching Brandon...playing on an extremely deep d-corps alongside a top-5/10 pick flatters him a fair bit i think.

No issue with taking him if we had our 2nd...but at 23 there are just too many other better defensive prospects to think he'd be the best available...even if you were to force a defence pick.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Roslovic is my favorite player in this draft. He may play on a line with Tkacuck, and Matthews, but was often the guy how was feeding them sick passes that lead to scoring chances. During the U18 i noticed that he often plays around the permitter, this may be because of the international size ice, but rarely did i see him drive the puck to the net. His passing skill may be one of the best in the draft, and that combined with the fact he can finish when given the chance and i see him as a 6 top winger

If we draft him, I hope it would be because we move down(see post with all the teams with multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks) Potentialyl Roslovic could be the guy who is going to make a career out of feeding Virtanen, which would allow McCann, Cassels, Horvat to play their defensive games, and chip in on offence when the time is right. Instead of having to generate all the offence for that line

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I know he has daddy issues, but look how DeAngelo turned out for Tampa last draft...maybe take a look at Sprong?

88 points in 69 games is very good production.

I would stay away imo. DeAngelo scored 71 in 51 as a defenseman, much, much better production that allowed Tampa to take a risk on him relative to his production and issues. I would still wouldn't draft him to be honest.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know he has daddy issues, but look how DeAngelo turned out for Tampa last draft...maybe take a look at Sprong?

88 points in 69 games is very good production.

I've actually seen a few mock drafts that have the 'Nucks picking Sprong at 23...kind of reminds of a 'swing-for-the fences' pick like Ho-Sang though......big upside, but also high bust potential.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I think one of the most difficult positions to be in when drafting, is having so few picks that it becomes imperative for every draft pick to work out. That seems to be the history of the Canuck's drafting in a nut shell.

Hoping that Benning will be able to trade some players off this tired roster for picks.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157407

Has anyone heard anything about this guy? Is ranked mid to late rounds, but definitely has some intrigue (not to mention all the meat and potatoes you can eat).

Big powerforward, who is a great pk guy, and has a good shot. However his skating needs work(especially his first few strides), and won't provide much offence. I could see him becoming like a Brian Boyle if everything works out for him, and he'd be an excellent 4/5th rounder imo. Hope this helped.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think the Canucks should trade down rather than trade up.

1st 23rd overall for 33rd overall + 61th overall from edmonton

Draft Chlapik @ 33rd overall and Pilon ad 61th overall

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If we can get 2nd/3rd rounders. I wouldn't mind trying to go for some Russians like Guryanov or Dergachyov. Big Russians forwards, it seems like more and more are coming over. Tryamkin is supposed to come over here so maybe that'll be a reason to come along with the economy going down in Russia.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think one of the most difficult positions to be in when drafting, is having so few picks that it becomes imperative for every draft pick to work out. That seems to be the history of the Canuck's drafting in a nut shell.

The anti-Anaheim method. I didn't mind us being low on picks when we were contending but getting bumped in the first round by the Flames with one top-100 pick is just sad. I've taken far less interest in the draft year basically because of this.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've actually seen a few mock drafts that have the 'Nucks picking Sprong at 23...kind of reminds of a 'swing-for-the fences' pick like Ho-Sang though......big upside, but also high bust potential.

I've seen it mocked that way too...but i don't get it at all.

If Gillis were still at the helm, it would make a lot of sense. But for Benning, i just don't see Sprong as a guy who passes the "plays the right way" test. With the specific holes in Sprong's game, the attitude questions, the red flag with his father. Just doesn't fit.

Has a ton of dynamic talent, but he's just not a guy that plays the way Benning wants to build this team. And personally, i don't really mind that.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

From a few mock drafts I've seen, I see us taking a Dman, usually in the form of Carlo or Kylington
Although I have seen Sprong picked around us

Personally, I'd feel inclined to take a swing on Kylington, before I would Sprong

But I am leaning pretty heavily in us drafting Zboril if he falls to us now

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I predict that the Canucks will draft Travis Konecny, Horvat's second cousin.

Add to that, I could see a Virtanen-Horvat-Konecny line being the Canucks future #1 line once the Sedins retire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad