Pre-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
1. Name Vey captain, Dorsett and Sbisa alternates.
2. Win cup.
3. Draft McDavid and Eichel.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
2. Win cup.
4. ???
5. Profit.

1.)Buy KHL team. Offer McDavid 25 million a year to play for KHL team.
2.)Teams pass on McDavid.
3.)Canucks draft McDavid letting him cash in on untaxed millions in Russia before coming over to the canucks
4.)??
5.Everyone Profits. Well except our owner but who cares he's rich anyways and im sure McDavid will make that money back in jersey sales/endorsements.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
1.)Buy KHL team. Offer McDavid 25 million a year to play for KHL team.
2.)Teams pass on McDavid.
3.)Canucks draft McDavid letting him cash in on untaxed millions in Russia before coming over to the canucks
4.)??
5.Everyone Profits. Well except our owner but who cares he's rich anyways and im sure McDavid will make that money back in jersey sales/endorsements.

1) start then old WHL up again where draft was year younger I believe, draft whoever we want.

2) except money and power for brilliant idea

3) get key to city

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Watched the Blazers vs Cougars game tonight. A few thoughts:

- Blazers goalie Ingram is unreal and has been all season long even with a weak Blazer defense. Would love to use a mid round pick on him. He's going to be good.

-Harkins did not impress me at all. Would be disappointed if we draft him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Watched the Blazers vs Cougars game tonight. A few thoughts:

- Blazers goalie Ingram is unreal and has been all season long even with a weak Blazer defense. Would love to use a mid round pick on him. He's going to be good.

-Harkins did not impress me at all. Would be disappointed if we draft him.

Harkins had a pretty bleh weekend all around.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He looked uninterested in even playing. Poor lazy passes, and didn't work hard at all.

How did the rest of the team look? They just clinched a playoff spot last night, so there wasn't much to play hard for other than play spoiler for Kamloops. Still not an excuse, but just curious.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Where does everyone have Harkins ranked? I asked this last thread but it reached 1000 posts before anyone could really reply to it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Really?

I saw him like 2 weeks ago. Against Calgary. He looked amazing.

I think it was just an off game. He looked just ok all weekend, but was still battling hard and making good plays. I haven't watched him enough, and wish I went to more Cougars games this year to form an opinion on him.

Booshami

Apr 19, 2012
Vancouver
Looks like we're getting the 18-22 pick. I would like to see the Nucks target a D-Man such as Kylington or Roy. If not, I would be pretty happy if Meier fell to us or picking Svechnikov. I wonder if Benning would try to go for a top 10 pick, but I don't know what he can offer.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Where does everyone have Harkins ranked? I asked this last thread but it reached 1000 posts before anyone could really reply to it.

Somewhere between 20-30th I believe, probably just an off couple games , happens to everyone. But personally other then him being a local kid he's kind of meh. A lot better options IMO, Kylington & Svechnikov are my top 2 picks that could possible be available to us. Meier too but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone before us.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
2. Win cup.
4. ???
5. Profit.

v8ccqht.jpg

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Looks like we're getting the 18-22 pick. I would like to see the Nucks target a D-Man such as Kylington or Roy. If not, I would be pretty happy if Meier fell to us or picking Svechnikov. I wonder if Benning would try to go for a top 10 pick, but I don't know what he can offer.

We wouldn't have enough to move up that high. Except for maybe Lack. a couple spots up might be plausible tho. Lack, Markstrom, Jensen , Shinkaruk & depth players are our only trade assets really not sure how valuable they are. Hasn't sounded like Benning has scouted Svechnikov at all unfortunately , but I know he's seen Carlo, Boesser & Novak, not sure who else but I'm not really a fan of any of those guys.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'd be happy with Harkins at 18-20 :dunno:

We'll likely pass on someone amazing and people will freak out. Just like every year.

And of course, the year after that prospect proves everyone wrong.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Somewhere between 20-30th I believe, probably just an off couple games , happens to everyone. But personally other then him being a local kid he's kind of meh. A lot better options IMO, Kylington & Svechnikov are my top 2 picks that could possible be available to us. Meier too but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone before us.

Probably around where I'd have him, and where I've seen him regularly ranked. I wouldn't select him personally, seems kinda risky, but could also be a regret to not select at that point in the draft.

Would like to know more about him though. I should've went to more games so I could've gave a solid opinion.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Probably around where I'd have him, and where I've seen him regularly ranked. I wouldn't select him personally, seems kinda risky, but could also be a regret to not select at that point in the draft.

Would like to know more about him though. I should've went to more games so I could've gave a solid opinion.

Aren't the Cougars in the playoffs?

Go watch some playoff games. I remember when they went to the playoffs with I think Big Buff? CN was nearly full it was awesome.

And Poge had those sick bubble pads or what ever.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Thoughts on Bittner? Is he good or is he the product of playing with Bjorkstrand and Petan?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Aren't the Cougars in the playoffs?

Go watch some playoff games. I remember when they went to the playoffs with I think Big Buff? CN was nearly full it was awesome.

And Poge had those sick bubble pads or what ever.

Yeah they clinched on Friday. And I'll be at the playoff games. Yeah when Byfuglien was here, those were the glory years. CN Centre, then Multiplex, was packed every night and a tough barn to win in.

Cougars are fun to watch. Morrison, Witala, Pochiro, and Harkins up front. Ty Edmonds in goal. Some good drafted players and draftees to watch.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

For me, i know i was discussing a lot of my thoughts on Harkins with some others in the previous thread. When i've seen him, it just doesn't feel like his play really lines up with his production in an easily projectable way for me.

Personally, i've got Harkins as a bubble-1st/2nd guy. Though it's hard to say, as there are still a bunch of Euros that i'm still struggling to place due to lack of exposure. Somewhere in that range though.

Just not a guy i'd be thrilled about taking in the range we're likely to end up in. It's tough...i want to like the "hometown kid" with the pretty excellent production...but on the ice, i just don't love it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We wouldn't have enough to move up that high. Except for maybe Lack. a couple spots up might be plausible tho. Lack, Markstrom, Jensen , Shinkaruk & depth players are our only trade assets really not sure how valuable they are. Hasn't sounded like Benning has scouted Svechnikov at all unfortunately , but I know he's seen Carlo, Boesser & Novak, not sure who else but I'm not really a fan of any of those guys.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume Benning hasn't scouted Svechnikov at all. Even in person, i'd wager he has. I'd pretty much guarantee he's spent some time scouting him via video.

I've pretty much lost track of all the places Benning has popped up scouting (it's been pretty extensive). But i'd bet Cape Breton was on the dockett somewhere in that well noted QMJHL swing Benning did out in The Maritimes. In the same way he wasn't just scouting Boeser + Novak in Waterloo, but watching them vs Kyle Connor's team when he made his trip to Iowa the other day. Scouts love that stuff, watching top players head to head. It's efficient, and also a nice measuring stick. Same goes for all the OHL top prospects he likely caught while he was out there checking in on McCann, Cassels, Subban, et al a while ago.

Whether or not Benning came away thinking Svechnikov was "the right sort of player" for the Canucks, is another matter entirely...some questions there. But i would absolutely guarantee he's looked at him...probably quite a lot. He wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't...especially for a GM who is very much a self-described "scout at heart".

He's not the sort of GM who is going to leave scouting stones unturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad