Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think I'm back at leaning towards Zboril if he's available at our pick
Otherwise I kind of hope we trade back for picks
The CBJ picks look good
Senyshyn still intrigues me, though I'm unsure of the draft rankings as of late

How are the Aho's doing, anyone ? Both ! Swing for the fences

I feel largely the same on Zboril. The more i look at things and think about the players that might be available lately...the more i come back to hoping that Zboril falls to our pick.

He was the matchup guy that Saint John chased vs top lines. The Ehlers+Meier line, they'd get Zboril out there. That Svechnikov+Lazarev line, they'd be trying to get Zboril out there. Not Chabot. Despite being a "matchup guy", Zboril still posted a better PPG rate than Chabot.

I think Chabot does have the higher "offensive upside" if he can figure it out. If he succeeds, he'll play on the top-PP and he'll be a go-to offensive defenceman for a team...if he can sort out his issues.

Zboril, i think he's gonna be an NHL player...in some capacity. Upside...think, an angrier meaner Hamhuis. Defensive guy who skates well, can move the puck, but probably isn't going post huge point totals most years. Probably staffs a 2nd PP Unit.

Would be thrilled to add that to our prospect pool at our pick.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
How are the Aho's doing, anyone ? Both ! Swing for the fences
I like them both, even tough i don't know have they NHL upside. Swedish defenseman Aho is a good puck movement dman, but very small. I think some similar type Euro-dmen like Sami Vatanen or Kimmo Timonen were better in their ages, but you can never know how those players develop. I think sometime, that Tobias Enström never can play NHL regular but now he is played there over 500 games and scored two time 50 points. I would take Aho prefer like McKenze Stewart example.

Finish forward Sebastian Aho is in my opinion better than those his draft rankings. He played in best team in Finland (Kärpät) and although he was there mainly 3:rd or 4:th line forward, he was better there in playoffs than veterans like Lukas Kaspar or Patrick Davis (both Kaspar and Davis were heathty scratches when Aho was playing). Aho scored SM-Liiga 7:th finalgame game winning goal in 2:nd overtime and next day he go to U18 world championship final and assist there Finland 1-0 goal. He has a good coach (Lauri Marjamäki) in Kärpät and i waiting that next season he played in Finish national team in EHT tournaments. I like his talents more than Finish national team forward Joonas Donskoi in his age for example. Aho has good skating, good shot, good hockey sense and even though he isn't biggest forward, he goes to net.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
if we are drafting a defenseman, just by looking at the rankings, seems like noah juulsen is someone they'd target. nevermind his hockey playing ability (i have no clue), he's from abbotsford and he's a WHL kid.

of course, maybe they'll piss us all off and draft brandon carlo

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I like them both, even tough i don't know have they NHL upside. Swedish defenseman Aho is a good puck movement dman, but very small. I think some similar type Euro-dmen like Sami Vatanen or Kimmo Timonen were better in their ages, but you can never know how those players develop. I think sometime, that Tobias Enström never can play NHL regular but now he is played there over 500 games and scored two time 50 points. I would take Aho prefer like McKenze Stewart example.

Finish forward Sebastian Aho is in my opinion better than those his draft rankings. He played in best team in Finland (Kärpät) and although he was there mainly 3:rd or 4:th line forward, he was better there in playoffs than veterans like Lukas Kaspar or Patrick Davis (both Kaspar and Davis were heathty scratches when Aho was playing). Aho scored SM-Liiga 7:th finalgame game winning goal in 2:nd overtime and next day he go to U18 world championship final and assist there Finland 1-0 goal. He has a good coach (Lauri Marjamäki) in Kärpät and i waiting that next season he played in Finish national team in EHT tournaments. I like his talents more than Finish national team forward Joonas Donskoi in his age for example. Aho has good skating, good shot, good hockey sense and even though he isn't biggest forward, he goes to net.

Thanks !
During the wjc, people raved about Swedish Aho and less so about Finnish Aho
But Finnish Aho did intrigue me more
I definitely wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in later rounds, if he doesn't go super early

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
If you can't get a top D man then go with 2 way talent. Highly regarded 2 way center Colin White. His defensive skills are ridiculous for a forward.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
If you can't get a top D man then go with 2 way talent. Highly regarded 2 way center Colin White. His defensive skills are ridiculous for a forward.

Horvat
McCann
White
Cassels

Shift Gaunce to the wing. Draft White. Best centre depth in the league. Hands down. No bona-fide #1. But no need with that centre depth.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Who are some of the heavier players in this years draft? We really need to build a skilled heavy team with plenty of 200+ pound players if we ever want a chance against Anaheim or LA in this division. Horvat and Virtanen is a good start.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Who are some of the heavier players in this years draft? We really need to build a skilled heavy team with plenty of 200+ pound players if we ever want a chance against Anaheim or LA in this division. Horvat and Virtanen is a good start.

Nick Merkley.

Not very big, but will be able to go through people at the pro level. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the Canucks radar in a big way. Plays like TJ Oshie - a guy we were rumoured to be interested in last offseason.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We don't need any more two way forwards. We need high-end skill or defenders.

Plus, I am against drafting any more players named White.

We need quality NHLers. Doesn't matter if it's a forward or a Dman. They just need to convert. I would be happy with White as a pick. Can play the right wing as well.

Nick Merkley.

Not very big, but will be able to go through people at the pro level. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the Canucks radar in a big way. Plays like TJ Oshie - a guy we were rumoured to be interested in last offseason.

Merkley doesn't play through people though. More of a slick passer that finds soft areas of ice. Or at least, that was my impression when watching him. Have you watched him play recently?

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I've been watching quite a bit of Roy lately and I notice the skill, but something about him seems to turn me off from him. Anyone else get that feeling?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Merkley doesn't play through people though. More of a slick passer that finds soft areas of ice. Or at least, that was my impression when watching him. Have you watched him play recently?

Haven't seen Merkley recently, but when I have his strength was noticeable. Seemed really good in tight spaces and doesn't get knocked around.

Maybe size will be more of an issue in the NHL, but I wouldn't bet on it.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I vote for Daniel Sprong, looks like Bure

daniel_sprong_ep.jpg

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I've been watching quite a bit of Roy lately and I notice the skill, but something about him seems to turn me off from him. Anyone else get that feeling?

Yea he wasn't very impressive at the U18's. I think it will be a mistake drafting him. Much rather have Chabot, Carlo and some of the Second round defenders than Roy

Now Carlo from some reason reminds me of Shea Weber, Not quiet sure why but I believe he won't turn out to be one of those "useless" physical defencman who can't produce any offence.

I usually don't compare players until after there +1 year but something about Carlo is telling me he's going to be a good one

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I don't see the Merkley = Oshie comparison. Maybe...Oshie minus the overt physicality and speed.

I like Merkley, he's tenacious and has pretty terrific vision as a passer. He's no wallflower. But he's not as physical or so inclined to run through people as Oshie.

Yep. I've been saying it for a while. He's a terrific PP operator and has very noticeable ability with the puck and great instincts in the offensive end...but i don't really like his defensive game. I find it very passive/reactive. Often find he watches, lets opposing players make a decision, then reacts, rather than closing down options and forcing them into a decision. Gets away with it a lot at the Jr level and at times it kind of looks like "anticipation", but it's something that...for a guy who doesn't have great reach nor the great footspeed/quickness to close on those situations quickly...i think could really get him burned at the next level. Just too many good players in the NHL who will torch you if you give them that kind of time+space to make their own decisions.

For me...i question his real "upside". To me he looks more like a #4/5 who QBs your top-PP unit. Like a rich man's Yannick Weber. Not sure what that's worth. PP ability and offensive zone confidence is a big deal in today's NHL where you need that sort of production out of your back end...but i'm just not a huge fan of that sort of more "niche" player on the back end, personally.

To frame it another way...i've seen comparisons to Doughty and Keith with J.Roy due to his "smarts". And for me, that's a tough thing to suggest. When i break it down...even if he is as smart/savvy/confident a player as Doughty or Keith (i'm skeptical but that's an easily contested evaluation)...he's still far less rangy, more "compact" physically and lacking the superb elite skating skills those guys possess that allow them to be as effective as they are.

Still a good prospect, but i've progressively had him slide down in my preferences all year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The Swedish Aho seems extremely talented...but i'd just have a really hard time convincing myself to draft a 5'9"ish over-age defenceman from Europe who isn't absolutely blowing the doors off of everything offensively. Especially for the sort of team they're trying to build here. :dunno:

How would you guys rank the 3 Q dmen?

Which 3? :D

Zboril.
Chabot.
Carrier.

???

;)

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Maybe. :laugh:

Same.

I've seen him in 2 games. Seemed completely invisible.

Yea he wasn't very impressive at the U18's. I think it will be a mistake drafting him. Much rather have Chabot, Carlo and some of the Second round defenders than Roy

Yep. I've been saying it for a while. He's a terrific PP operator and has very noticeable ability with the puck and great instincts in the offensive end...but i don't really like his defensive game. I find it very passive/reactive. Often find he watches, lets opposing players make a decision, then reacts, rather than closing down options and forcing them into a decision. Gets away with it a lot at the Jr level and at times it kind of looks like "anticipation", but it's something that...for a guy who doesn't have great reach nor the great footspeed/quickness to close on those situations quickly...i think could really get him burned at the next level. Just too many good players in the NHL who will torch you if you give them that kind of time+space to make their own decisions.

For me...i question his real "upside". To me he looks more like a #4/5 who QBs your top-PP unit. Like a rich man's Yannick Weber. Not sure what that's worth. PP ability and offensive zone confidence is a big deal in today's NHL where you need that sort of production out of your back end...but i'm just not a huge fan of that sort of more "niche" player on the back end, personally.

To frame it another way...i've seen comparisons to Doughty and Keith with J.Roy due to his "smarts". And for me, that's a tough thing to suggest. When i break it down...even if he is as smart/savvy/confident a player as Doughty or Keith (i'm skeptical but that's an easily contested evaluation)...he's still far less rangy, more "compact" physically and lacking the superb elite skating skills those guys possess that allow them to be as effective as they are.

Still a good prospect, but i've progressively had him slide down in my preferences all year.

Glad to see I'm not alone on this thinking.

Well said in your post, biturbo; articulates a lot of my thoughts on Roy as well.

I sort of had a similar cautious feeling with Fleury last draft as well and looks like he hasn't developed as the Canes had hoped. For now I'd prefer for the Canucks to steer clear of him with their 1st (though it's also contingent on who's available).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Yeah, I'm a big J.Roy fan. I know he isn't a great skater but his passing, hockey IQ, defensive play is on Provorov level IMO. He has that cerebral style in him but he can just pinpoint passes and might have the best breakout pass in the draft. His defence is pretty underrated, he's not one-dimensional. He pushes forwards outside and can pokecheck it off their sticks even when they are protecting it. The weaknesses are his skating but do you take the risk is the question here.

I agree he's a bit passive defensively but he knows his skating is weak and can't afford to attack because he can't retrieve the puck if the forward dumps it in. If he can improve it, he has #1 D-man potential. I have a feeling we'll agree to disagree but IMO hockey smarts aren't always things you can teach especially in such a fast pace game. Players who can slow the game down like J.Roy aren't too common and those players are usually the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad