Pre-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I want to draft a big skilled guy, who is an underager. I don't care who it is.

The only trait I care about is skating. Shooting/passing can be learned easier.

arsmaster*

What were Roy and Chabot doing on that last goal? Awful.

Roy had no chance to do anything, Chabot through a 35 foot waist high saucer pass behind him.

Terrible play by Chabot, but you have to take the good with the bad with creative defensman.

Erik Karlsson and PK Subban give the puck away more than anyone, because they always have the puck.

----

Eriksson-Ek has the same sort of face as Kopitar, complete with the bags under his eyes.

He's a good player.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So the Canucks sit at 23rd pick.

Best case scenario - They could end up with the 20th pick... if Minny, Det, and Cgy advance to the 3rd round.

(i'm sure this is old news to this thread.)

Soooo.. Go Detroit!

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
looks good to me

Like a poor mans Barkov

Better hands than I initially thought. Good size too.

Still though, if we pick a forward in the 1st, I'll be inclined to go with Brock Boeser.

The guy simply knows how to finishes. I think this player scores 30+ goals in the NHL.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Eriksson Ek is my pick if we go for a forward. Big, strong, skilled, and has continued to improve his skating ala Horvat. Last year he was a poor skater, but has turned it into more of a strength.

Projection - A meaner Louis Eriksson from his Dallas days

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Better hands than I initially thought. Good size too.

Still though, if we pick a forward in the 1st, I'll be inclined to go with Brock Boeser.

The guy simply knows how to finishes. I think this player scores 30+ goals in the NHL.

(Not "Bo-zer." It's "Besser." Graphemes apply here.)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What were Roy and Chabot doing on that last goal? Awful.

I think that's kind of Chabot in a nutshell. Looks like a really exciting offensive defenceman with the puck a lot of the time, does a lot of really nice creative things with it.

But then there are times when he'll have a sequence like that (or much worse). Makes a brutal decision with the puck, or it's like his hockey brain just completely shuts off defensively. Goes into "panic mode". Does some pirouettes or starts swimming on the ice or wanders off to no-mans-land like he's not really tracking the play at all. Just leaves you watching like...:huh:

Personally, he kind of reminds me of a Tyler Myers "lite". Not quite as tall obviously, but still good sized, has that same sort of range to his play. Can be a real dynamic player offensively. Though he does seem a bit soft for his size to me as well. Question is the same as it's always been with Myers...can you get the "good Chabot" more than the "bad Chabot"? When Chabot is off...he can be really off.

idk. Still worth a shot at the back end of the 1st round with the upside he has imo (though he'll likely go higher). He's still very much just starting to tap into some of that ability...just have to go in knowing that it's probably going to be a real "project". Hope the consistency comes in time. Patience.

A pretty Boom/Bust guy to me though. If he's not developed carefully i could see it going off the rails really badly.

Of the Sea Dogs guys though, i'd take definitely take Zboril before Chabot. May not have quite the same "offensive ceiling", but he's just a smarter more consistent player for me, better defensively, more of a physical edge. Seems like a much higher "floor" to me...and still has plenty of puck-moving ability.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Was looking at the draft order for the second and third rounders here are some teams that have multiple second round picks

Columbus Blue Jackets
34th overall
38th overall
59th overall

Calgary Flames
45th overall
52nd overall
53rd overall

Arizona Coyotes
32nd overall
57th overall

Edmonton Oilers
60th overall
33rd overall

Funny that 3/4 teams are in our division

Edmonton
Depends on if Montreal make it to the third round. 90th overall
88th overall
79th overall

Anahiem
80th overall
84th overall

Columbus
68th overall
69th overall

Islanders
82nd overall
72nd overall

Florida
89th overall
77th overall

Arizona
63rd overall
81st overall

Calgary
76th overall
83rd overall

Again the same 3 teams that have multiple third round picks are in our division

Now my reason for posting this is to show that if we want to keep pace with the rest of the division we are going to have to draft extremely well with the little picks we have otherwise teams like Arizona, Edmonton, Calgary will blow us out of the water in 4-5 years

Also if we want to aquire more picks, these are the teams we should be targeting

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I think I would take 34 + 38 from CBJ for 23.

JB was thinking about performing a similar move with NYI at last year's draft. I'd consider it. How about the picks of Carolina, New Jersey and Boston in between? :naughty:

If management went into full youth-movement mode and traded Vrbata for a 1st, the team's own first for Columbus's two seconds, and found a way to score another second on top of that...

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
JB was thinking about performing a similar move with NYI at last year's draft. I'd consider it. How about the picks of Carolina, New Jersey and Boston in between? :naughty:

If management went into full youth-movement mode and traded Vrbata for a 1st, the team's own first for Columbus's two seconds, and found a way to score another second on top of that...

Here I was trying to figure out which two players we were trading Edler for.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Was looking at the draft order for the second and third rounders here are some teams that have multiple second round picks

Columbus Blue Jackets
34th overall
38th overall
59th overall

Calgary Flames
45th overall
52nd overall
53rd overall

Arizona Coyotes
32nd overall
57th overall

Edmonton Oilers
60th overall
33rd overall

Funny that 3/4 teams are in our division

Edmonton
Depends on if Montreal make it to the third round. 90th overall
88th overall
79th overall

Anahiem
80th overall
84th overall

Columbus
68th overall
69th overall

Islanders
82nd overall
72nd overall

Florida
89th overall
77th overall

Arizona
63rd overall
81st overall

Calgary
76th overall
83rd overall

Again the same 3 teams that have multiple third round picks are in our division

Now my reason for posting this is to show that if we want to keep pace with the rest of the division we are going to have to draft extremely well with the little picks we have otherwise teams like Arizona, Edmonton, Calgary will blow us out of the water in 4-5 years

Also if we want to aquire more picks, these are the teams we should be targeting

For me, Buffalo Sabres are the team to be targeting if you're looking for a trade back.

They've got that #31 pick which is nice, gives you all night to be sure on who you're taking and will be well within the "spillover" range to still get a good pick of the litter in those "late1st/early2nd" type prospects that you may well be looking at with pick #23 anyway. And they've got that second pick in the 2nd round as well. Move back ~8 spots, add a 2nd rounder. That's where i'd be targeting.

Also, Buffalo is a team that's been bad for quite a while and drafted pretty well...as a result, they've got more middling prospects than they know what to do with. I think they're probably a team at the point where moving up for a slight "quality > quantity" upgrade could be very appealing to them. Especially with Tim Murray at the helm who...has a track record of having a guy he wants, and doing everything he can to get them.

At #31 i think you're still talking about a lot of the same guys we're talking about @ #23 anyway...just maybe you don't get first dibs on the cluster.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, there was clearly indicated interest from NYI last year in moving up to our 24th pick for a pair of 2nds. Reasonable to assume knowing that Snow was offering a pair of 2nds to Benning, and the subsequent result...Isles moving up to #28 for Ho-Sang, that was their target. That was picks #35 and #57 for #28, though presumably the same offer for #24 and probably every pick between the two.

For Benning it didn't make sense because McCann was still there @#24 and he wanted him and his taters. If you've got a guy on the board who is a no-brainer pick for you, obviously you stand pat and say, "no thanks Garth".

Last year was a strange draft...no "clear cut" elite top end...but pretty insane depth after that.

This year, it's very much shaping up like there's a bit of a drop-off somewhere right round abouts the Canucks 23rd pick. Lots of people including Benning indicating as much (Bleach Clean posted a board in this thread kind of indicating this as well). If one of the "top-20" prospects on my board drops...i'd be picking them @23. But if things go "worst case" for the first 20 picks or so and it drops off to that "next tier", i'd think a trade-back would be at least as valuable as last year.

And the depth of "high 2nd values" i'd place on players this year is pretty remarkably deep in this draft. Mid-2nd you may well get another guy you had rated as a fringe 1st rounder.

Back end of the 1st in the last draft seemed stronger than this one, but the depth of guys who i could see going anywhere from "late-1st" to "mid-2nd" this year is pretty remarkable (which makes it hurt even more that we don't have our 2nd this year). :( Hopefully that can be rectified.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Guys, let's keep the pick movement scenarios in the Armchair thread. It keeps this thread a bit more focused. Thanks.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
someone on Twitter posted that linden suggested that they were leaning towards pick a d-man

Yeah JB mentioned draftinf a D man since the system is lacking in this area greatly compared to up front and for goalies. Says he will take BPA and will take a defenseman if there is one who they think is BPA.

He mentioned this on the radio interview today

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
someone on Twitter posted that linden suggested that they were leaning towards pick a d-man

Linden has said all along that "all else being equal, they'd like to add a defenceman".

But that really doesn't mean much other than that their board may end up skewed a bit towards blueliners. All else is rarely equal.

It does make a ton of sense to draft a blueliner this year though, with this team's current prospect pool and the extended development curve of most defencemen.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I think I'm back at leaning towards Zboril if he's available at our pick
Otherwise I kind of hope we trade back for picks
The CBJ picks look good
Senyshyn still intrigues me, though I'm unsure of the draft rankings as of late

How are the Aho's doing, anyone ? Both ! Swing for the fences

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

I hope that's not suggesting they're going to draft based on team needs if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad