Pre-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Gallagher Severson...

Funny though that it always points out guys that no one was clamouring for at the time but in hindsight were always "blatant" misses. I like when we get a local kid but only if it is in addition to being the best choice at that spot, not as the driving reason. If it is Barzal then cool because he is obviously a highly talented centre, but I wouldn't want Benning to reach for him because of his local-ness.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
How did the rest of the team look? They just clinched a playoff spot last night, so there wasn't much to play hard for other than play spoiler for Kamloops. Still not an excuse, but just curious.

The rest of the team didn't play bad at all. They worked hard but made tons of garbage passes and turnovers. I just can't see Harkins being a top 6 foward but that's just based on the few games I've seen of him this year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The rest of the team didn't play bad at all. They worked hard but made tons of garbage passes and turnovers. I just can't see Harkins being a top 6 foward but that's just based on the few games I've seen of him this year.

Yeah I think he's a bit risky because if he's not producing he can go quiet. Not sure how strong he is defensively.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Oh Dylan Strome how I wish you figured you complete offensive side in your 18/19 year old season.

I really like the looks of Niagara's Vince Dunn but not until late 20's. Great shot, commands a PP, good skater...a Kieth-lite type D man.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
One of the knocks against our scouts is that they try looking for talent elsewhere and missing kids in their own backyard. They could be trying to rectify that. As least optics wise

I.e Kane, Lucic, Jamie Benn

They should focus on getting the best possible players and not satisfying regional jingoism. Their really isn't any actual real advantage to be had by being based in BC - it's the CHL, every team is going to do their due diligence.

The Lucic/Benn thing frustrates people because they were missing out on BC boys While also drafting badly.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
They should focus on getting the best possible players and not satisfying regional jingoism. Their really isn't any actual real advantage to be had by being based in BC - it's the CHL, every team is going to do their due diligence.

The Lucic/Benn thing frustrates people because they were missing out on BC boys While also drafting badly.

I agree there isn't a real advantage over other teams. Every team with some sort of Junior league in the area has the opportunity watch that league closely if the GM so chooses otherwise they have scouts everywhere.

Do the Canucks have any scouting advantage in the WHL over the Flames or Oilers? Very easy for the GM of those teams to catch games with the Giants/Hitmen/Oil Kings all relatively close by.

To get those Lucic/Benn/Gallagher type picks you have to gamble on a fighter/poor skater/small type plays and hope they pan out. It cool and all that they are from B.C. but you have scout all over the globe and currently the Canucks have a GM actively goes out on the road to scout that you draft the best player possible.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If we walked away with Perron or Subban in 2007 (or both), do you think anyone would give a **** about Jamie Benn?

How in the hell was Jamie Benn an obvious pick?!?

Or Kane, who was 4th overall and we had no chance on.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Drafting players simply because they're from the area is an awful philosophy.

Barzal is a nice prospect. But the likelihood of him being available by the time the Canucks are on the clock is almost nil. It would be healthy to adjust expectations to this reality.

And why are we even discussing him in a thread dedicated to Horvat? As far as I'm concerned, our depth down the middle looks fairly bright with McCann and Gaunce coming up.

I'd agree that the local player philosophy is a bad strategy but I would definitely go with the local boy if he was within our range/the next few players were similar value. Not only from a hockey view point but from a business one it would be a wise move (though I might be alone with this point :laugh:)

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Im hoping we take Svechnikov if he's there. High end skill and ranked a lot lower than he should be because he's russian. It's time we capitalize on the rest of the leagues hate for russian players like Tampa Bay is.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Yes
How dare we up our scouting in bc when we've had a terrible track record, especially for a bc based team

It's not even all about taking us some bc boys
We just need to get better overall with our scouting
You'd think this would be a good thing

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I went to the Rockets /Giants game last night and actually liked Osipov. Seemed like a good reasonably tough defender with good size and skating ability. Was not impressed at all with Benson though. He was a minus 3 in the first period. I didnt see why he is so hyped. Maybe just age and last game.

Good to hear. Pretty much lines up with my impression of Osipov. If we're going to continue scouring the later rounds and such for big tough defensive guys, he's one i wouldn't be upset with later in the draft. Looks to me like there's at least some upside there.

As far as Benson goes...he's still young. He's got a lot of improvement to make next season in his draft year though. Can only ride that bantam/midget hype so far... :D

Been perusing that Rantanen thread on the main board. And thefeebsters YT from the wjc (ps we miss you thefeebster). I like him. I know he's sexy in the top 10 but I think he could slide.

Love this time of year. Chl playoffs next weekend. NHL stretch drive. U18's soon. Exciting.

I just can't see a guy with Rantanen's tools and performance on the "big stage" at the WJCs sliding to a spot where the Canucks have a chance at him. I'd be pretty thrilled if he did though.

Totally excited for the upcoming U18s too. Should be a good one, lot of really interesting guys i'll hopefully be able to get a good look at.

Funny though that it always points out guys that no one was clamouring for at the time but in hindsight were always "blatant" misses. I like when we get a local kid but only if it is in addition to being the best choice at that spot, not as the driving reason. If it is Barzal then cool because he is obviously a highly talented centre, but I wouldn't want Benning to reach for him because of his local-ness.

Yeah, that's the thing with the whole "local" factor. It's gravy. If the best player also happens to be a local kid, that's outstanding. But it's not an attribute to "reach" on or really help you make your decision at all. It's just...a nice bonus if things align nicely like that.

arsmaster*

Tyler benson is a stud. Maybe he's peaked physically but he's a stud.

Put him in Kelowna or Brandon and we're talking about a huge 16 year old season.

Sorry to say it because a lot of this board is lower mainland based but the Giants suck.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Is there any way to catch some Finnish games ?
Wouldn't mind watching some Puljujärvi stuff

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tyler benson is a stud. Maybe he's peaked physically but he's a stud.

Put him in Kelowna or Brandon and we're talking about a huge 16 year old season.

Sorry to say it because a lot of this board is lower mainland based but the Giants suck.

Idk if i'd throw out the term "stud" just yet. He's got a lot of rough edges to polish off.

But that's not exactly uncommon of kids that young playing that big of a role in the WHL. Lots of time still.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
a few points from RS on Kyle Connor
I've seen him a few times live. The player he reminds me of the most is Ryan O'Reilly...except his skating is far better.

They are both the same size. Both very smart. Both have a 200ft game. Both are relentless after the puck when they don't have it. Both are extremely good at using their sticks on the defensive side of the puck. Both have a playmaking lean to their offensive game.

While it's hard for me to say Connor is a legit potential 1st liner like O'Reilly is, I think he has a chance. Especially when you consider how far superior his skating is.

As I'm sure a bunch of you know RS has some great WHL write-ups.

arsmaster*

Idk if i'd throw out the term "stud" just yet. He's got a lot of rough edges to polish off.

But that's not exactly uncommon of kids that young playing that big of a role in the WHL. Lots of time still.

Give him someone other than Joel Hamilton as a linemate I think you're looking at a PPG 16 year old.

He's a really good hockey player, I'm surprised he's not a Center or hasn't be prodded to play there.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Give him someone other than Joel Hamilton as a linemate I think you're looking at a PPG 16 year old.

He's a really good hockey player, I'm surprised he's not a Center or hasn't be prodded to play there.

But according to an unnamed Jake Virtanen thread Linemates is just a bad excuse to not produce...:sarcasm:

I have only seen him once, in a game against the blazers where they lost in SO, but he was their best offensive weapon that game. He had the ability to hold the puck and control the tempo. 1 assist reminded me a bit of Kane, how he just holds the puck as he circles the zone waiting for the play to open up.

arsmaster*

I wouldn't be so quick to assume Benning hasn't scouted Svechnikov at all. Even in person, i'd wager he has. I'd pretty much guarantee he's spent some time scouting him via video.

I've pretty much lost track of all the places Benning has popped up scouting (it's been pretty extensive). But i'd bet Cape Breton was on the dockett somewhere in that well noted QMJHL swing Benning did out in The Maritimes. In the same way he wasn't just scouting Boeser + Novak in Waterloo, but watching them vs Kyle Connor's team when he made his trip to Iowa the other day. Scouts love that stuff, watching top players head to head. It's efficient, and also a nice measuring stick. Same goes for all the OHL top prospects he likely caught while he was out there checking in on McCann, Cassels, Subban, et al a while ago.

Whether or not Benning came away thinking Svechnikov was "the right sort of player" for the Canucks, is another matter entirely...some questions there. But i would absolutely guarantee he's looked at him...probably quite a lot. He wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't...especially for a GM who is very much a self-described "scout at heart".

He's not the sort of GM who is going to leave scouting stones unturned.

Just to add to JB scouting the USHL on the weekend, Novak didn't play.

Boeser scored and was 3rd star in a loss on Friday Night, Connor was 1+1 and 3rd star on Saturday.

I'd be fine with either of these guys. Boeser just scores goals. Toffoli was the same type of prospect.

Glad LA doesn't have a 1st.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I wonder what say, San Jose's plans are for this draft
Unless they miraculously win the lottery, I can see them being a team to trade back...I can see them targetting someone like Svechnikov
If Barzal drops to them, I would look to trading up for the pick
Or maybe I just love the thought of getting Barzal too much (sorry to bring up trade talk haha)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Gallagher and Severson were both guys who were badly wanted by the fan base here and should have been obvious pucks at the time.

Benn not so much. Lucic we had no opportunity to draft as he went earlier than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad