2015 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It takes one team that loves him. Wherever Groulx lands, Carrier could follow. He's a 2nd round talent, and at this point in time, I have a hard time imagining a 0,75PPG D that is even better defensively lasting till the 5th round. Could see him get in the 3rd due to the strength of the draft and the fact that he's 5'11, but early 4th round is a worst case scenario IMO.

Personally, right now with the picks we have, I'd go for Thomas Chabot in the 1st and Guillaume Brisebois in the 2nd.

2015 is the year to go local. As RLR were saying, as many as 24 players could get picked in the first few rounds.

And I'm seen as biased....;) I don't have Chabot in the 1st. Not yet. But I'm a fan of Carrier and any sane team will not let him pass the 3rd round. No way.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I hope Bergevin drafts Nicolas Meloche.

A smooth skating defenceman who can put up points, utilizing his strength behind his shot, and plays with an edge. Has very good awareness on the ice, and notices possible scoring chances before they happen. Very intelligent defensively and makes high percentage decisions in his own end. When at the top of his game, Nicolas Meloche can be a game-changing, physical two-way defenceman. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
While I like Meloche's game and being a RD, I believe the Habs need more size on defence for the future. Especially when considering some of our best forward prospects size, having a bigger defensive corps seems logical, most of the contending teams are drafting bigger defencemen for the future it seems. Brandon Carlo(RD) played really well during the WJHC's for the US team, of course it depends whose available when the Habs pick.:nod:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
While I like Meloche's game and being a RD, I believe the Habs need more size on defence for the future. Especially when considering some of our best forward prospects size, having a bigger defensive corps seems logical, most of the contending teams are drafting bigger defencemen for the future it seems. Brandon Carlo(RD) played really well during the WJHC's for the US team, of course it depends whose available when the Habs pick.:nod:

While size is awalys appealing (and terribly overrated by some...), mobility and speed on the back end is where the game is going.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
To be fair to Meloche he's what, 6ft2, 200 pds ? That's perfect modern dmen size. Strength will not be the biggest potential obstacle for him, mobility will. Seeing him play this week I really came out liking what I saw. He used to remind me a lot of Alexandre Picard from his Halifax days and I had trouble projecting his game in the pros but he's really rounded himself out this year, to the point where he has a chance to be the complete package now. Good two-way puck moving potential.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
While size is awalys appealing (and terribly overrated by some...), mobility and speed on the back end is where the game is going.

According to Gallagher the big Tampa Bay defencemen were really tough to get around, Hedman & Sustr are huge hard hitting Dmen. Maybe if the Habs had a couple like them the Triplet's line would find the going tougher too!:nod:

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I watched the Calgary vs. Brandon game earlier today, and let me tell you, Jérémy Roy has a challenger now for the title of my favourite prospect for 2015. His name is Ivan Provorov. All I can say is wow! Poise is his game. He can speed up or slow down the pace to suit was is required, he can pass it accurately, or go end to end. Check out his goal if you can find it. I don't recall any specific play of his during the WJC, and that's probably a good thing with him being a 17 yo d-man. Like Roy, one could wish that he was a little bigger, but he makes up for it in spades with his high hockey IQ. Unfortunately, like Roy, the Habs will probably have to trade up to have a chance to draft Provorov.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I watched the Calgary vs. Brandon game earlier today, and let me tell you, Jérémy Roy has a challenger now for the title of my favourite prospect for 2015. His name is Ivan Provorov. All I can say is wow! Poise is his game. He can speed up or slow down the pace to suit was is required, he can pass it accurately, or go end to end. Check out his goal if you can find it. I don't recall any specific play of his during the WJC, and that's probably a good thing with him being a 17 yo d-man. Like Roy, one could wish that he was a little bigger, but he makes up for it in spades with his high hockey IQ. Unfortunately, like Roy, the Habs will probably have to trade up to have a chance to draft Provorov.

The Habs will likely be in their regular draft slot between 24th - 30th, unless they trade for another pick, but Provorov is slated top ten by most lists I've seen. Jeremy Roy on the other hand could slip into Hab territory when considering the depth of quality picks, Roy's slight build will see him drop for sure. Forwards always seem to go ahead of Dmen, unless the Dman has all the prerequisites skating, offence, size and leadership. With Hanifin, Kylington, Provorov, Werenski all looking like top ten picks, Roy's rankings are all over the board and size seems to be the reason. Where the Habs will likely be choosing Meloche & Carlo are the only RD's amongst 3 LD's Zboril, Chabot & Guhle, but there are many forwards that could jump up the lists ahead of those 5 Dmen, IMHO.

J.Bracco & K.Kaprizov are two that should be ranked up in the top 20, Korostelev & Trenin should be top 30 also. I can't imagine Timmins passing on Bracco or Kaprizov if they are available unless J.Roy slips to them or Kyle Connor whose all over the board too. Definitely a BPA draft in the 1st round at least, strange picks happen every year though, I'm just confident Timmins list doesn't match the majority of teams.

I would be ecstatic to get Lawson Crouse(PWF), Novak, Kaprizov, Connor(Elite talent) truly want the Habs to draft either a PWF, an elite playmaker Konecny or Bracco, this draft seems loaded with Top End Talent. Picking the BPA in the late 1st round will be even harder than in the 2013 Entry Draft, I can barely wait to watch the Prospects Game in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that game will provide some separation between prospects in the 10 - 30 range, if not then watching the playoffs and Memorial Cup Tournament will.

I'm surprised there isn't a Memorial Cup type tournament, that features a NA team against a European/Russian team, comprised of draft eligible prospects only.(A best of seven games, first team to win 4 games takes the Cup) NHL teams and their Scouting Dept. could then gauge all of the Top Prospects against their peers, unlike the U/20 WJHC's where most of the players have already been drafted.

The Top Prospects games have been a huge success both here and in the USA, so I see no reason why a NA vs. World Prospects wouldn't be a sellout. This series would be great for everyone, prospects, NHL teams & Scouts, cities involved in staging the event and of course all of the hockey crazed fans. Hockey Futures Cup Prospects Series following the conclusion of the Memorial Cup, sponsored by the NHL/NHLPA.:nod:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i see Kaprizov as being more of a 3rd round pick due to his size and the Russian factor, he might be able to sneak into the 2nd if a team really really likes him.

Dergachyov is gonna get picked well before him imo.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs are pleased to choose from Metallurg Novokuznetsk, LW Kirill Kaprizov, with their 2nd pick 60th OV in the 2015 Entry Draft. Thank you all and congratulations will be accepted at our next Stanley Cup Parade!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i see Kaprizov as being more of a 3rd round pick due to his size and the Russian factor, he might be able to sneak into the 2nd if a team really really likes him.

Dergachyov is gonna get picked well before him imo.

A more reasonable pick at the 60th as above for Kaprizov, Bracco is about the same size and comparable in talent. I'd love to see the Habs get Crouse actually, but not too likely. Dergachov can really compete though and could be a good PWF, not the usual Russian player, Barbashev is in the same vein even though he's smaller, it shows that the Russians are starting to play a NA brand of hockey more each year. Many players to choose from, now that the KHL is having financial problems the Russian Factor won't stop teams from grabbing them, Stevie Yzerman certainly doesn't mind picking talented Russians with high draft picks. I really liked the Scherbak pick, this being a deep draft I'd love to see the Habs grab both Bracco & Kaprizov with their 1st & 2nd picks. Adding that kind of talent into the mix with JDLR, McCarron, Scherbak & Crisp, giving the Habs great balance amongst their forwards. Not all of Hudon, Thomas, Bournival, Andrighetto, Lehkonen are going to break into the Habs lineup, if they did great but having two more with their skill level (Bracco, Kaprizov) is just icing on the cake, IMHO. The Habs can take their time in signing those two while they hone their skills in College & KHL respectively. There's only so much room in Hamilton so the Habs could draft Bracco,(College) watched him play with Eichel at the USA Prospect game, I liken him somewhat to P.Kane, very deceptive player. Taking Kaprizov (KHL) they can wait also while he develops, another Ace in the hole for 4-5 yrs. from now, IMHO.:nod: Another Russian with more size is Korostelev, he could be available in the 2nd, the Habs could move up for him.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
What are the thoughts on Svechnikov?

Should be close to our draft range, big skilled offensive winger with reported questionable defense, anyone seen him play much?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Should be close to our draft range, big skilled offensive winger with reported questionable defense, anyone seen him play much?

Svechnikov's trainer in cape Breton trains a lot of Tampa Bay's players, so Tampa & Stevie Yzerman will know him pretty well. Apparently he's a really hard worker constantly working out in his time off in the gym 2-3 hrs ahead of teammates. He had a growth spurt last summer of 3" and is now over 200 lbs. & 6'3", before coming over he was regarded as the top Russian for 2015(He plays all three forward positions & is getting better with his two/way play). Provorov(LD) 6'0 & 200 lbs. now holds that mantle, leading WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings defence, while being ranked in the Top Ten for 2015.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Svechnikov's trainer in cape Breton trains a lot of Tampa Bay's players, so Tampa & Stevie Yzerman will know him pretty well. Apparently he's a really hard worker constantly working out in his time off in the gym 2-3 hrs ahead of teammates. He had a growth spurt last summer of 3" and is now over 200 lbs. & 6'3", before coming over he was regarded as the top Russian for 2015(He plays all three forward positions & is getting better with his two/way play). Provorov(LD) 6'0 & 200 lbs. now holds that mantle, leading WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings defence, while being ranked in the Top Ten for 2015.

So we need to finish behind Tampa and the Rangers then to get a sniff, thanks for the info

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
http://thehockeywriters.com/2015-nhl-mock-draft-new-years-edition/

Real good mock draft, just hit home how good the Sabres could be in a year or two.

With Nolan coaching them, that too is a great advantage, Nolan's known for being a players coach, his players love playing for him, his teams often overachieve, Guy Boucher is another coach like Nolan, whose passion for the game and teaching methods lead their teams to success. Sometimes it seems like overnight their team chemistry grows into a veteran like competitive spirit, that can beat any team caught unaware of the effort they bring. Noticed with Buffalo's surprising upturn for many fans that weren't aware of Nolan's past history as a coach. This season's success will only grow with the maturing of Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Reinhart and many other very talented high character prospects with leadership qualities. Under Nolan's guidance these types of prospects development will most assuredly be very good to excellent, like you say Buffalo Sabres will be surprising for many fans. Unlike the Edmonton Oilers fate which appears to be the total opposite of the Sabres, the Oilers coaching woes are fast becoming legendary, not befitting their once proud franchise during their dynasty days with Gretzky / Messier / Coffey / Fuhr. :nod:

Dec 2, 2010
A lot of rankings have them both really low. They're both very high on mine and I think they'll go much higher in the draft.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I watched it as well and came away real impressed with him. Of course it helps that he had a 3 points night and the whole announcing team gushing all over him :P . His skating in particular is something else, it looks so effortless that you almost have the optical illusion that he's not moving at all. Top notch smarts and readings. The only thing he lacks is that 6ft2 projectable frame. But he's stocky, I don't worry too much about him strenght wise.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Ryan McDonagh is the type of defenseman that we desperately need. And he's not 6ft4. If Melocheis available and projected to become a reliablr 2-way dmen, then we should go for it. With injuries, some prospects are falling and we should keep an eye on Mathew Barzal and Kyle Connor. Connor has been really underrated up til now in recent mocks.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

He used to be my 2nd favourite prospect, until I had the pleasure of watching Ivan Provorov yesterday. As long as both J. Roy and Provorov are gone, I would be more than satisfied by selecting Svechnikov.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
It takes one team that loves him. Wherever Groulx lands, Carrier could follow. He's a 2nd round talent, and at this point in time, I have a hard time imagining a 0,75PPG D that is even better defensively lasting till the 5th round. Could see him get in the 3rd due to the strength of the draft and the fact that he's 5'11, but early 4th round is a worst case scenario IMO.

Personally, right now with the picks we have, I'd go for Thomas Chabot in the 1st and Guillaume Brisebois in the 2nd.

2015 is the year to go local. As RLR were saying, as many as 24 players could get picked in the first few rounds.

This. Groulx really loves him. Honestly, right now, I really can't say who is my second favourite Q Dmen after JRoy. Either Meloche, Zboril or Carrier. If we can have him late second round, I would be really happy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I hope Bergevin drafts Nicolas Meloche.

A smooth skating defenceman who can put up points, utilizing his strength behind his shot, and plays with an edge. Has very good awareness on the ice, and notices possible scoring chances before they happen. Very intelligent defensively and makes high percentage decisions in his own end. When at the top of his game, Nicolas Meloche can be a game-changing, physical two-way defenceman. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Where is Meloche ranked?

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Where is Meloche ranked?

Right where the Habs have a shot at him!

1 McDavid, Connor C 1/13/1997 L 6.00.75 195 Erie OHL
2 Eichel, Jack C 10/28/1996 R 6.02 196 Boston University H.E.
3 Crouse, Lawson LW 6/23/1997 L 6.04 211 Kingston OHL
4 Hanifin, Noah LD 1/25/1997 L 6.02.75 203 Boston College H.E.
5 Rantanen, Mikko RW 10/29/1996 L 6.04 195 TPS Turku FinE
6 Werenski, Zach RD 7/19/1997 L 6.02 206 Michigan BigTen
7 Strome, Dylan C 3/7/1997 L 6.03 187 Erie OHL
8 Barzal, Mathew C 5/26/1997 R 5.11.25 175 Seattle WHL
9 Marner, Mitchell C 5/5/1997 R 5.11 155 London OHL
10 Provorov, Ivan LD 1/13/1997 L 6.00 191 Brandon WHL
11 Zacha, Pavel C 4/6/1997 L 6.03 210 Sarnia OHL
12 Kylington, Oliver RD 5/19/1997 L 6.00 180 AIK IF SweAl
13 Merkley, Nick C 5/23/1997 R 5.10.5 191 Kelowna WHL
14 Konecny, Travis C 3/11/1997 R 5.09.75 174 Ottawa OHL
15 Connor, Kyle C 12/9/1996 L 6.01 182 Youngstown USHL
16 White, Colin RW 1/30/1997 R 6.00 183 USA Under-18 NTDP USHL